Ruining it for yourself.

Ser Barristan BadAss

Make sure you do not "like" the Game of Thrones page on Facebook until after you've finished aDwD. I will never understand why some people get such a kick out of ruining things for others, but there are a great number of assholes that post enourmous spoilers in every comments section... ah, but the artwork they post is so great I couldn't help myself. Ruined three important deaths for myself.

Hodor!

Hodor, hodor! Ho-DOR, Ho-DOR...

I also watched the television serie first, after season one I started reading, so I did already know that Ned was going to die, but that didnt really matter for me, I was still devastated by his death and I dont think I will ever get over that ;) .. I can't remember spoiling deaths for myself but I knew other - less - important things, such as Tyrion exile, Sansa's marriage to Tyrion and im pretty sure there were more examples but I can't remember them.

• 4 weeks later...

AGoT spoiled by the TV-series. (I think that by the start of every episode they should inform viewers that there are books about this story that are way better than the show :P )

Read that Joffrey was gonna die in ASoS :devil:

Read that there was gonna be an event called the Red Wedding (small spoiler, and I thought it would be Joffreys wedding, but still.)

Spoiled that Lysa was gonna die, when I was just about three pages away from that event :dunno:

I guess thats it... very happy that I didn't get any really significant spoilers :cheers:

AGoT spoiled by the TV-series. (I think that by the start of every episode they should inform viewers that there are books about this story that are way better than the show :P )

It says "Based on A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin at the start of every episode....

As for me, this poster ruined AGoT (I didn't watch the first season as it aired):

http://hbowatch.com/...ones-Season.jpg

I started by watching the HBO series and then researching what I found interesting about the show. The research lead to some spoilers for me, but honestly if I haden't read at least one of the spoilers I would not have been interested enough to start reading the books. So a win-win.

Obviously since I saw the TV series first, the first 2 seasons spoiled the first 2 books.

Some moron spoiled Joffrey's death for me on Youtube. And I've also had some major stuff from ADwD spoiled (I'm not even through with the book yet) from this very forum (thread titles on the front page of the forum).

Who hasn't??? When I finish a book (since Martin saves the best for last I have noticed) I am so excited/enthralled I have to take snipits from my favorite characters in the next book. I ruined Robb and Catelyn's deaths that way.....but I guess he is just an amazing author to keep me going the way he does. This story is so amazing and entrancing that I just cant get enough :) Enjoy your reading and dont ruin too much!!!

• 1 month later...

^ That kinda happens to me, sometimes when I'm finishing a chapter I look down to the last words in the page, I don't know it's like I can't help it, and especially with ASOS all the endings were like boom! So I spoil myself seconds before but it ruins everything.

And also a few details on the internet. For the internet is dark and full of spoilers...

Watched the show before reading the books, my friend told me that "All Starks die", and read a comment on YouTube when someone was talking about how shocked they were at the death of ... in the end of ADWD. Luckily they didn't mention who it was so it just left me wondering who it might be (I was halfway through ADWD at the time).

Also, when checking the page count of ADWD I noticed a name on the last pages (The WOW sample chapter), not too bad of a spoiler I think.

I SPOILED EVERYTHING before I read ASOIAF and now I regret it... I kinda wanted to know, but now I realize it was a bad idea.. now I'm waiting for the things I know will happen, to happen.

I'm currently reading ADWD but I already know how it ends... I've tried to convince myself that I'm reading it 'cause I wanna get all the details... but still I feel like a piece of crap, 'cause I've ruined great twist plots that could have blown my mind with a right timing...

whilst reading storm of swords, i accidentally read the blurb for aDwD -

'tyrion lannister, having killed his father, and wrongfully accused of killing his nephew, king joffrey....'

i slammed it down like "whaaaa?"

My mother read this too and she tried to force me at gunpoint to tell her why. I did not back down!

A lot, because the Wiki entries for characters as well as the 'Net in general is full of spoilers. I already knew, for instance, of Joff and Tywin's deaths in Book 3, but didn't know how they died. Oberyn's death and The Red Wedding were both real shockers, though. The worst ones were knowing Theon's fate, or much of it, in Book 5, and the situ with Tyrion's nose. Regarding Theon, I'm not gonna spoiler anything about that.

I stopped looking at entries regarding characters on the 'Net as soon as I hit Book 4. :(

Oh, and the first two books I read after watching the first two TV seasons, but there were still surprising differences there.

Archived