A Roose Bolton Appreciation Thread

Ramsay Gimp

18 hours ago, Byrnard Sandors said:

That's a show line.  In the books, it's just "The Lannisters send their regards."

Other way around, actually.

A man in dark armor and a pale pink cloak spotted with blood stepped up to Robb. "Jaime Lannister sends his regards." He thrust his longsword through her son's heart, and twisted. (ASOS Catelyn VII)

• 9 months later...
On 3/9/2016 at 4:22 PM, Nittanian said:

Other way around, actually.

Books is Jaime lannister...

anyway came in to bump it just after one of my rereads. Earlier stumbled on the show again with the tywin skinning the stag

book bolton did it first but better lol

“I will hunt today,” Roose Bolton announced as Qyburn helped him into a quilted jerkin.

“Is it safe, my lord?” Qyburn asked. “Only three days past, Septon Utt’s men were attacked by wolves. They came right into his camp, not five yards from the fire, and killed two horses.”

“It is wolves I mean to hunt. I can scarcely sleep at night for the howling.” Bolton buckled on his belt, adjusting the hang of sword and dagger. “It’s said that direwolves once roamed the north in great packs of a hundred or more, and feared neither man nor mammoth, but that was long ago and in another land. It is queer to see the common wolves of the south so bold.”

“Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.”

Bolton showed his teeth in something that might have been a smile. “Are these times so terrible, Maester?”

Not super long after he starts his plans in motion to betray robb. starts to send his bannermen to their death

On 08/09/2015 at 3:05 PM, marsyao said:

I have a question though, now Tywin is dead, Cercei is losing the control of the realm, so Roose Bolton now faces no threat from the iron throne, so why not bending his knee to Stannis? With the back of the Iron Bank, the power of Stannis rising, since Stannis needs a Northerner to secure the North for him and since Stark kids are missing and Jon Snow refused to be as Lord of Wintefell, would this time be perfect for Roose Bolton to swear fealty to Stannis so that not only avoiding a war he could ill afford to lose but also secure his position in the North by a King?

My take on it has always been that Stannis would lose support from the hills clansmen and northern lords (Manderly as well if thats a done deal) if he accepted Roose into the fold. But more importantly, Roose is a realist who knows that he needs the Freys (who are loyal to the throne) and that Stannis would definitely take his head for being a rebel.

On 2/2/2012 at 11:50 PM, Ramsay Gimp said:

C'mon, you know you like the guy. There's a reason the Freys get so much hate around here, and old Roose receives only a little, despite his crimes being arguably much worse. The guy is just straight up cool!

The way he never loses his composure, dominates every conversation, and gives everyone the heeby-jeebies is just awesome. Cold as ice, he is. "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" is up there with "I did warn you not to trust me" as one of the coolest lines in the series.

I actually feel bad for him that he is stuck with Ramsay as a son. The bastard has his uses, but he also causes his old man a lot of grief.

Anyway, I'm getting off track. Here's to the Leech Lord, with his his pale eyes and sharp blades! :commie:

I dislike the Starks and that makes it easy for me to like both Walder and Roose.  Right from the beginning of the story, we learn that the Starks, Robert Baratheon, Jon Arryn, and Hoster Tully were plotting to rebel against the Targaryens.  We begin to learn that the Starks aren't the good, honorable people they think they are as the story unfolds.  Ned Stark admits to Catelyn that his father, Rickard,  and Robert, had been plotting to take the throne.  Robert would be king and Brandon would be his hand of the king. 

Roose Bolton and Walder Frey did to the Starks what the Starks were planning to do to the Targaryens those many years ago.  The Starks had it coming. 

2 minutes ago, The Transporter said:

I dislike the Starks and that makes it easy for me to like both Walder and Roose.  Right from the beginning of the story, we learn that the Starks, Robert Baratheon, Jon Arryn, and Hoster Tully were plotting to rebel against the Targaryens.  We begin to learn that the Starks aren't the good, honorable people they think they are as the story unfolds.  Ned Stark admits to Catelyn that his father, Rickard,  and Robert, had been plotting to take the throne.  Robert would be king and Brandon would be his hand of the king. 

Roose Bolton and Walder Frey did to the Starks what the Starks were planning to do to the Targaryens those many years ago.  The Starks had it coming. 

I dont know where your getting that because it does not take place in the books.

6 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I dont know where your getting that because it does not take place in the books.

It's in the first book, page 60 in the paperback.  Ned just proved that his family was planning to usurp the Targaryens and they had been plotting for many years.

34 minutes ago, The Transporter said:

I love me some roose but not even close. those are way diff circumstances........nothing happened to them close to severe as the starks.. not only was a close family member in lyanna "captured" but when they all went to discuss the matter they were burned alive. And I love me some stannis and roose was never big on the starks but come on man.....

17 minutes ago, The Transporter said:

It's in the first book, page 60 in the paperback.  Ned just proved that his family was planning to usurp the Targaryens and they had been plotting for many years.

