February 2012 - Leap Year Reads?

jdiddyesquire

Finished "Blade of Tyshall" by Stover and I am amazed that this work isn´t better known. Such an amazing gritty read full of suspense! Reminded me of Abercrombie´s work, only Stover did it first.

Never heard of it. But looking I see this is the guy who wrote Traitor in the SW EU. Ill give the first one a try one of these days, just to see if the comparison is apt.

The Swedish translation of The Name of the Wind at my local library is split into two parts, I recently read the first part and am now looking forward to reading the second half.

I finished Patrick Süskind's Perfume yesterday and thought it was wonderful.

While waiting for the second part of The Name of the Wind, I've started reading Patti Smith's Just Kids.

Still working through Chris Wooding's Weavers of Saramyr, and I'm really enjoying it. But it will probably be awhile before I'm done with it because my reading time will be limited this week and next.

Thanks for that :thumbsup: Yet another reason that I need to get a kindle ordered :leaving:

Can I point out that you can still "buy" these and bank them for when you do get a Kindle? Just saying...

Never heard of it. But looking I see this is the guy who wrote Traitor in the SW EU. Ill give the first one a try one of these days, just to see if the comparison is apt.

It's sad that your exposure to stover is through god awful licensed books (although you seem to like that filth). Go out and get 'Heroes Die' and read it as soon as possible.

Finished "Blade of Tyshall" by Stover and I am amazed that this work isn´t better known. Such an amazing gritty read full of suspense! Reminded me of Abercrombie´s work, only Stover did it first.

It is. The first book, Heroes Die is freaking awesome. The second, Blade of Tyshalle I wasn't an enamored with. I thought it really went off the rails.

It's sad that your exposure to stover is through god awful licensed books (although you seem to like that filth). Go out and get 'Heroes Die' and read it as soon as possible.

I will admit fully it is filth. But if an author is good even in filthy tie-ins, it could be a good sign. Ill try it out, then get back to you.

Finished The Girl with Glass Feet by Ali Shaw. It was a quick, easy read and a nice break from books I've been reading for school. I feel like the ending is really going to stay with me for a while.

Had to put downThe Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue unfinished. I detested both the main characters. I skipped to the end to see if they would get what's coming to them because then I'd have a small reason to keep reading, maybe. Nope, so it wasn't worth it for me. I'm actually so bitter that I'm going to be getting rid of it.

Not sure what I'm reading next. I might have to waste time re-reading Room for school which is unfortunate instead of reading the books waiting on my Kindle.

There have been times that i have considered buying one myself, but the free kindle app on my phone works fine.

I can't imagine reading an entire book on my 4" phone screen (let alone the smaller screen sizes that most phones have), or on my computer. That's too much strain on my eyes -- the e-ink is much more comfortable.

Can I point out that you can still "buy" these and bank them for when you do get a Kindle? Just saying...

Did I come off as sarcastic? Because I totally "bought" it yesterday, and was sincerely thanking nickg for pointing out that it was free.

I can't imagine reading an entire book on my 4" phone screen (let alone the smaller screen sizes that most phones have), or on my computer. That's too much strain on my eyes -- the e-ink is much more comfortable.

Did I come off as sarcastic? Because I totally "bought" it yesterday, and was sincerely thanking nickg for pointing out that it was free.

I took it as: THANKS FOR THAT I DONT HAVE A KINDLE RAWR! ANGRY!. Ok, not really. More like, it never would have occurred to me to buy them if i didn't have a Kindle ;)

I'm working on Percepliquis, the last novel in Michael Sullivan's Riyria Revelations. Sadly, I think it's one of the weaker of the 6 so far. Only about half way though, so lots of time to turn that impression around.

Fascinating...and I'm sorry to hear that. It is actually my favorite of the series and overall the responses have been very positive...I don't want to prejudice anything until you are finished but once you are done I'd love to have a conversation on what you found disappointing. Different prespectives are always good (and sometimes hard) to find.

Of Blood and Honey is really good ( big shocker, another 2011 Night Shade debut). I would definitely recommended it, especially since it is free right now.

Also reading Honour Guard by Abnett and I think I like it more than Necropolis. The series has been improving steadily after the first, which was still pretty good.BTW, EVERYONE should read Heroes Die. The whole series is good actually. Only a couple months until Caine's Law.

To continue the trash fiction run, I am on the third book in the Eisenhorn omnibus now. To those who say WH4K is better than SW, you are right, for Abnett alone. I snagged Of Blood and Honey as well, looking foward to it, but still sharing the Kindle with my wife and it aint my turn.

To continue the trash fiction run, I am on the third book in the Eisenhorn omnibus now.  To those who say WH4K is better than SW, you are right, for Abnett alone.  I snagged Of Blood and Honey as well, looking foward to it, but still sharing the Kindle with my wife and it aint my turn.

It almost hurts the nerd inside me, but I agree with the 40k SW comparison. I know its looked down on (40k), but I have enjoyed the hell out of what I have read lately.

Public Enemies, Levy and Houllebecq - you have to love a book of correspondence that begins: "We have, as they say, nothing in common- except for one essential trait: we are both rather contemptible individuals."

Empire in Black and Gold, Tchaikovsky - love the whole insect-kinden concept and am looking forward to sinking my teeth into a substantial series.

Ark, Baxter - I like Baxter and am hoping this is not an aggrandized novelization of 2012.

Of Blood and Honey is really good ( big shocker, another 2011 Night Shade debut). I would definitely recommended it, especially since it is free right now.

Thanks for the heads up on freebie - just downloaded as I've heard nothing but good things about it. Hopefully this promotion will spark some better sales for it as the ratings have indicated that not many people are reading it, despite the good reviews.

Night Shade does seem to be putting out some quality reads. They had some problems as of late and were put on probation by SWFA for not paying their authors but I think I heard that they got that all straightened out.

I read The Ambassadors by Henry James. I liked Portrait of a Lady and especially Washington Square, but this was a slow, frustrating book. Not very plot heavy is an understatement. I kind of appreciate what he was trying to do, but it wasn't something a sane person should read for fun.

I'm sorta out of books. Need to find something light and fun that also doesn't suck. Or I'll just go re-read ASOIAF to my new boyfriend or something.

A few days ago I finished Flashback by Dan Simmons

Grim, realistic and mature.

A somewhat depressing book. More often than not it doesn't feel like Sci-Fi at all. Is our world going to be like that within the next 20 years? Who knows? We will see.

A very good book.

The next one is a return from reality to fantasy.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen has been waiting for me.

Book 5, Midnight Tides.

Working pretty quickly through Blackout by Connie Willis. Enjoying it so far. Never read anything else by her, get the impression that there are other books set in this future, but this is the first book of a series and it feels like a fine starting point.

Also just got notice that my holds on Mastiff by Tamora Pierce and Kraken by China Mieville are ready, so I have a lot of reading to do in the next couple weeks!

Why would you have to make a "trip" to see if they have a copy? Doesn't your local library have an online catalog that you could access to see if they own a copy? Then if they do and no one else has it out, you could probably call to reserve it to make sure it's there when you go for it.

I was being lazy with my post, I did check the online catalog but I have to make the trip down there to pick it up. :)

Archived