Are some of us taking ASOIAF too seriously?

ServantOnIce

I enjoy ASOIAF, but I know it is fantasy . . . just like Archie, Betty and Veronica (my favorite mythology), none of it is real.

Why are folks all over the internet getting bent out of shape at Martin for not living up to their myopic views about his fantasy world?

George Lucas ran into the same things with his prequels (which were awful) but again it is their story let them tell it how they want to and let us enjoy it.

I mean really folks are upset (other websites) that the Qaartheen are not all "milk white?" That the show may while keeping many events true to the book may deviate in some ways?

Really?? Folks arguing whether this city is really that city . .or this race that race . . go easy folks none of it is real. Let us just have fun and as Martin says, "All go off shivering in winter together."

Somewhere, on the Internet someone is asking if the new Cheryl character is ruining the "Betty and Veronica" dynamic . .

Are you asking if people have expectations for the show that are too high? Yes, absolutely. The TV show is not ASOIAF transformed into visuals, its a TV show based on ASOIAF. Of course there will be differences, its a completely different medium. So far I think they've done an incredible job.

How DARE you imply that aSoIaF is ANYTHING less than reality?! aSoIaF is BETTER than reality! It's the best piece of literature to ever grace this world, even better than the Bible! And look what a big hullabaloo people make of THAT! I for one, and nay not a single member of the Choir of Ice and Fire, may rest until the Song is spread to the four corners of the world and it is accepted as the new ethical and moral authority on which we should base all decisions!

And THEN heathens like thee will BURN for the Red God R'hllor for yee BLASPHEMY!

How DARE you imply that aSoIaF is ANYTHING less than reality?! aSoIaF is BETTER than reality! It's the best piece of literature to ever grace this world, even better than the Bible! And look what a big hullabaloo people make of THAT! I for one, and nay not a single member of the Choir of Ice and Fire, may rest until the Song is spread to the four corners of the world and it is accepted as the new ethical and moral authority on which we should base all decisions!

And THEN heathens like thee will BURN for the Red God R'hllor for yee BLASPHEMY!

THIS!

Someone should burn this heretic as a sacrifice to R'hllor!

*goes back to keep staring at the fire*

Yes, a lot of people get too upset if something they don't like happens, but it's normal. Although some people do take it TOO seriously.

I've done it sometimes, especially when I was younger, now I don't care so much.

Well, it's more than just a fantasy story now. It's a franchise. Coincidentally, it happens to be an incredibly well-realized franchise brimming with rich, complex characters, which naturally leads to a lot more investment from its fans.

It's not surprising, and while the sheer degree of nitpickery can get a little ridiculous ("Lysa Tully isn't a heinously overweight monster in the HBO series!? MAAAARRRTTTIINN!"), there's nothing wrong with a little passion. Passion is sexy.

Nah, we don' t take it too seriously. In this day and age imaginary characters mean more to us than real people. Personally I don think anything is wrong with that(within reason). I mean a lot of people think jesus is imaginary, but 2. billion people take him very seriously. So, no. We can identify with characters instead of people because when we read a story we invade a characters mind, which we obviously cant do in the real world.

I am new to this and I am truly shocked at some of the posts I have seen. Some of these people should have stopped reading upon the first murder. This is just too real for them.

I see your point but I think that people reactions in this forum are partly due to the fact that we talk about ASOIAF events too much and in detail. I believe that we get so "obsessed" because in *real* life we are unable to talk about these stuff so all of the enthusiasm is carried in here.

I can think of a few...

It's just a TV show. All I care about is that I am entertained. The Books are NOT the TV show. Ever notice how things are "BASED UPON" That means it's not a literal translation. Quite frankly, a literal translation of ASoIaF would be obnoxious and ridiculous. What an author needs a chapter to describe can be achieved in a single shot. You also have the issue of interpretation. What one person sees or imagines, may be different than another. Seems silly to change an entire show to please a few people...

I, for one, applaud the changes. Keeps things interesting.

At the end of the Sopranos I was so pissed because of the lame ending. What happens to Meadow? Tony, A.J? And that show sucked compared to every ASOIAF episode. Yes we take it seriously or else we would all read romance novels and watch The Talk every day. Best series since LOTR.

There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery.

Nah, we don' t take it too seriously. In this day and age imaginary characters mean more to us than real people. Personally I don think anything is wrong with that(within reason). I mean a lot of people think jesus is imaginary, but 2. billion people take him very seriously. So, no. We can identify with characters instead of people because when we read a story we invade a characters mind, which we obviously cant do in the real world.

:agree:

GRRM can't be blamed for anything in the HBO show of GoT, when it comes to the show not being the same as the book. Because GRRM does not control the show. So if your going to be mad at anyone in regards to the show not being exactly like the books, then be mad at the right people. GRRM is only like a consultant, when it comes to the TV show. And GRRM only writes for one eppisode of the show each season(for season two GRRM gets to write "The battle of Kinglanding" episode, and I'm really excited!!!!)

But for the most part the show stays accurate to the books, because that was a wish of GRRM, when he agreed to let HBO do the show. But Martin can't stop them, if the ultimately want to change something, and usually the only time they change things, is because of budgetary reasons(like when the HBO version had Tyrion get knocked out in the show, instead of showing Tyrion kick ass in that battle).

Or they might change things because it's to hard to follow on screen, because unlike when reading the book, when you watch the show you don't get to read the characters thoughts....basically the show only changes things for reasons like I have listed.

GRRM has even said that some of the changes in the show are even better then in the book, GRRM has also said things like "why didn't I think of doing it that way", in reference to some of the changes in the show.

But again for the most part nobody should be mad at anything, because the show has done a pretty great job at translating the book, to being "on screen". (the HBO show GoT has done a way better job then other examples of translating a book to a show, like True Blood, Dexter, etc.... Those shows are great, but they are much different than the books)

So I for one am very grateful, that HBO did not make a bastardization of a great Book, when it comes to the show Game of Thrones.

Here is video where GRRM talks about some of the changes from the book, to the show, and how he is happy with everything so far when it comes to the show.

(I just want to worn you, this video is like over an hour long, and they talk about lots of different stuff in it, but some of that stuff is relevant to my post, and where I'm getting some of my information from.)

That's my two cents on the topic.

Archived