Patchface Project

Albatros

What if he only talks about the sea so much because he drowned. What if he refers to everything under the sea because he thinks he's still there, or can't get rid of the thought of drowning? Maybe he literally thinks he saw those things under water while he was down there? Melisandre's opinion of him gives me cause to think that he is some sort of cannibal with the blood on his lips and surrounded by skulls.. maybe he needed to eat people while out at sea to survive? Or maybe he is the Drowned God? I dunno..

I'm curious to know what the Damphair would have to say about Patchface...

He'd announce another Kings Moot and try to crown him in another failed attempt to stop Euron

Joking aside, I keep getting the feeling that Damphair is like the Mel of Drowned God religion, i.e. Strong faith but easily misinterprets what he see.

Patchface jumped up. “I will lead it!” His bells rang merrily. “We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

This could be referring to the three dragon riders having died and came back. Dany from the flames, Tyrion from the river, and Jon from the stabbing.

If the Drowned God does speak through him, maybe the "I will lead it" is referring to him somehow bringing the three of them together.

"Fool's blood, king's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye."

The middle one fits with my theory well. It's not happening far away, because Mel the shadowbinder is right there. The Red Wedding prophecy does not seem to fit, because it clearly happened somewhere where Stannis &co weren't. I'm not sure how significant the lack of the "under the sea" line is, though - could be that Patchface just couldn't make it rhyme, so he left it out. :devil: Or could be that the way Patchface sees it is that the RW didn't happen "somewhere far away where you can't see" because Mel in her way could see it, and perhaps even had a hand in bringing it about.

I also agree that this prophecy is not referring to the Red Wedding. No pun intended, but I think the Red Wedding is a "red herring" for both this prophecy and the vision in the house of the undying where Dany views something that we've all assumed is the Red wedding. Martin has purposely made the events of the Red Wedding mirror the prophecy so we assume that is the meaning of the prophecy and move on. I think this was done intentionally to throw us off the true meaning of patchfaces prophecy.

I think the above prophecy is an event that has yet to occur. I think the reference to Fool is a reference to Tyrion. I think the reference to King is a reference to Jon. And I think the reference to blood on a maiden's thigh is a reference to either Dany, or her dragons or both.

There is a whole lot of "fool" imagery when it comes to Tyrion, from his cover stories, to his past memories growing up in Castle Rock, even to his attire he wears in the last book. In the first book, Mormont's raven stares at Tyrion and yells fool three times.

Likewise there is a lot of "King" imagery surrounding Jon. There is a scene in Clash of kings where the raven stares at Jon and yells King three times at him.

Blood on a maiden's thigh: blood on Dany's thigh is referenced at least once in Game of Thrones, once preceding her failed pregnancy, and is referenced again at the end of the last book. Since her previous miscarriage preceded the "birth" of her dragons, I wonder if it references Dany's dragons.

My guess is that this prophecy will deal with the final confrontation, where Jon and Tyrion may find themselves as dragon riders going into battle against the Others. I think for them to be a dragon rider, it is going to take a blood ritual that Dany is going to preside over.

As for the references to "chains", and the guests and the bridegroom. I wonder if the bridegroom refers to Aegon and his inability to ride a dragon. Likewise, the "guests" that are referred to may be other protaganists in the books that will be unable to be dragon riders. The reference to chains may also refer to the Maesters (who wear chains as a symbol of their order).

I think the above prophecy is an event that has yet to occur. I think the reference to Fool is a reference to Tyrion. I think the reference to King is a reference to Jon. And I think the reference to blood on a maiden's thigh is a reference to either Dany, or her dragons or both.

My guess is that this prophecy will deal with the final confrontation, where Jon and Tyrion may find themselves as dragon riders going into battle against the Others. I think for them to be a dragon rider, it is going to take a blood ritual that Dany is going to preside over.

very interesting interpretation. however, i'm not sure of tyrion being the fool only because grrm has gone to great lengths to make tyrion out to be witty and a great reader focused on acquiring knowledge. that said, there is the pig joust in adwd and his earlier bouts of sommersaults as a child. i suppose it remains to be seen how things proceed for tyrion in the next book however, if tyrion is the fool, this would be a real twist, something i would not put past martin. however, since we are "thinking out of the box" patchface is definitely "the fool". could he be talking about himself?

