Are some of us taking ASOIAF too seriously?

ServantOnIce

I think the thing that drives me the most crazy are people expecting a show or movie to be the exact replica of a book. You are comparing two different mediums. Books can get away with a lot of stuff that no movie or TV show will ever be able to get away with. Period. Do I honestly think

Ramsay Bolton's wedding night to fake Arya

will actually be done the way it goes down in the book? No, because there would be a lot of outrage. So don't start bitching at a show or movie for not being exactly as the book.

Books are written word. You can go more in depth with a character's thoughts and emotions than can ever be conveyed on screen. Movies and TV shows are visual. So you have to try your best to show a character's motivation. With the exception of annoying voiceovers to convey a character's true thoughts and emotions, things have been changed. Dialogue needs to be added to explain things. More action is needed. And, you have to "dumb" things done to what audiences expect. This is why people almost always complain the book was better. And that will include this series no matter how well written, well acted, and well directed it is.

I for one, don't mind changes as long as they make sense and aren't done poorly, which so far the majority of them haven't been. The only change I didn't really like was giving LF the chance to tell why The Hound got his scars. That's a cool part of the books. And even though I wanted to see the TOJ scene, it's not too vital the first book's story. Renly being changed was probably my biggest grievance with the show. Other changes were pretty unimportant, like Dany's eyes not being purple,or Lysa being skinnier.

• 3 weeks later...

Fans of various always freak out when something new doesn't match their perception of the original material. It's amusing. The Simpsons made a joke about it. Sadly I can't find a youtube clip of it.

I personally find things much more enjoyable to take as completely separate entities. I found Jaime to be a boring character until Book 3 (where he is fascinating), however he has been fascinating in the series since episode 1. On the other hand, the Hound has basically been left behind in the show, we'll see if they push him forward as his role becomes more important.

Archived