Others vs Wights

playXray

Isn't it true that in the last book when the wights attacked the fist of the first men, that there were bears who were wights as well? Shadowcats can be turned into wights too right? Not just humans.

Yes there was a very big bear there. Pretty much any living creature can be turned into a wight. When Sam and Grenn encounter an Other, the thing was riding a dead horse.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be misled by the show.

Here are the White Walkers or White Rangers as described in the prologue to AGoT:

A shadow emerged from the dark of the wood. It stood in front of Royce. Tall, it was, and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk. Its armor seemed to change color as it moved; here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on the water with every step it took.

The Other slid forward on silent feet. In its hand was a longsword like none Will had ever seen. No human metal had gone into the forging of that blade. It was alive with moonlight, translucent, a shard of crystal so thin that it seemed almost to vanish when seen edge-on. There was a faint blue shimmer to the thing, a ghost-light that played around its edges, and somehow Will knew it was sharper than any razor.

The Other halted. Will saw its eyes; blue, deeper and bluer than any human eyes, a blue that burned like ice.

Behind him, to right, to left, all around him the watchers stood patient, faceless, silent, the shifting patterns of their delicate armor making them all but invisible in the wood. Yet they made no move to interfere.

Wights on the other hand are just re-animated corpses - zombies.

I cant what until April first in the second book are the wrights and others seen, or is that aSoS. The books have blurred into one story for me now. i think Hear Me Roar has the wrights and others right that how i think it is anyway.

<snip>

Wights= Zombies, humans killed by Others and brought back to life, controlled by them

<snip>

Do we know that corpses have to be killed by Others? I´m not even shure the Whitewalkers are connected to the Wights.

Edit: The Wight horse the Whitewalker rides suggests they are, but I´m still not shure.

I'm thinking it has to be something like the Others are above the wights in the undead hierarchy and possess some manner of magick so therefore they are able to control or wield influence over them. I don't think they even have to necessarily kill them themselves, I think they just somehow will the dead back to life to carry out their undead agenda. Which apparently includes killing more people/animals for the undead army.

Minor Spoiler from one of the Samwell Chapters:

At one point they were being overrun by wights and the wights aren't going straight for them and went for the horse instead, so that would imply that they are just hungry for living blood, and not necessarily discriminating.

And what's the deal with Coldhands? He is some type of undead or long-lived something or Other. I wonder if he is going to be a big factor when they have to REALLY fight the others and their wights.

Now that I think of it.

Suppose it's the Others who re-animate the dead into wights.

How can they do that ? I suppose the Others are followers of The Great Other, the icy and evil god of darkness. I don't think we know his name, as his name should not be spoken. Just: The Great Other. The Great Other gives his followers the power to create zombies out of the dead. How terrible !

And the opponent of The Great Other is of course: R'hllor. The Lord of Light.

But wait a minute. :)

What does R'hllor do ? His followers are the Red Priests. Like Mellisandre and Thoros. Thoros is famous for his burning sword. But with us, the readers of the books, Thoros is famous for one more thing ! He raises the dead ! He raised Beric Dondarrion. And Lady Stoneheart. But to be honest, it doesn't make them "fully repaired". I don't see much difference between Lady Stoneheart and a zombie. Or a wight.

So basically, both camps have the same tricks ! Both R'hllor and The Great Other do the same thing. They raise the dead, to come fight for them.

So who is good, and who is evil ? And why again ?

I don't see much difference between Lady Stoneheart and a zombie. Or a wight.

So basically, both camps have the same tricks ! Both R'hllor and The Great Other do the same thing. They raise the dead, to come fight for them.

True, true. BUT there is a big difference between the Wights and the corpses that Thoros has reanimated. The ability to THINK and decide for themselves. Haven't seen any Wight do that yet :P

Almost as hard to tell as in real life.

Fire transforms, ice preserves. Chaos versus order. Each on its own means death. Both combined mean life.

• 2 months later...

Yep, it's pretty much properly explained.

Wights = Undead beings, animated some way or the other by the Others after killing them and as such are slow and have no brains of their own. Vulnerable to fire. They are white with blue eyes.

Others = Supernatural beings with extraordinary powers, tall, strong and wield razor thin swords with high skill and move quickly. Vulnerable to Obsidian, or dragonglass. They are dark.

I think the Game of Thrones pilot may have confused a lot of people. In the pilot we see wights, while in the book (A Game of Thrones) the rangers are killed by Others.

At least that's my idea of things.

Which is pretty much correct, Lan. You've lived up to your name here. You noticed something that most people would not have.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived