Who is "Tansy"?

the seventh direwolf

In Catelyn's POV, her father refers to this woman called "Tansy" a lot as he lays dying.

There is a Tansy in Arya's POV when they end up in the whore house. I was wondering if they could be the same person? I was curious to know the significance of this and if more of this comes to light? I'm more or less almost finished and since Catelyn has been supposedly killed at "The Red Wedding", I'm unsure now whether that mystery will be solved, but it was interesting.

Go on. The thing will be revealed in the very last chapter of ASoS (not counting the Epilogue). And it's going to be a surprise ;-).

Huh, I'm on A Dance With Dragons, so I think I missed it. Could you tell me?

• 1 month later...

There was also an inkeeper/hostess in the town of... yaddah yaddah... someplace that Robert fought during his uprising. She was connected to the Kingswood rebels when Arya encountered her. I thought that was going to be significant somehow, but now it seems like a red herring -- or else it hasn't ripened yet. Anyway, as they said, Tansy is also the abortion herb. Cat made a conclusion that Hoster gave it to Lysa, I think it was something about how it enabled him to marry her to Jon Arryn, but it might have impacted her fertility. The one sickly kid, and the many miscarriages.

Also, spoiler tags people! You'll ruin it for people still reading.

This is why i dont go into the same forum of the book im currently reading. You are going to be spoiled some way or another if you do.

I'm pretty sure Lysa mentioned it when she was going on a mad rage.

Yes, Lysa mentions it when she's drunk and mad at Sansa. She's incredibly insecure in her relationship with Petyr, and brings up that her father made her drink some potion containing tansy without telling her. Hence, the baby was aborted. We can also infer that this is why Holster keeps repeating "Tansy, so sorry" over and over again on his death bed, and why Lysa refuses to visit him. I believe she's just a little bit bitter. :cool4:

Just read ASOS while on vacation from stem to stern and "tansy" clearly is the intoxicant that was used to cause Lysa to miscarriage Littlefinger's kid. It seems it did damage to her uterus and caused her future miscarriages and stillborns. Ol' Lord Tully was just feeling guilty and it also did some psychological damage to Lysa as well.

Archived