Ruining it for yourself.

Ser Barristan BadAss

I do it all the time. Spoiled Ned's death by googling his name and spoiled the Red Wedding and Catelyn Tully's death by reading Edric Dayne's wiki page. So Edric had like three lines of dialogue in the book and definitely did not expect his page to contain any spoilers.... Dammit.

Googling was the worst spoiler for me... you want to learn something more regarding a character - and oops, I have not reached that part of the books yet... no more google searches for characters for me... (at least until I finish AdwD, in a week or so :)

That happens from time too time, but dose not ruin the story or the reading for me, because you probably know what will happen, but you don't know where and when and the writen story is better then every spoiler can spoil you, but that's only me... :blushing: well last a good spoiler makes me to read faster, to reach the part I would like to read the whole story about

Argh I've really annoyed myself. Other than Robb's death I'd done a really good job avoiding any other spoilers, but I was just on the index page scrolling down and saw a thread title from the General ASOIAF board that spoiled something big.

I'm on ADWD currently, can't wait to be caught up so I can browse the internet freely again, it has been too long.

• 1 month later...

Just being on the forum here is a kind of Russian roulette - sometimes thread titles give more away than I'd like, no matter how careful people are. I don't THINK I've been spoilered on anything from this point on, but I knew well in advance that ASoS contained a shocking event called The Red Wedding and also that that book would "rip my heart out." I didn't know what happened at the Red Wedding, but it wasn't too far-fetched to presume it turned into a massacre. As a consequence I was on my guard in the preparations for every wedding and wasn't actually surprised by what happened. But this meant I paid more attention to the writing and the details and could appreciate the ways Martin built up the wedding to its denouement, and many events later on in that book DID shock and surprise me.

And I knew Ned Stark died, because he was played by Sean Bean in the show, and Sean Bean always dies.

• 1 month later...

This happens for me alot when I come on the forum. Usually I stick to the still reading section, but every so often I venture to the general section and more often than not I end up spoiling myself, just by reading a title alone. Also google seems to be my demise also, as I cant help but spoil major plots by looking up main characters.

I knew that there was something called "Red Wedding" in A Storm of Swords and that Robb was "briefly" married with Jeyne Westerling (thank you wiki). However, i thought that Jeyne would die and that the Red Wedding was Joffrey's wedding, so it did no harm.

I also got spoiled about Arya going blind, about Littlefinger killing Lysa, about Ygritte becoming a lover to Jon Snow (but that was pretty obvious from the beginning), about Arya not being killed by the Hound (after the RW he gave her an axe blow), about Bran and Rickon surviving Theon and about Davos not being killed by Manderly.

Sometimes even knowing that someone has a POV is a spoiler, because you know then that the character is not dead. For example, it was a tense reading for me the Jon chapter in A Storm of Swords where he and a few black brothers defend Castle Black against Magnar. Reading this shortly after the RW I was very worried about Jon's life. If I had known that Jon is a major A Dance with Dragons character (and worth many theories about his origins) the fight would have been much less enjoyable. That was the case with Bran, Arya and Davos for me.

How many times have you ruined the plot for yourself? So many times I've gone to look up after thinking 'wait, what, who is that?' Then finding out something I didn't want to know arghh. I've just found out about something that happens to a certain brother of the Night's Watch :(

So I just wanted to know how many of you out there have ruined parts of the story for yourselves?

Or just had one of the storylines ruined by someone starting a thread in a Feast For Crows forum about something I've not read about yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Too many times :( Book 1 doesn't count as I started with the TV series, but I ruined it for myself for book 2 & 3, twice on the internet and once reading a blurb. But I can say proudly that I am completely unaware of what's ahead now that I'm reading A Feast for Crows(300 pages in) and A Dance With Dragons

I got spoiled about Joff's death (not how it happened, just that he died.) because I met a boy who was reading ADWD, and I said "Oh, I doubt I'll ever get a chance to read the books, please tell me Joffrey dies!" "He does." "Whew!"

Also:

Accidently got spoiled about Arya going blind.

I've decided that no more internets for me!

I don't want anything in ADWD to be spoiled :(

Argh.. just by reading your spoiler tagged bit i spoilered that particular part for myself...

I ruined half of the red wedding (the Robb half) by googling Walder Frey, just to see a picture, and google auto suggested the spoiler :(. This happened just a few hours before I read that chapter. So don't ever google a characters name because google will auto suggest "is dead" "dies" or "kills (character)" and it sucks.

Ahhhhhh! hehe All the time!!!

I accidentally read about Cat's and Robb's death! That was by far the worst one... But in a way it made it more tense to read it knowing the outcome...

I also read that Tywin would die, but his death was surprising anyway, cause I didn't know how it would happen.

Another one: I had just finished aSoS, only the epilogue missing... but I really wanted to discuss about Lisa and Littlefinger, and ended-up finding out about zombie-Cat! So pissed! hahaha It was SO close!

I have tried to be more careful with aFFC. So far haven't spoiled anything.

Oh yes, I massively spoiled myself about Cersei's children after deciding to go google about Cersei's firstborn in the Series as compared to what she had said in the book. That was a bummer. I also spoiled the Ending of the epilogue for ADwD precisely in one of these forums. It was spoilered up and everything in a response to a thread I started (I think it was a thread about the High Sparrow) but I still opened it (I didn't have a clue it'd be about the ending of the book).

sometimes I get pissed for other people when I see certain thread titles that give out major plot storylines, but I guess at this point there isn't much you can do.

I had a friend that wanted to bleach his eyes out when he read about a certain marriage in the Novels.

I got too interested in the plot line involving Sansa, so I actually skipped ahead while still technically in the beginning of SoS all the way through to the end of AFFC and even the whole of ADWD looking for chapters dealing with Sansa, and found out some things that I wish that I hadn't. But dammit, the plot line involving Sansa and Petyr makes me so angry against him that I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next. And I got annoyed with myself when I found out that there's not nearly as much of her in the last two books as in the first three, for not being more patient. :D

Archived