‘I’m not African-American,’ some blacks insist

cseresz.reborn

There are those who were born here and those who were not, or do you believe that is untrue?

Now, I'm confused again. When I made a joke about autochthonous Americans, you were quick to point out that there were none and that everyone came from somewhere else. And now that I've mentioned we are a country of immigrants you tell me that's not so either?

You're saying "they" to present immigrants as if your ancestors weren't once a "they" themself and not noticing the contradiction in your beliefs about how "they" are going to ruin America.

And no, I know some people weren't born here. I wasn't born here though I was an American citizen from the moment I was born elsewhere. (I do, however, get the special privilege of having to send away to get proof of that fact, but it still remains a fact.)

It doesn't matter. I know a lost cause when I see one.

I realize you guys are having way too much fun to ever stop. Quite honestly, I enjoy your posts. Some are genuinely amusing...even if I disagree with them. Don't let me spoil your fun by mentioning attempts to inject Sharia law into US courts, honor killings in Canada. I'd also suggest you google, "immigrant riot", though I am sure you will decide all those countries were evil and people resorting to violence is justified. I know everyone is just dying to say "xenophobe". Have fun.

Enjoy yourselves. For your sake, I hope 20 years from now, you don't come to the conclusion that, "that nut in that forum" was right.

While I enjoyed to debate on the broader topic, I've caused a distraction from the topic of the thread and think it proper to withdraw.

Lightning Lord,

I was going to withdraw from this discussion, but your stridency in the quest to see America subsumed by everything that is not America, is appalling to me. People who think as you do, will probably prevail and this country will fail. I'm only glad that I'm old enough that I probably won't see it happen.

Go, celebrate your "victory".

Indeed.

You keep suggesting this is about race, ethnicity or skin color. It's not about what people look like, at all. It is about what they bring with them that can cause conflict.

That reminds me of what a criminologist said once: it's easier for economic migrants to settle in a new place and build a life, because they've moved to improve their economic circumstances. It's harder for political migrants (in the specific context he was talking about, people fleeing civil wars, etc.), because many of them have endured terrible, often psychologically damaging, experiences and that has to be addressed as part of a successful resettlement.

eta: my point, before I was distracted by offscreen wrangles, is that from what this guy was saying, the illegal immigrants that someone complained about upthread are mostly exactly the kind of new citizens a country does want, because they're motivated to create a better economic situation for themselves. If, on the other hand, you're fleeing a war zone where you watched half your village being slaughtered and the survivors put in camps, your baggage is going to be different and your coping mechanisms have been shaped under very traumatic circumstances.

[further eta] To carry this back to the OP, the same could also be said of those people who migrated to the US a couple of centuries ago: NW European settlers carving out their way in the New World vs Africans transported as slaves.

Okay, I get it now. It's not skin color, but heavily accented English or a foreign language will make you wet yourself. Gotcha. That's a lot more tolerant.

And Bones...we prefer you call it Ukraine. Not The Ukraine.

What's that? You said Ukraine? Sorry, I just twist facts to fit my own misguided narrative.

AMERICA!! AMERICA!! AMERICA!!

Mod:

Actually, I think this last exchange, my own post included, has firmly led the thread beyond any use and into probably offensive inanity. If someone feels a need to wrest a serious discussion from it, start a new thread. They're free and available equally to all races and creeds.

Is "I totally think Asian chicks are hot," better or worse than "Some of my best friends are black," ? Inquiring minds.

I think, as a statement of personal preference, rather than a justification for some political opinion, I'm going to acquit myself.

If I said Asian chicks are hot and that's why I defend Japanese internment camps in the US - by all means castigate me.

ETA: Sorry Datepalm, saw your post after.

Archived