A Roose Bolton Appreciation Thread

Ramsay Gimp

16 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

He aligned himself with the Freys who murdered their men and kin. 

Roose comes back North married to a Frey, gains the Wardenship of the North, his bastard son marries "Arya Stark" his men and army is mostly intact having lost little during the war. So why wouldn't the hill clans see Bolton as their enemy even sitting in Winterfell where the Starks have always been? 

1) Roose could abandoned Freys after he strucked a deal with Stannis, because that would have the North firmly under his control, the benefit would far outweight his alliance with Freys

2) His marriage with Wanda Frey would not stop him changing side

3) Frey did not give him the Warden of the North, this title was granted by the King

4) Hill clans did not invlove the conflict between Starks and Boltons, and Roose had nothing to do with the death of Ned, and for all they know , all males of House Stark had died out, so they joined the fight because the respect show to them by Stannis, so why would they be Roose Bolton's sworn enemy when almost all other Northern Lords had sworn fealty to Roose ?

2 hours ago, marsyao said:

1) Roose could abandoned Freys after he strucked a deal with Stannis, because that would have the North firmly under his control, the benefit would far outweight his alliance with Freys

2) His marriage with Wanda Frey would not stop him changing side

3) Frey did not give him the Warden of the North, this title was granted by the King

4) Hill clans did not invlove the conflict between Starks and Boltons, and Roose had nothing to do with the death of Ned, and for all they know , all males of House Stark had died out, so they joined the fight because the respect show to them by Stannis, so why would they be Roose Bolton's sworn enemy when almost all other Northern Lords had sworn fealty to Roose ?

1. He didn't abandon the Freys he aligned himself with them so that's why the Hill Clans see Roose as their enemy. 

2. He married a Frey again that does not look positive in the Northernmen eyes. 

3. The same king/family who they were fighting to separate from? The same royal family who killed their leige? 

4. The Northernmen are not stupid, they know given what's right in front of them that Roose had a part in the RW. They don't know that it was him that killed Robb but given his marriage, 2500 Freys that's in Winterfell, a Wardenship, "Arya Stark" and little to no and suffering of his house and men that Roose had a hand to play in them loosing the war and the RW. 

Plus the Boltons don't have a good reputation in the North, they have many enemies even the so called northern houses that swore fealty to them. I'm sure a lot of houses are itching to kill Roose and his. 

5 hours ago, The Wolves said:

1. He didn't abandon the Freys he aligned himself with them so that's why the Hill Clans see Roose as their enemy. 

2. He married a Frey again that does not look positive in the Northernmen eyes. 

3. The same king/family who they were fighting to separate from? The same royal family who killed their leige? 

4. The Northernmen are not stupid, they know given what's right in front of them that Roose had a part in the RW. They don't know that it was him that killed Robb but given his marriage, 2500 Freys that's in Winterfell, a Wardenship, "Arya Stark" and little to no and suffering of his house and men that Roose had a hand to play in them loosing the war and the RW. 

Plus the Boltons don't have a good reputation in the North, they have many enemies even the so called northern houses that swore fealty to them. I'm sure a lot of houses are itching to kill Roose and his. 

I mean if he decided to bend his knee to Stannis exchange King Stannis name him warden of the North, then abandon Freys would be a small price to pay, and Roose would glad to do that, his marriage with Wada Frey was a political marriage, this kind marriage were comon among hight Lords, and never prevent them from changing side. The main responsibility of RW was Freys not Roose, besides it was Roose who managed to have Freys and Lannisters to release hostages. About Bolton's reputation among the Norther Lords, his house was the second powerful house of the North, there is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence that House Bolton was hated among Northern Lords, and if you read the book carefully, you would see Northern Lords said again and again, though they prefer House Stark, but Roose Bolton was accetable

27 minutes ago, marsyao said:

I mean if he decided to bend his knee to Stannis exchange King Stannis name him warden of the North, then abandon Freys would be a small price to pay, and Roose would glad to do that, his marriage with Wada Frey was a political marriage, this kind marriage were comon among hight Lords, and never prevent them from changing side. The main responsibility of RW was Freys not Roose, besides it was Roose who managed to have Freys and Lannisters to release hostages. About Bolton's reputation among the Norther Lords, his house was the second powerful house of the North, there is ABSOLUTELY NO evidence that House Bolton was hated among Northern Lords, and if you read the book carefully, you would see Northern Lords said again and again, though they prefer House Stark, but Roose Bolton was accetable

Manderly is the North's second most powerful house. And the Northernmen suspect the Boltons of too much for him to just possibly walk away if he swore fealty to Stannis. 

What hostages did Roose manage to get the Freys and Lannisters to realease cause in AFFC there are a lot of northern hostages marching to Casterly Rock? 

12 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Manderly is the North's second most powerful house. And the Northernmen suspect the Boltons of too much for him to just possibly walk away if he swore fealty to Stannis. 

What hostages did Roose manage to get the Freys and Lannisters to realease cause in AFFC there are a lot of northern hostages marching to Casterly Rock? 

What are you talking about ? House Manderly was the richest house in the North, House Bolton was more powerful

Both Roose and Walder had a reason to defect. The former was the last of his kind and at the back of an over righteous king. If he died the Bolton house would die and if Robb won then rest assured that the Boltons would have had to answer for Ramsey's crime. However I don't think that's enough to backstab the king. In matter of fact I think that participating at the Red Wedding was one of Roose's rare mistakes. The North remembers and Roose has made acres upon acres of enemies wishing him dead. Also, its not as if Tywin had a choice in not appointing Roose as Warden. The North is simply too vast, too cold and too wild not to be ruled by a Northerner and all Northerners hated the crown. Roose was the only one left. Not to forget that after releasing Jamie, the old lion had a big debt to pay irrespective whether Roose participated in the red wedding or not. Therefore Roose would have been better off staying away from that mess, maybe by feigning an injury or simply by persuading Robb he would be better off at Riverrun. 

Walder on the other hand had no choice. While everyone was busy ridiculing the Freys, the Lannisters were the only big house who allowed a marriage between a Frey and them. Walder's son lived comfortably in CR and the Freys enjoyed the lion's protection for years (why do you think Hoster tolerated them after what they did to him during Robert's rebellion ?). The day the Lannister needed the Frey's help by digging their heels and stop the North from moving South, Walder went on negotiating with Robb, betraying Tywin and his house in their time of need. That cost the lions a defeat and Jamie's sword's hand. 

With the North being severely outnumbered and his lands being at the wrong end of Moat Cailin, Walder had no choice but to try and appease the furious lion. If he didn't then it was only a matter of time before Tywin's deeds over the Freys would end up in some other song of his. 

2 hours ago, marsyao said:

What are you talking about ? House Manderly was the richest house in the North, House Bolton was more powerful

Where in the books does it say that the Boltons are the most powerful? 

The Manderlys outnumber the Boltons in everything: land, population, wealth plus a city(one of five in the country), etc.... of course it isn't hard to see that the Manderlys are the North's second powerful house. 

People only think that the Boltons are that powerful because they have been the Stark rivals for thousands of years. 

If anything I would say that they are the third most powerful bannermen of the Starks, the Manderlys and Dustins holding first and second positions of most powerful bannermen. 

2 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Where in the books does it say that the Boltons are the most powerful? 

The Manderlys outnumber the Boltons in everything: land, population, wealth plus a city(one of five in the country), etc.... of course it isn't hard to see that the Manderlys are the North's second powerful house. 

People only think that the Boltons are that powerful because they have been the Stark rivals for thousands of years. 

If anything I would say that they are the third most powerful bannermen of the Starks, the Manderlys and Dustins holding first and second positions of most powerful bannermen. 

House Bolton has way more history in the North than House Manderly, I never have a doubt that Manderlys were the richest house in the North, they were richer than House Stark, but they were still consider outsider among Norther Houses, they were from Reach. House Bolton was the second powerful house in the North and Roose Bolton was the second in command in the Northern army

4 hours ago, marsyao said:

House Bolton has way more history in the North than House Manderly, I never have a doubt that Manderlys were the richest house in the North, they were richer than House Stark, but they were still consider outsider among Norther Houses, they were from Reach. House Bolton was the second powerful house in the North and Roose Bolton was the second in command in the Northern army

What does House Bolton having more history in the North than the Manderlys that make them more powerful? Given all that history the Boltons have with the north it doesn't take much to have most of them fighting him or him having to look over his shoulder while surrounded by northern houses. 

Manderly actually has sway over other northern houses(he says so in ADWD)and doesn't have the reputation that the Boltons do. 

Also give me examples on why House Bolton is more powerful than House Manderly? Roose was second in command because he was scary and had fighting experience. 

31 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

What does House Bolton having more history in the North than the Manderlys that make them more powerful? Given all that history the Boltons have with the north it doesn't take much to have most of them fighting him or him having to look over his shoulder while surrounded by northern houses. 

Manderly actually has sway over other northern houses(he says so in ADWD)and doesn't have the reputation that the Boltons do. 

Also give me examples on why House Bolton is more powerful than House Manderly? Roose was second in command because he was scary and had fighting experience. 

Looks like you do not understand the way of the Westero, although House Manderly emigrated to the North for over one thousand years, they still were consider outsiders, on the other hand House Bolton had their root in the North. Anyway, I did not see Manderly would stage a coup or say any other major Northern house to agianst Boltons unless there was a Stark comeback, Manderly were not the one who want to take a risk unless they sure they have an excellent chance to win, and if Boltons ally them with King Stannis, they would hardly have a chance to even do that

4 hours ago, marsyao said:

Looks like you do not understand the way of the Westero, although House Manderly emigrated to the North for over one thousand years, they still were consider outsiders, on the other hand House Bolton had their root in the North. Anyway, I did not see Manderly would stage a coup or say any other major Northern house to agianst Boltons unless there was a Stark comeback, Manderly were not the one who want to take a risk unless they sure they have an excellent chance to win, and if Boltons ally them with King Stannis, they would hardly have a chance to even do that

You're still not answering the question. Again where does it say in the books that the Boltons are the second most powerful house in the North? 

And how does having roots in the North make the Boltons powerful? All those thousands of years of roots didn't make the other Northern houses swear fealty to him. The only reason he has Northern allies if any is because the Lannisters have hostages. 

And no Roose is not going to ally with Stannis, him and his house will die out. 

16 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Right, Robett Glover also requests command while at Winterfell. Later at Moat Calin, Robb leans toward giving command to the Greatjon, but ultimately gives it to Roose because of his cunning. The manpower of the various lords isn't mentioned as factoring into Robb's decision, from what I recall.

Seriously?  All the powermongering in the world is pointless without an orderly succession plan.  After Roose's legitimate heir dies, he legitimizes the (presumed) murderer and makes him his heir, and Ramsay's not just a bad guy, he's a loose cannon who tortures valuable hostages and alienates everyone he comes in contact with apart from other psychopaths.

On 12/01/2017 at 6:33 PM, marsyao said:

Why is that? Like almost all north Lords, Manderly had sworn fealty to Roose, and he was way more mad about Frey than Boltons, and if Stannis could have Northern Lords, he did not need hill clansmen, besides I do not see hill clansmen were Roos Bolton's enemy, what did Roose ever do to them ?

I guess because the Boltons were at the Red Wedding and deliberately schemed to usurp the Starks. But I get what you mean, Roose managed to get some men home in one piece and has restored some level of control in the North. If I had to say its because of the deep devotion most Northern houses have to the Starks. Especially the clansmen who basically praise Ned every chance they get and seem to really hate the Boltons. Manderlys only feigning loyalty though, they never forgot how the Starks let them in. 

As for Stannis, the fact that he took Davos' fingers after he saved everyone in Storm's End means he would almost definitely take Roose's head, for that reason he'd never get the Northern Lords in Winterfell. 

On 1/14/2017 at 2:10 AM, The Wolves said:

You're still not answering the question. Again where does it say in the books that the Boltons are the second most powerful house in the North? 

And how does having roots in the North make the Boltons powerful? All those thousands of years of roots didn't make the other Northern houses swear fealty to him. The only reason he has Northern allies if any is because the Lannisters have hostages. 

I do not have the books at my hand now, suggest you just read the books over again and you will find it. Having root in the North means Boltons were considered as part of themselves by other great Northern Houses, Did other Northern Houses already swear fealty to him in the book 5? and did I mentioned again and again that Northern Lords love Starks, but they condier Boltons an accetable alternative choice if Starks died out

On 1/15/2017 at 5:36 PM, theblackdragonI said:

As for Stannis, the fact that he took Davos' fingers after he saved everyone in Storm's End means he would almost definitely take Roose's head, for that reason he'd never get the Northern Lords in Winterfell. 

Why so? Did Roose do any harm to Stannis? Did Stannis consider Starks ursups as King Jofery ?

On 1/14/2017 at 2:10 AM, The Wolves said:

Ha ! As I guessed long time ago, you are a Stark lover, the real sin of Roose Bolton was like "How dare you, Roose Bolton, to hurt Starks ? You shall die for this, every last of you!

Archived