Are some of us taking ASOIAF too seriously?

ServantOnIce

Yes, I agree that some take this waaaay too seriously, but I also wonder, what is "it" about this series that has so many fans all around the world? Dare I say, this is the most popular fantasy epic ever written? (Don't hurt me!) :unsure:

Yes, I agree that some take this waaaay too seriously, but I also wonder, what is "it" about this series that has so many fans all around the world? Dare I say, this is the most popular fantasy epic ever written? (Don't hurt me!) :unsure:

This is a good question.

And I can only speak for myself, but, with all respect to Tolkien for being the founding father of modern fantasy (etc., etc.), overall I much prefer Martin's series to Tolkien's.

*runs for the hills*

This is a good question.

And I can only speak for myself, but, with all respect to Tolkien for being the founding father of modern fantasy (etc., etc.), overall I much prefer Martin's series to Tolkien's.

*runs for the hills*

I had to MAKE myself read the LOTR, I know that makes me all kinds of awful but really that kind of old writing just REALLY put me off. And the singing, OH EM GEE the singing. It was like High School Musical but medieval and with old people.

At the end of the Sopranos I was so pissed because of the lame ending. What happens to Meadow? Tony, A.J? And that show sucked compared to every ASOIAF episode. Yes we take it seriously or else we would all read romance novels and watch The Talk every day. Best series since LOTR.

There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery.

I disagree. GoT has had a very good first season, balancing popular appeal with,generally, approval from fans. Really, the ones who are "superangry" about something in the adaptation are nitpicking imo. And unrealistic as well. I saw someone say that they should plan 22 episodes per season.... With the big cast and budget constraints, that's just hoping for too much. Sometimes less is more btw, especially with the visual medium.

Aaaaaaanyway.... I disagree that GoT was better than Sopranos. Too soon to say and besides, i personally think that the sopranos has more depth than asoiaf.

Get the pitchforks out!

I had to MAKE myself read the LOTR, I know that makes me all kinds of awful but really that kind of old writing just REALLY put me off. And the singing, OH EM GEE the singing. It was like High School Musical but medieval and with old people.

Heh, yeah, the songs annoyed me as well.

Overall I prefer Martin because he has dynamic characters, whereas Tolkien doesn't. I do kind of like Tolkien's prose style, though.

This is a good question.

*runs for the hills*

its a good thing you ran :P

IMHO Tolkien had a far better knowledge of how to put words on paper. But of course, he was a professor after all! For me this is quite obvious when you compare the settings descriptions of Tolkien and Martin (with all the respect mr. Martin!). And also the backbone of LOTR was much more solid (but then again one may claim that we are not familiar yet with the backbone of ASOIAF).

what makes ASOIAF more interesting in someways (still Tolkien's work is the top for me), is that events and characters are cruel, terrifying, ugly and unpredictable even if we're talking about the good ones!

MHO Tolkien had a far better knowledge of how to put words on paper. But of course, he was a professor after all!

And not just a professor but a proffie of Anglo-Saxon. :bowdown: Hence the boss-ness of the Rohirrim and the languages.

Hmmm, maybe it's time to go reread Tolkien and reassess my opinion. *scratches head*

its a good thing you ran :P

IMHO Tolkien had a far better knowledge of how to put words on paper. But of course, he was a professor after all!

He had far better knowledge of how put words on paper...but... he didn't know when to stop putting words on paper.

The entire world he created is amazing, that much is obvious, but the LOTR books read like history manuals for the most part and as novels they make for extremely tedious reading.

As a writer, world builder, linguist and "word crafter" he was no doubt leagues beyond most, if not all, fantasy (or non-fantasy as a matter of fact) writers. As a novelist, I wouldn't put him in my top 10.

GRR might not have the linguistic virtuosity JRR had but he no doubt knows much better how to write a thrilling story.

*runs for the hills too*

And not just a professor but a proffie of Anglo-Saxon. :bowdown: Hence the boss-ness of the Rohirrim and the languages.

Hmmm, maybe it's time to go reread Tolkien and reassess my opinion. *scratches head*

Christ, I would have thought it would take at least five posts to change you from your "controversial" opinion.

I have loved Lord of the Rings every sense I was a kid. Me and one of my friends were so into LOTR, that we even learned how to read and write elvesh, (the elvish writing from the books anyway). I also have three of the swords from the LOTR movies(Glamdring, Narsil, and Sting)

(just letting you know how much I am a nerd when it comes to LOTR.)

Anyway I am still a huge, huge fan of LOTR, but for me ASoIaF beats LOTR.

Again don't get me wrong I love LOTR!!!

But I love ASoIaF way more!!!! Lol

Everything about aSoIaF is better, to me, then LOTR.

One of those things that make aSoIaF better for me is, I just get way way way more invested in the characters of aSoIaF, then with LOTR.

Lol if you want to hate me now, bring it on! Lol because I will defend aSoIaF to the death!!!

(I think that last line fits in with the topic, of people taking aSoIaF to serious lol)

I love the books. I love the show. There are differences, the writers couldn't literally translate E V E R Y T H I N G from book to screen, that wouldn't have worked. I just go with the changes they've made (except Ros... :P ) and I really, REALLY enjoy it. They could have BUTCHERED it but they've done an absolutely incredible job. D.B. and Dan are fans themselves which makes all the difference...

Yeah, people should chill out about slight changes - Lysa might not have been tubby enough but she was still BATSHIT crazy and creepy which is all that mattered.

I especially hate how people are slagging off the actresses for not being hot enough, they're all beautiful (and no, there is nobody anywhere with purple eyes, so GET OVER IT.) I've seen some cruel things about Sophie Turner which isn't fair because she's perfect for Sansa. (San/San fans, I'm so sorry Sandor didn't tell Sansa about his burns, but move on...)

The 'milk-men' stuff doesn't matter because the art production video showed us some of Qarth and it looks absolutely stunning, and it seems that they are livening up that storyline a bit.

And LOTR and ASOIAF really shouldn't be compared....no. I love them both but they are too different. And if any hardcore Tolkein purists are summoned to this thread...they are a mighty bunch, I would not dare argue that GRRM is a better fantasy writer that JRRTolkein with them. You have been warned.

And I love the songs they sing in the LOTR books. That's a whole chunk of the spirit of the Lord of the Rings...I actually kinda feel sorry for those who can't get that.

He had far better knowledge of how put words on paper...but... he didn't know when to stop putting words on paper.

The entire world he created is amazing, that much is obvious, but the LOTR books read like history manuals for the most part and as novels they make for extremely tedious reading.

As a writer, world builder, linguist and "word crafter" he was no doubt leagues beyond most, if not all, fantasy (or non-fantasy as a matter of fact) writers. As a novelist, I wouldn't put him in my top 10.

GRR might not have the linguistic virtuosity JRR had but he no doubt knows much better how to write a thrilling story.

*runs for the hills too*

well, I believe you've got a point there. Tolkien's work refers to a world where pretty much everything is done out in the open air, without plotting and scheming, without many riddles and unpredictable turn-outs. But for me, reading a nicely written book is sometimes the same, or even more, important than the plot itself. I guess it depends on reader's personal taste :)

and guys, stop running, I'm an old lady, how am I supposed to chase you youngsters?????

[edit: I obviously love ASOIAF as well since I'm here. For quite different reasons than LoTR ;)]

One of those things that make aSoIaF better for me is, I just get way way way more invested in the characters of aSoIaF, then with LOTR.

This is exactly my experience. To be fair, I don't think that writing multi-dimensional, dynamic characters was on Tolkien's agenda; he seemed more interested in sketching, then expanding, then mythologizing a world for his invented languages. So in terms of the building of mythology, Tolkien rules all. But he doesn't have the psychological realism going for his characters that Martin does.

I'm a new convert- I only picked up GoT halfway through the HBO series, but have reread all of the books at least twice (except ADwD), and actually started annotating before I realized I was going to loan these things to every damn person I knew.

I *dream* about this stuff. I love LotR (once bet with a cousin on who could make a complete listing of the kings of Numenor, Gondor and/or Arnor the fastest; I won), fantasy, and medieval history, but never quite got into any thing as much as this damn series. I don't know if it's the realism, the increasing amount of social naturalism, or the crazy prophetic fantasy, or how it all comes together, but ASoIaF is CRACK.

Yeah, I take ASoIaF seriously, so fucking what?

Let me tell you a story, bitch.

Once upon a time I was reading A Clash of Kings and the Kettleblack brothers were introduced. I couldn't tell them apart. It was bad enough with three of them, but when their father was thrown into the mix, it was disastrous. Getting their names straight was such a chore I started to call them the Multiple O's.

I was talking to my best friend about how hard it was to keep track of these guys (he's never read GRRM's stuff, by the way), when I mentioned my Multiple O's quirk. He told me Multiple O's sounded like it stood for "multiple orgasms." I told him he was right, and that we should start a band called Multiple O. He agreed, and we went on to sell nearly 1 album.

That's how I learned the true meaning of

I'm sorry, but A Song of Ice and Fire is more than just Fantasy to me, it's a way GRRM tells life experience and ideals and principles in the form of characers. In such a manner, that I grow attached to some characters and can relate to them.

The whole Kingdoms and Knighthood and Lordships and Dragons is just so vivid, I'm in love with it.

If I'm a bit crazy for saying that, so be it!

I love Tyrion, Bran, Jon, Sam, Davos, Eddard, Maester Aemon, Lord Commander Mormont and Viserys. They are my favourite characters. I hope I did not miss a few.

At the end of the Sopranos I was so pissed because of the lame ending. What happens to Meadow? Tony, A.J? And that show sucked compared to every ASOIAF episode. Yes we take it seriously or else we would all read romance novels and watch The Talk every day. Best series since LOTR.

There is no curse in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of men for this treachery.

if u think the sopranos ending was a let down you obviously didn't read between the lines like you do for asoiaf read this:

http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/

Archived