Please give some actual text on that. dying to see

Just now, Jadakiss said:

Please give some actual text on that. dying to see

"Brandon.  Yes.  Brandon would know what to do.  He always did.  It was all meant for Brandon,  You,  Winterfell, everything.  He was born to be King's Hand and a father to queens.  I never asked for this cup to pass to me."

It is conversation between Ned and Catelyn shortly after Robert asked him to become his hand.  It proves that the Starks and the Baratheons had been planning for years to take down the Targaryen dynasty.  I'm glad the Baratheons are diminished.  They got what they deserved, with Robert dead and their line losing the throne.  I'm hoping the same for the Starks, Arryns, and Tullys.

10 minutes ago, The Transporter said:

"Brandon.  Yes.  Brandon would know what to do.  He always did.  It was all meant for Brandon,  You,  Winterfell, everything.  He was born to be King's Hand and a father to queens.  I never asked for this cup to pass to me."

It is conversation between Ned and Catelyn shortly after Robert asked him to become his hand.  It proves that the Starks and the Baratheons had been planning for years to take down the Targaryen dynasty.  I'm glad the Baratheons are diminished.  They got what they deserved, with Robert dead and their line losing the throne.  I'm hoping the same for the Starks, Arryns, and Tullys.

That is grasping and some serious straws man. He more so was talking of his brother how high he stood in everything. And that if the war was (that did) won then he would have been a good hand etc. There is so much more then that ill leave it for someone else. But the Starks never had serious beef with the Targs until all that crap went down

Ned and Cat especially would have been fine and content with living in WF their whole lives. Ned hated KL, he stayed because king bob asked him and needed him etc

13 hours ago, The Transporter said:

You are seriously misreading that, if you are not trolling that is.

On 3.2.2012 at 10:48 PM, Ramsay Gimp said:

He wears pink all the time but is still one of the scariest lords in the realm.

He speaks softly but carries a big...knife, I guess. Even men like the Greatjon pipe down when the leech lord has something to sa

That basically sums it up. On a side note, I think it's a shame that the show didn't show the lords in their own colors, at least the most important ones. This doesn't look too bad.

Roose:

http://i.imgur.com/8WTEEsS.png

Other important characters: 

http://victyrion.tumblr.com/tagged/house+colours

23 hours ago, The Transporter said:

Rickard Stark and Robert Baratheon were up to no good.  Rickard knew what those marriage alliances would do to the distribution of power in the kingdom.  A loyal vassal would never try to undermine his king's power.  Yet that was exactly what those marriage alliances would do. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bowen Marsh said:

Rickard Stark and Robert Baratheon were up to no good.  Rickard knew what those marriage alliances would do to the distribution of power in the kingdom.  A loyal vassal would never try to undermine his king's power.  Yet that was exactly what those marriage alliances would do. 

Those marriage alliances were not trying to undermine Aerys' power. 

What's wrong with Rickard trying to have a stronger relationship with other great houses? Aerys should have encouraged it when Aegon conquered Westeros him and his sisters made marriages between the great houses and powerful houses. Rickard's marriage alliances are not anything weird IMO that would be normal. 

He and his son have the best plot armour available. How he is portrayed as a character in situations is interesting, but as actor in the overarching story he is among the least credible.

No way would his force preservation while setting up everyone under his command for failure remain unnoticed in remotely realistic scenarios, nor would a medieval army accept it, nor is something like the red wedding remotely realistic against ALLIES (the amount of cohesion required). There is a RL equivalent, but afaik it was done vs. enemies who had just submitted (a little late). And this is not even talking of Ramsey...

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2016 at 8:19 PM, theblackdragonI said:

My take on it has always been that Stannis would lose support from the hills clansmen and northern lords (Manderly as well if thats a done deal) if he accepted Roose into the fold. But more importantly, Roose is a realist who knows that he needs the Freys (who are loyal to the throne) and that Stannis would definitely take his head for being a rebel.

Why is that? Like almost all north Lords, Manderly had sworn fealty to Roose, and he was way more mad about Frey than Boltons, and if Stannis could have Northern Lords, he did not need hill clansmen, besides I do not see hill clansmen were Roos Bolton's enemy, what did Roose ever do to them ?

On 1/1/2017 at 11:44 AM, Joey Crows said:

Roose is a master of subtlety and force combined. He would absolutely be a character worth appreciating if it weren't for his use of Ramsey. For that there can be no excuse.

He uses Ramsay a lot for his dirty work tho. Like sending him to WF when the war was going on, sending him to treat with iron born etc

25 minutes ago, marsyao said:

Why is that? Like almost all north Lords, Manderly had sworn fealty to Roose, and he was way more mad about Frey than Boltons, and if Stannis could have Northern Lords, he did not need hill clansmen, besides I do not see hill clansmen were Roos Bolton's enemy, what did Roose ever do to them ?

He aligned himself with the Freys who murdered their men and kin. 

Roose comes back North married to a Frey, gains the Wardenship of the North, his bastard son marries "Arya Stark" his men and army is mostly intact having lost little during the war. So why wouldn't the hill clans see Bolton as their enemy even sitting in Winterfell where the Starks have always been? 

Archived