Sliver of hope that Syrio is alive?

ShadowRaven

It seemed to me a silly thing to do because it could be seen as an affront to the Faith. As I took it placing heads on a spike upon the city walls was mainly meant as a warning: look what happens if you betray the king.

Anyway, regarding the sensitivity and rising political power of the Faith we hear of when Cersei visits the High Septon, his anger about the killings of septons, septa's and silent sisters, it seemed not a wise thing to do. Or maybe it was meant as a message to other septa's, to invite them to 'rat' on their employers.if they heard of treason.

I agree there, but I suspect it was just a typically thoughtless Cersei thing, happy to send an extreme warning without considering the negative consequences.

I have to say I don't know the role of septa's in a household and if they were considered having an influential role in a House. They seem to me to be mainly chaperonnes and teachers for the female children of a House. Teaching needlework. Aegon's septa could be a different cookie :eek:

I doubt all Septa's are as highly placed within a household, automatically as it were.

But consider who would obey an order from her (including family members!), and whose orders she would take in what situation. And then consider that she eats with the family every day, she goes everywhere that Sansa goes (more or less), which means she is visible at court since Sansa's main role is to be at court, watch and learn and be visible.

She also clearly teaches more than needlework. I don't recall if it is only in the series, but while Luwin is teaching Bran lessons about the other houses, sigils, words etc, it is Septa Mordane who has Sansa recite her history and who schooled her in her courtesies.

But with Lady Catelyn absent, I think Septa Mordane would really only answer to Ned, maybe at times Jory Cassel, and probably Vayon Poole at other times. And I suspect that most of the household would do as she told them most of the time.

Thus putting her among the top 3-4 people in the household, and one of the most visible to outsiders too. Issues between crown and faith aside, she is probably the number 2 head-on-a-stake candidate after Ned (assuming the girls are wanted alive).

Archived