On ugliness in general

Ygrette

Well, at least with Tyrion's nose they have the excuse that it'll be pretty expensive to CGI him all the time with the nose removed since they can't really do that with facial prosthetics.

I know they made the Hound's face less burned, but that was for a practical purpose (Rory McCann couldn't see out of the original makeup, so he couldn't fight as well).

And frankly, the description given to Sandor's face never made much sense to me: If a guy had such an extreme facial injury that the bone is exposed in civilization at the medical tech level of Westeros, he'd have died from infection long ago.

Nor do I think people stay permanently charred from childhood burns. If it is burnt black the flesh is dead and it would eventually crack off. The burn in the show still could have been made a bit more hideous, but it is pretty good and realistic.

Rorge can't be appearing in more than 3-4 episodes so they best have spent the money to CGI his nose off. If they can have a dude with half a face on Boardwalk Empire I am sure they can manage this. The actor portraying Rorge looks fearsome as is, it would be great if they made him as ghoulish as he should be.

I doubt they'll do so with Tyrion, he'll probably get a nice face gash though.

The only thing really ugly I remember about Brienne apart from being very tall and muscular were protruding snaggle teeth...

I'm really looking forward to seeing her in the show, in one of the first videos from the shooting she was shown from behind swinging a sword and she towered over everyone else and was half again as wide in her armor o_O

I never actually imagined Tyrion or Brienne as being ugly in the modern sense of the word. Tyrion is considered ugly because he's a dwarf, that's it. He could be the most attractive dwarf in the world and the people of Westeros would still call him ugly. Same goes for Brienne, people call her hideous because she's freakishly tall and muscular in a society where women are supposed to be unathletic. By modern standards I think she'd be considered unusual looking, but not by any means ugly. She might even be considered mildly attractive, in a strange sort of way.

For what it's worth, Peter Dinklage's Tyrion looks almost exactly like I imagined Tyrion looking back when I first read AGoT in 2007. The only real difference is that his eyes aren't different colors.

come on..there's no modern or old concept of ugly (with no ""...not talking about a few pounds more or less, or hairstyles)

Brienne is repeatedly described as ugly, not only cause of her manly-stature/attitude but just cause of her bone-structure :P (i just hate that expression)

...it's not like it's that a big deal (personally i have felt attracted to "ugly" women too) but ugly is ugly and really ugly is a whole other thing..haha

Tyrion is described as pretty ugly too..

ofc, charm and personality have the final word, but ugly is ugly

anyway..

sinec we're talking about the show, they did a perfect job on brienne, absolutely brilliant..kinna reminded me of the transformation of that hot actress into that serial killer in the film "monster"

about ramsay, a plump man with a "sinister-deprave" countenance would do the trick for me!

And frankly, the description given to Sandor's face never made much sense to me: If a guy had such an extreme facial injury that the bone is exposed in civilization at the medical tech level of Westeros, he'd have died from infection long ago.

I agree, but I think GRRM wanted to really shock us with his wounds, but in reality, yet, a face can be bandly burned, but not as much as the Hound's !

Archived