‘I’m not African-American,’ some blacks insist

cseresz.reborn

Reading this thread has been education: I didn't know that AMERICA has no criminals of its own, that it imports literally ALL of its criminals from other countries. Good to know. Have a good walk. Try not to run screaming in terror if you see a brown person.

Reading this thread has been education: I didn't know that AMERICA has no criminals of its own, that it imports literally ALL of its criminals from other countries. Good to know. Have a good walk. Try not to run screaming in terror if you see a brown person.

Actually, it does have its own criminals. But, if that is the case, why do we need to import them? The walk was good. I did see some brown people. I tried very, very hard not to run screaming in terror. I think I was successful. The dog got nervous , though.

You keep suggesting this is about race, ethnicity or skin color. It's not about what people look like, at all. It is about what they bring with them that can cause conflict.

I realize you guys are having way too much fun to ever stop. Quite honestly, I enjoy your posts. Some are genuinely amusing...even if I disagree with them. Don't let me spoil your fun by mentioning attempts to inject Sharia law into US courts, honor killings in Canada. I'd also suggest you google, "immigrant riot", though I am sure you will decide all those countries were evil and people resorting to violence is justified. I know everyone is just dying to say "xenophobe". Have fun.

So you take an unspeakably tragic incident and use it as a prop to justify your fear of immigrants? The Muslim community of Toronto has roundly condemned the actions of those accused, but I'm guessing you stopped reading when you saw the foreign name. Also, Muslims actually make up less than one percent of Americas population, if I recall correctly. There are more Buddhists than Muslims and the majority of Arabs in America are actually Christian. So, uh, I don't think you've got anything to worry about champ.

Actually, it does have its own criminals. But, if that is the case, why do we need to import them? The walk was good. I did see some brown people. I tried very, very hard not to run screaming in terror. I think I was successful. The dog got nervous , though.

You keep suggesting this is about race, ethnicity or skin color. It's not about what people look like, at all. It is about what they bring with them that can cause conflict.

It's very interesting to me that after acknowledging that America is a country of immigrants, you still refer to immigrants as "they". Unless you are of British descent, your very ancestors were most likely the victims of the same prejudices and ridicule that you've so eagerly thrown all over this thread.

Benjamin Franklin was convinced that those swarthy complected Germans who came to America and being ignorant and unused to freedom would never learn "our" language and customs and therefore the American government would be in peril. This type of thinking occurred again and again. We had the lazy drunk Irish, and the belief that the Polish, Italians, and Russian Jews would never be able to assimiliate. And then there was the great fear of Chinese immigrants who were coming to America and stealing jobs from the real "white" Americans which helped promote the formulation of laws that excluded Chinese and others from becoming citizens on the basis of their race.

So, you see what you're doing is just participating in a centuries-old form of hysteria about those damn immigrants who will seek to destroy America. None of these groups that people were just convinced were going to destroy America ever did, they helped to build America into what it has become. It's just sad that you refuse to see that because you buy into the same rhetoric that has been circulating for centuries, which has been proven incorrect multiple times.

Immigrants bringing parts of their culture to America aren't a danger to America, but it's a nice distraction from the real problems America is facing.

I realize you guys are having way too much fun to ever stop. Quite honestly, I enjoy your posts. Some are genuinely amusing...even if I disagree with them. Don't let me spoil your fun by mentioning attempts to inject Sharia law into US courts, honor killings in Canada. I'd also suggest you google, "immigrant riot", though I am sure you will decide all those countries were evil and people resorting to violence is justified. I know everyone is just dying to say "xenophobe". Have fun.

I suggest you google Vancouver riots, we'll do more damage than the foreigners could ever do thank you very much.

I do wonder why you try to spin this piece of historical information to mean that I personally only think that northern Europeans should be allowed in politics or something equally absurd. Is it some clever personal attack, or just poor reading comprehension?

It's not about political disenfranchisement, although we can talk about that, too, if we want. But here's the quote I was responding to:

That USA has tolerated the influx of some numbers of people that deviate from this pattern is true enough. I would, however say that there is a certain difference between tolerating the prescence of different people in the state, and allowing them to start significantly influencing said state.

What else did you mean if it's not to say that recently naturalized Americans should keep quiet about how they want to see the values of America shift? That is, not to participate in dialogues about where the American identity should evolve to?

Blah, If you call that sweaty cheese bread pizza then you can never have been to Italy. Next you are going to call Bud Light beer, right?

I've never been to Italy, but I know that most of the pizzas being sold in the U.S. is not authentic, no more is that order of kung-po chicken you ordered from Panda Express is real Chinese food, or that what Taco Bell sells is really Mexican food.

But that's the beauty of the United States. It takes from the people who came here, but it leaves its mark. The kung-po chicken served here in the United States is not the real kung-po chicken of China, but you know what? The U.S. version is what works here and it's what people like, so it's all good. Authenticity of taste matters only if that's the experience you seek, and if that's true, there are some authentic Chinese restaurants in the U.S. (mostly metropolitan areas like NYC, Chicago, and SF/LA), just as there are some authentic Italian pizza pies to be had, if you dig hard enough.

I would also say that there is a huge difference between having a commercial holiday celebrating something inspired from another culture (such as Saint Patrick's) or eating and imported food course, and that culture having a noticeable influence in the country. I mean, I can get pizza in Mongolia and Zimbabwe as well. That doesn't mean that those countries are particularly Italian.

I'm not saying the U.S. is particularly Italian, either. But if you think that the presence of significant number of Italian immigrants in the U.S. has affected only our dietary preferences, and have left no mark on other cultural expectations, then I think you are very much blindered.

Reading this thread has been education: I didn't know that AMERICA has no criminals of its own, that it imports literally ALL of its criminals from other countries.

Especially from...

Ukraine.

So, 1955 is the date of real American culture? What does that real American culture that ceased to exist after 1955 consist of?

This monstrosity for one thing. *shudders*

So you take an unspeakably tragic incident and use it as a prop to justify your fear of immigrants? The Muslim community of Toronto has roundly condemned the actions of those accused, but I'm guessing you stopped reading when you saw the foreign name. Also, Muslims actually make up less than one percent of Americas population, if I recall correctly. There are more Buddhists than Muslims and the majority of Arabs in America are actually Christian. So, uh, I don't think you've got anything to worry about champ.

According to http://usreligionstatistics.info/ there are about 300k more Muslims than Buddhists in the US. And again, no one listens, but it is not the immigrants themselves, but the aspects of their culture which can cause conflict here, that I am concerned with.

It's very interesting to me that after acknowledging that America is a country of immigrants, you still refer to immigrants as "they".

There are those who were born here and those who were not, or do you believe that is untrue?

Yes, this thread has been hijacked and I again, apologize for my part in that hijacking. The question is will everyone agree to allow the thread to resume its original purpose. You folks decide.

Archived