Dragonsteel is not Valaryan Steel.

^^ Yes perhaps there is something else as well....... What is it though? the OP suggested it may be made out of dragon bones........ We already know that they make Bows out of dragon bone, I do not believe they could call something made out of bones, Dragon Steel. That makes no sense.

Velt,

Dance of the Dragons 0.0 was my original idea, I think, and you are right certain knowledge could have been lost during such a struggle - although we have yet no evidence for that. Gaemon got the name 'the Glorious' for some reason - that could suggest he was indeed continue making some Valyrian steel and selling that. Or not.

Rhaenys would not be in need of a Valyrian steel sword (or a sword at all) as she was no warrior. The name Dark Sister, however, suggests that this sword was either made by or for Visenya - or it only received its name when Visenya began to wield it. Blackfyre also could allude to the colour of the fire of the Black Dread (which would have been black), and thus suggest that it was forged on Dragonstone.

Most Valyrian steel came to Westeros in the century before the Doom when the Valyrians had already established their outpost on Dragonstone. Considering that we know that the Velaryons came to the Narrow Sea before the Targaryens the foundation of Velaryon wealth may actually have been selling Valyrian steel weapons to the kings and great lords of Westeros. But I'd not be surprised if the Targaryens had continue to sell Valyrian steel after they had arrived on Dragonstone - at least until such time as the Doom struck and it became clear that they would not get more from the Freehold.

We don't yet know how Aenar and his immediate successors position during the Century of Blood was. Did they support Volantis at one point? Had they own interests in Essos? Were they attacking everyone? Or did they keep themselves completely out of this whole thing? We don't know yet.

I'm still trying to figure out why people think Valyrian steel can't be dragonsteel based on the fact that Valyrians come after. Dragonsteel doesn't HAVE to be Valyrian steel, but Valyrian steel is a form of dragon steel. Someone most likely made it before the Valyrians.

Not when it comes to magic. George specifically designs magical aspects to be ambigious. He does not have clearcut formulas.

That mixed with his admitted timeline ambiguity should be sufficient enough to make the case that he just simply messed up on this timeline issue. The discussion does surprise me coming from you. I thought the DS=/=VS was mostly the anti-Jon crowd not wanting him to be heroic.

I'm not against the concept either and won't mind being proven wrong later. I just think the simpler explanation, that it's just a timeline oversight, makes more sense.

Given that the Targs have no glass candles or dragon horns and did not make any when they had the basic ingredients, I think it is most reasonable to assume that the Targs simply did not have the knowledge to make VS or stone.

I agree and I find that awesome. They had the basics of being Valyrian, dragons, but none of the other fantastical elements and yet still conquered.

I think the explanation is as simple as this:

Great Empire of the Dawn had dragons (at some point at least, I'm currently working on a theory that maybe the Bloodstone Emperor/Azor Ahai fucked everything up to get dragons in the first place).

Dragonsteel is the same as VS, except it was literally made before Valyria itself existed so it just has a different name, still made the same way with blood sacrifice and dragons. The Five Forts, the maze at Battle Isle that is the foundation of the Hightower, and any other plain looking but still fused stone things in the world were probably made by the Great Empire of the Dawn and their dragons through the same process as making, say Dragonstone, but before the Valyrians came along and made everything fancy looking.

^^ Yes perhaps there is something else as well....... What is it though? the OP suggested it may be made out of dragon bones........ We already know that they make Bows out of dragon bone, I do not believe they could call something made out of bones, Dragon Steel. That makes no sense.

But it does actually. Steel is made from iron.

Per Tyrion's second chapter in AGOT, the properties of dragonbone:

-black due to its high iron content

-lighter than steel

-more flexible than steel

-impervious to flame

Admittedly the last is my favorite. You'd either need to chip/grind it into shape, or use dragonflame to work it because dragonflame is no ordinary flame.

I've been saying for months that dragonsteel is weapons made from dragonbone. I never thought to start a topic on it though.

We have stories from Asshai regarding Azor Ahai (with his sword, Lightbringer) and they have a lot in common with the Last Hero, who is said to have used dragonsteel to fight the Others.

There's also the fact that Valyrian Steel is regarded as the equivalent to Damascus Steel, in which there are "instructions" where you tempered the blade in the blood of your strongest/healthiest slave so that his soul would be moulded to the blade (like how AA had to plunge it into his wife's chest).

Archived