Little Finger, I can't believe there are people who don't like little finger

Little finger is clever and cunning. The true master of the Game of Thrones. The whole point is that he's able to stab enemies in the back who don't see him coming. The fact that he's managed to amass huge amounts of powers without anyone considering him a serious threat, it what makes him so impressive. Through the course of the first three books he's able to gain control of the known living heirs of the North and the Vale while himself becoming Lord Paramount of The Riverlands. Little finger becomes the heir to Hoster Tully's grand alliance and he does to while also removing three effective King's Hand and dismantling Lanister power. Who is left to oppose Little Finger? Roose Bolton probably can't even fend off the remnants of Stannis' army. Cersei is ruling/ruining the kingdom and Casterly Rock. Lady Olena is an ally (for now) and soon he (through Cersei) will set The Crown and The Reach against each other.

He's more devious than Varys, more clever the Tyrion, more powerful than Doran Martel. And unlike Tyrion he has no powerful father, feared brother or vast wealth with which to augment his arsenal. He accomplishes in less than 30 years what the Frey's have been striving for 600. He does it without creating blood feuds with half the noble families in the 7 kingdoms. And, he does it using nothing but his wits.

V%252520little%252520finger.png

The two things I don't think he's accounted for are Danny and The Others and both have super natural powers at their disposal so I don't really think he can be blamed for that. Which puts me in the mind of that quote from Arya, "She remembered a story Old Nan had told once, about a man imprisoned in a dark castle by evil giants. He was very brave and smart and he tricked the giants and escaped... but no sooner was he outside the castle than the Others took him, and drank his hot red blood. Now she knew how he must have felt."

...Also, he's telling Sansa too much. That could well be his downfall.

@Howland Reed's Wrath, I admire what LF managed to achieve, just as I admire Tywin Lannister, I just happen to think they are both assholes as people.

Btw, as much as Lysa was annoying me, his last phrase to her was just stone cold cruelty.

Yeah little finger is an asshole but most of the people in the story are assholes. I don't think he's any worse than the typical lord in Westeros. Who are the nice people in the story? Ned? Edmure Tully? Being nice just brings down ruinous devastation upon your people. Doran Martell, you could argue for him but he's born into hereditary position. There's no real evidence anyone who seeks social mobility can afford to be a nice person and probably no one who seeks to keep their present position.

I've loved LF from the very first moment we were introduced to him in King's Landing, the love only blossomed when he killed The Most Annoyingly Self Righteous and Uptight Character That Has Ever Been In Any Book Since Ever (also known as Eddard Stark) and he's only been getting better to me since. I would love to see a showoff between him and Varys, or them plotting together to WINEVERYTHING but a showoff would be better.

His ONLY flaw IMO is his gross infatuation with Sansa. Git ovr eet duud.

Davos Seaworth.

First of all, I love Davos (and the Starks for that matter). However, 1) he has a long life of being a criminal. 2) he gets 4 of his sons killed and is only saved himself by the intervention of the Drowned God (or luck). 3) its not clear he achieves any advancement, what exactly is the status of his Keep? Can't we assume his lands have been seized along with the Florents and the Tullys and have been bestowed on some minor knight. His wife and children could well be out in the cold for all he knows,

I love Littlefinger as a character, but would detest him as a person (just like most everyone else).

But as far as comparing him to Varys....I think everyone needs to remember that Littlefinger serves himself, and Varys serves the realm. They both set events into motion and influence people/outcomes, but they do so for very, very different reasons.

I love Littlefinger as a character, but would detest him as a person (just like most everyone else).

But as far as comparing him to Varys....I think everyone needs to remember that Littlefinger serves himself, and Varys serves the realm. They both set events into motion and influence people/outcomes, but they do so for very, very different reasons.

I don't buy Varys's "serving the realm" claims. Remember that he was planning a Dothraki invasion, and is now starting a war with the winter starting and with the previous war devastating a big portion of Westeros. At least is honestly selfish.