i agree the king could be jon. but, again, if we are going out of the box, stannis is already a king of sorts. and what if the maiden is shireen and patchface is talking about HER own wedding where her bridegroom is being forced to marry her? or another girl of noble birth such as asha? now all of this assumes the prophecy is NOT talking about dragon riders but just a prophecy. i admit this is really out there but once i read your post, it got me thinking.

very interesting interpretation. however, i'm not sure of tyrion being the fool only because grrm has gone to great lengths to make tyrion out to be witty and a great reader focused on acquiring knowledge. that said, there is the pig joust in adwd and his earlier bouts of sommersaults as a child. i suppose it remains to be seen how things proceed for tyrion in the next book however, if tyrion is the fool, this would be a real twist, something i would not put past martin. however, since we are "thinking out of the box" patchface is definitely "the fool". could he be talking about himself?

i agree the king could be jon. but, again, if we are going out of the box, stannis is already a king of sorts. and what if the maiden is shireen and patchface is talking about HER own wedding where her bridegroom is being forced to marry her? or another girl of noble birth such as asha? now all of this assumes the prophecy is NOT talking about dragon riders but just a prophecy. i admit this is really out there but once i read your post, it got me thinking.

I don't think Tyrion playing the part of "the fool" by Martin is meant as an insult. In Medeivel times the fool was basically a comedian, the one who would make witty references to people and events. Before the shipwreck Patchface, while a "fool" was considered very witty and intelligent. There are many references to a clever fool in the stories, I believe that Tyrion fits that description. Also go back to the prologue in ACOK. An interesting jape about the clever fool and the foolish wise man.

I think Stannis, like his sword, is a false king. Ultimately these prophecies detail the grand finale to this story and I think that it is reasonable to assume this finale will involve the three major protagonists.

I don't think Tyrion playing the part of "the fool" by Martin is meant as an insult. In Medeivel times the fool was basically a comedian, the one who would make witty references to people and events. Before the shipwreck Patchface, while a "fool" was considered very witty and intelligent. There are many references to a clever fool in the stories, I believe that Tyrion fits that description. Also go back to the prologue in ACOK. An interesting jape about the clever fool and the foolish wise man.

I think Stannis, like his sword, is a false king. Ultimately these prophecies detail the grand finale to this story and I think that it is reasonable to assume this finale will involve the three major protagonists.

i agree and for what it's worth, i totally believe jon, tyrion and dany will be involved in the grand finale. my imagination just started to run wild when i read your post :P i believe patchface is going to remain an underdog character that most readers ignore or consider to be a nuisance but i disagree with that and fully expect all his prophecies to come to fruition. which goes against my rule that one must know about a prophecy for it to come true since no one listens to him. :(

Patchface jumped up. “I will lead it!” His bells rang merrily. “We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

This could be referring to the three dragon riders having died and came back. Dany from the flames, Tyrion from the river, and Jon from the stabbing.

If the Drowned God does speak through him, maybe the "I will lead it" is referring to him somehow bringing the three of them together.

I like this. In and out of the sea seems to mean death and rebirth.

Perhaps "I will lead it" means that the Great Other (as voiced by his thrall's servant) plans to take control of the dragons. What a twist that would be, eh?

[The March] Patchface jumped up. “I will lead it!” His bells rang merrily. “We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.”

I love the idea of Patchface seeing the world upside down.

A good prophecy has multiple layers. So the seahorses probably are ships, the seashells will be horns and so on. But the sigils of different houses will have something to do with this too.

Maybe it has something to do with Davos meeting with the Manderlys? And the battle for Winterfell between Stannis and Roose?

When Theon had captured Winterfell and was besieged, they were kept awake by someone blowing a horn constantly, IIRC.

My guess it has something to do with Winterfell, but there is too much we don't know about Stannis' fate to make a good interpretation.

"I will lead it!” His bells rang merrily. “We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming." = basically come die with me again, just with more elaborate description of the land of the dead.

It might be interpreted as Dany riding Drogon in the Dothraki See and back again, Vic blowing his horn.

Patchface might be somehow connected to Bloodraven. Mel saw Patchface in the flame among the sculps and with blood on his lips. She thinks Patchface is evil. BR is also seen as evil. Mel is known as a bad interpreter. She thinks that sculps mean the death and the Great Other. Sculps might be simply the sculps of the Children of Forest in that place where BR and Bran are now. Blood on the lips is the weiwoods 'blood".

Jojen has been also connected to BR. He had green dreams sent by BR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived