Best and Worst POV

The Swaggering Bravo

In general I get super excited to read any Lannister POV with Jaime being at the top of that list. As for the worst I'd say the Damphair. The Drowned God stuff just bores me silly.

In terms of it being book specific I like Bran as a character, but in books 1-3 every time I saw his name heading a chapter I'd check to see who was coming next. If it was somebody that I really wanted to get to then I'd plow through. If not I'd usually want to take a break before getting into one of Bran's chapters. Imagine my surprise when ADWD comes along and I find myself wanting more Bran chapters. I thought his were among the best in the book.

Catelyn's chapters are okay. I'm told they get better on the second read because there are all kinds of things that you notice second time around so hopefully that'll be the case when I finally get around to reading it again. I think her personality in general can keep me from enjoying her POV at times. I can't help but hold her hatred of Jon against her.

Jon's POV didn't really grab hold of me until ACoK and then he became one of my faves. His POV was my favorite in ADWD.

Davos had me from his first chapter.

Cersei's POV in AFFC was among the more frustrating chapters but I did find them to be compelling and absolutely wanted to know what was going to happen next so in that sense it was entertaining. I do agree though that there was a bit of a character assassination there. Cersei was never before shown to be that stupid so I did think there was a bit of overkill in terms of her literally not being able to do one thing right. JMO.

Arya is hit and miss with me. Sometimes I adore her chapters and other times I wish her character were older because she's so damned immature at times. If I never again read her think the word 'stupid' it'll still be too soon.

Sansa won me over half way through AGoT and she's the Stark apart from Jon whose story I'm most interested in seeing, so I get really excited to see her name or Alayne at the heading of any chapter. Man, I wish that GRRM would release an Alayne/Sansa chapter for TWoW. There's no POV I'd rather see than hers at present.

Best (within one book): Theon/Reek, in aDwD, hands down.

Best (overall): I'd probably say Arya, 'cause I love her, even though she's starting to drag a bit. Before aDwD, I would've said Tyrion, but...

Worst (overall): Catelyn. Stark. She wasn't interesting, wasn't enjoyable, and spent far too much time doing nothing in all of the books. I was overjoyed when I didn't have to read about her anymore; It was almost enough to make me happy about the Red Wedding. Almost.

Worst (in one book): Dany, in aDwd... I would say at least half of her POV's could have been completely cut/glossed over without missing anything terribly important, plot wise.

Worst (overall): Catelyn. Stark. She wasn't interesting, wasn't enjoyable, and spent far too much time doing nothing in all of the books. I was overjoyed when I didn't have to read about her anymore; It was almost enough to make me happy about the Red Wedding. Almost.

I understand you.

I loved Sansa's chapters in AGOT. They all started like fairy tales, but by the end something gross or violent had occurred and disrupted her fantasy world. Not until the very end did she realize the world was a cruel place. Recently I've come to enjoy her chapters again, primarily due to the presence of Littlefinger and all his schemes.

For some reason I associate colors with POV's, well not specific colors, but I guess I could relate it to having color or a lack of color - Dany's throughout the series seem very monochromatic, no matter how descriptive the narrative or colorful the attire, I find it all very plain, and her chapters have always been a slog for me. She was only eclipsed by Catelyn, who made me not care about the Young Wolf's fate all that much.

Jon's, and more recently, Theon's chapters have been the most 'colorful' to me, probably only rivaled by Davos (I find Stannis to be extremely entertaining.)

To me (this best and worst is so personal! Each one will have their own favorites and each one differents).

Best: Sansa (included Alayne) and after Reek, Jon, Arya, Tyrion and Bran (I difference Theon than Reek)

Worst: Daenerys (it´s really important but I can´t keep myself of passing the pages wishing the end of that POV).

Best: Davos had several great ones, Tyrion prior to ADWD (though the one involving the contracts with the Second Sons was good), Sansa's chapters are often useful for getting glimpses into conspiracies and political machinations. For AGOT, Eddard's work in King's Landing was very good.

Worst: Samwell Tarly until he got to Braavos, Brienne (positive character but chapter content was not one of the better), most, though not all, of Bran's.

The Arya chapters were a mixed bag. Some of her chapters in ACOK were some of the series's worst. Others, scattered throughout the various books, revealed quite interesting things about the series's world, however. Jon's chapters got better once he joined the Wildlings temporarily. The battle he had for control of the Wall and the subsequent interactions with Stannis have continuously improved his chapters.

Daenerys has experienced heavy fluctuation in chapter quality level. They were at their pinnacle in AGOT and ASOS, though the war against Mereen has some intriguing facets. The only thing that is interesting about the Asha chapters atm is that they show what is going on with Stannis. Cersei is a vile character but her chapters have a lot of interesting scheming and involvement from peculiar characters. Her activities are entertaining to observe and the rise of factions like the Faith Militant make her chapters more interesting as well.

Best: Jon, with bran and sansa (AFFC only) close behind

Worst: areo hotah chapters are the worst in the book bar none. I also find dany and brienne boring (although brienne is a great character, just boring plot)

It's so surprising to me how many people don't like the Daenerys POV! I looked forward to her and Jon the most, then Tyrion and Reek.

The one POV I really dreaded was Quentyn Martell, thank good it was cut mercifully short. Ditto with Catelyn, she was just a drag most of the time. Bran bores me, even once he gets to the greenseers, I wish we could see all of that through someone else's eyes rather than his, he's just such a dull character (and it bothered me no end how he kept going into Hodor. Poor Hodor, he was so freaked out.)

Best overall throughout the series: Arya and Tyrion. Some of Arya's weaker POV were in AFfC and Tyrion's weaker POV were in AGoT, imo. However, they are two characters I get really excited reading about in ALL the books

Worst overall throughout the series: I don't really have one for this category because some of my least fav were the one shots or later introduced characters in AFfC and ADwD. If I had to pick one, it would be Areo. Even though I like Dorne, as a pov character, he is just sort of there. I would pick him due to his inactivity in the main story. Second would be Sam. I like him as a character, but his chapters don't excite me all that much.

AGoT: For the best was Dany. I found her transformation in the first book fascinating. The worst was Jon, sorry. I love Jon, but there was not much going on in his story at this point and he was always sulking.

ACoK: The best was Arya and Tyrion. I thought their stories was so interesting and although ACoK was full of fantastic pov, Arya and Tyrion was just on top. Arya had Jaqen, Harrenhal, and Roose. Tyrion and his rivalry with Cersei and trying to take charge in KL was great. The worst was Bran? I don't know, he had interesting things happening but his pov I wasn't really eager to read in this book.

ASoS: Best was Jon, Jaime and Dany. Dany was at her best in this book and and Jaime's chapter completely changed my opinion of him. Jon's story was just awesome and I loved everything about it from Ygritte to taking lead of the wall in the battle with Mance. I am going to say there was NO bad chapters in ASoS for me. I thought the book was that awesome.

AFfC: Best is Victarion and Arianne. Victarion is one of the few newcomers whose POV I always enjoy. He is just a crazy mofo which makes him a fun read for me. Arianne, I didn't like her at first, but I liked her chapters and in the end I started to like her. Worst: Areo for reasons I already stated above.

ADwD: Best is Theon, Tyrion, and Arya. Theon's chapters were fantastic and I liked to see my favorite former bad boy get a start at some redemption. Tyrion because even though he was kind of drag his pov chapters were still interesting. Arya because I am interested in her involvement with the FM. Worst is Jon Connington. I don't care about him or like him, sorry, and I also just don't care about his crush on Rhaegar. -_-

• 10 months later...

I've only read till ASOS

Best: Ned, Arya, Davos, Jon, Tyrion, Jamie [Loved Ned, Arya is awesome-refuses to be a typical woman, Davos-Always loved his interactions with Stannis and Mel plus I just connect to the guy as well as the fact he's a honest honorable character like two certain people who Martin had to give to the axe, Jon-such a dynamic character with realistic conflicts and emotions and thoughts plus the battle at the wall was epic, Tyrion-witty, funny, always enjoyed plus I like to root for the underdog, Jaime-up untill his viewpoint I hated him [especially cause of Bran] but once you get in his head and see him start to change for the bettwe you can't help but want to cheer him on and hope he lives to the end]

Worst

Really hard to decide but I think I'll go with:

Theon [ACoK]-such an annoying little git wanting a pat on the back from a father who happens to be the stupidest king in history [seriously, king of raiders and pirates and he attacks the North instead of Casterly Rock because he lost a rebellion he started years after Robert had won and solidified his reign, extra points for treachery

Sansa [AGoT]-Oh my god she was so annoying and naive and idealistic I wanted to yell at her to open her eyes plus she rats out her father, which costs him his head though she gets better afterward

Catelyn [ASOS]-too depressing and wallowing in despair and self-pity, keep it together woman, your son is [or was by the end of the book] in a war, he needs solidarity and support, not weakness and sentimentality

Daenerys-After Sansa's GoTs chapters Dany is by far the most annyoing. One, the eastern continent just feels shallow and too glittery compared to Westeros plus the names are wierd and hard to pronounce but what really annoys me is 1. how bad a leader she is, 2. How she keeps going on about how the 7 Kingdoms are her right and about the Usurper [as if she has more right for instane to rule the North than a Stark and as if Robert had any voice besides rebeling], 3. She is soo annoyingly naive [she knows nothing about westeros's houses, people, food, religions, politics, alliances, she thinks all of Robert's allies are the same [Ned=Tywin basically], doesn't know her father was insane and every time she's told something she doesn't like about her family or the past she either ignores it, refuses to believe or stops the person from telling more [mostly Selmy]

Please don't let the fans attack, this just my opinion and I'm entitled to it, so...go Starks and down with the South!!!! [excluding the Riverlands, Tyrion, Jamie, and Stannis who is not a religious fanatic, in fact he's practically an atheist [mentioned somewhere in ACoK

BEST

Male: Jon, Jaime and Davos. Not only only for the amazing writing and characters building, but for sheer emotional investment on my part these three characters have everything.

Female: Sansa/Alayne, especially from aSoS onwards, and Daenerys. I actually really enjoyed all of Dany's chapters, even Meereen (although to be honest I am glad that bit's over).

WORST

Male: Theon, Damphair and Bran.

Female: Brienne ("I'm looking for a maid of three and ten blah blah Jaime blah Renly blah) and *gulp* Arya.

This is just for the more recent books because I haven't reread and AGoT through ASoS are pretty fuzzy in my head but at the moment the ones I look forward to most are:

Theon/Reek becaus he's usually where stuff is happening and we get lots of Roose/Ramsay/Stannis time

Jon again, the stuff happening at the Wall is interesting although I'm coolling towards Jon as a character (I wanted him to be a hero in a human, member of the Night's Watch way and I don't like the messianic, chosen-one vibes; plus I really don't want him to be Robb's heir)

On the other hand, the ones I've been looking forward to least are:

Brienne because everything she did after reaching KL felt like a total makework assignment that we pretty much knew was doomed to failure and I wanted to feel that Brienne was being useful because I like her (although there were some positives, like meeting Lord Tarly)

Arianne she spent what, something like a third, maybe more, of her entire PoV locked in a room, and not a very interesting room at that.

Archived