I don't like persons who are, to quote the OP, stabbing others in the back. Especially is those others are everyone else but him.

As a character he's OK, but mostly one-note so far. Some good witticisms when Ned was involved, though, there's that. I realize I don't care that much about him. He's there to crumble pathetically when Sansa will soar, anyway.

First of all, I love Davos (and the Starks for that matter). However, 1) he has a long life of being a criminal. 2) he gets 4 of his sons killed and is only saved himself by the intervention of the Drowned God (or luck). 3) its not clear he achieves any advancement, what exactly is the status of his Keep? Can't we assume his lands have been seized along with the Florents and the Tullys and have been bestowed on some minor knight. His wife and children could well be out in the cold for all he knows,

I'm glad you love Davos too.

1) Criminality is not the same is immorality. LF is clearly immoral and criminal while Davos is just criminal.

2) The battle of the Blackwater is hardly his fault.

3) The advancement he achieves is from commoner to Knight to Lord to Hand of the King. We can assume that he has lost his lands but he will have that and more if Stannis wins the Throne. LF has become Lord Paramount of the Trident, but he will only keep that status if the Lannisters hold the throne- the Riverlords are definitely not going to bow to him without the Crown backing that claim. He has become Lord Protector of the Vale, but this only holds as long he is able to keep the support of Lords of the Vale. He has Sansa, who knows what exactly he is planning for her but he can only control the North through her so long as he keeps Sansa's support and the support of the Lords of the North. So basically both Davos and LF have risen very high but will only sustain their status if they ultimately win. Davos has risen from a lower position (commoner) than LF started with to a higher position (Hand of the King) than LF has yet achieved. True, ultimately he could lose that position, but so too could Littlefinger lose his position.

I agree Littlefinger is a very interesting and well written character, and he has clearly risen to greatness in Westerosi terms. But I don't really 'like' him and I do like Davos because Davos has risen to greatness while keeping his goodness.

Little finger is clever and cunning. The true master of the Game of Thrones. The whole point is that he's able to stab enemies in the back who don't see him coming. The fact that he's managed to amass huge amounts of powers without anyone considering him a serious threat, it what makes him so impressive. Through the course of the first three books he's able to gain control of the known living heirs of the North and the Vale while himself becoming Lord Paramount of The Riverlands. Little finger becomes the heir to Hoster Tully's grand alliance and he does to while also removing three effective King's Hand and dismantling Lanister power. Who is left to oppose Little Finger? Roose Bolton probably can't even fend off the remnants of Stannis' army. Cersei is ruling/ruining the kingdom and Casterly Rock. Lady Olena is an ally (for now) and soon he (through Cersei) will set The Crown and The Reach against each other.

He's more devious than Varys, more clever the Tyrion, more powerful than Doran Martel. And unlike Tyrion he has no powerful father, feared brother or vast wealth with which to augment his arsenal. He accomplishes in less than 30 years what the Frey's have been striving for 600. He does it without creating blood feuds with half the noble families in the 7 kingdoms. And, he does it using nothing but his wits.

First off I don't think he's that good. Varys is a better manipulator, tyrion has more cojones than him, and Doran knows WHEN to play it safe.

but once his misdeeds are coming into light he will die FAST

the ones left to oppose LF are, The BWB(undermining his authority in Riveralnds) a Stewards daughter , a red she-wolf, and LF himself

Edit: I love to hate LF (he is just Scum imho)

IMO what LF has built with all his scheming is a house of cards. All it would take to bring it tumbling down is one wrong word in one person's ear, and he is done for. His schemes depend entirely on some bizarre soap-operaish idea of pitting everyone against each other while remaining silently in the background. Sooner or later someone is going to connect the dots (or Sansa will connect them for everyone) and his house of cards will meet him at the bottom of the Eryie, as they all fly out the Moon Door.

Archived