Brienne and Jamie = lurve? *near end of book spoilers*

rezor

Is it me, or does anyone else think that GRRM is gearing up towards a coupling between Brienne and Jamie?

There have been multiple references in Jamie's POV now to her physical appearance that have changed from his first observations of her 'freakish' body to something almost complimentary and his thoughts often go to her. Then of course there was her rescue in the bear pits, which could have been due to Jamie's newfound change of heart, but there was a strong scent of romance as well. He hasn't compared her to Cersei much as yet, but it seems like GRRM's subtle trickery rather than coincidence that he's thinking about her a lot while his taste for his sister is diminishing. Brienne certainly thinks of him a good deal, and has been quoted a few times now for having mentioned his name in her sleep and when she was recovering from the Biter. Etc, etc.

Anyone else thinking this? She's the opposite of Jamie's usual conquests in every possible way; a warrior instead of a maiden; 'ugly' instead of Cersei beautiful, and it might explain why GRRM keeps including and increasing her POV's which have been fairly meandering up until this point. My guess is she frees herself from Zombie Cat with her one word and agrees to kill Jamie then finds at the time that she can't do it because she loves him so. And he might realise the same too, being Cersei free. Even if this doesn't happen, I still think there's a strong case for romantic overtones on both their ends.

It doesn't hurt my theory that her casting in season 2 is fairly complimentary...she looks a great deal better than she's described in the books, but then again, so does Jorah. I've got a feeling the producers will ham this pairing up...

Is it me, or does anyone else think that GRRM is gearing up towards a coupling between Brienne and Jamie?

There have been multiple references in Jamie's POV now to her physical appearance that have changed from his first observations of her 'freakish' body to something almost complimentary and his thoughts often go to her. Then of course there was her rescue in the bear pits, which could have been due to Jamie's newfound change of heart, but there was a strong scent of romance as well. He hasn't compared her to Cersei much as yet, but it seems like GRRM's subtle trickery rather than coincidence that he's thinking about her a lot while his taste for his sister is diminishing. Brienne certainly thinks of him a good deal, and has been quoted a few times now for having mentioned his name in her sleep and when she was recovering from the Biter. Etc, etc.

Anyone else thinking this? She's the opposite of Jamie's usual conquests in every possible way; a warrior instead of a maiden; 'ugly' instead of Cersei beautiful, and it might explain why GRRM keeps including and increasing her POV's which have been fairly meandering up until this point. My guess is she frees herself from Zombie Cat with her one word and agrees to kill Jamie then finds at the time that she can't do it because she loves him so. And he might realise the same too, being Cersei free. Even if this doesn't happen, I still think there's a strong case for romantic overtones on both their ends.

It doesn't hurt my theory that her casting in season 2 is fairly complimentary...she looks a great deal better than she's described in the books, but then again, so does Jorah. I've got a feeling the producers will ham this pairing up...

I think so too. As you say, she's the complete opposite to Cersei, and seeing as how he keeps heading further and further from her, I think there's a real chance of this.

It doesn't hurt my theory that her casting in season 2 is fairly complimentary...she looks a great deal better than she's described in the books.

Have you seen pictures of her on set? She is definitely VERY uglied up, actually way more than I thought they'd make her! Supermodel in real life, and "Brienne the Beautiful" in the show. However, I think your theory is interesting. It does feel like there is some sort of connection between them.

This would also require Brienne to grow a bit in character as she's about as naive as Sansa with her mental thought processes about knights, songs and honor, etc........

Jaime is physically pretty but Brienne needs to learn to look past his "past behavior" scarring/ugliness

So while he may eventually get it...she has to as well

I just came to forum to write the very same thread. I observed that connection since they got in a bath together and Jaime got hard when he saw her naked. He didn't taste any other woman than Cersei who was extremely beautiful so maybe he wanted an opposite of her - an ugly woman with good heart. Brienne was described as an ugly wench with a man's body and a mouth full of crooked teeth but I still imagine her as a pretty woman (no idea why). Jaime is obsessed with Brienne as much as she is obsessed with him, he also had a dream which involved her - when he needed help only Brienne was there with her sword to lift him a hand of help in the dark tunnel while Cersei went away.

There's definitely chemistry between them, and I think affection and respect.

One time I do remember where Jaime compared Brienne to Cercei was when Jaime fainted (I think in the bath) and Brienne caught him in her arms. Jaime reflected that Brienne's embrace was much more gentle than Cercei.

Also, the dream Jaime had where Brienne was the only one to be with him in the darkness was a real indicator of his changing feelings.

I don't know. I think they feel some sort of attraction to each other but neither one of them would ever act on it. I like them as two people who have an incredible amount of respect for each other. It's kind of tragic that he might be the reason she is killed, even though he's trying to do the right thing for a change.

I personally thought the it was Brienne alone that changed him more, than even his absent hand! She was and is better than him in any way. You know, in a mannish way, but he sometimes sees her as a woman and that she is better woman than Cercei is (even if it's hard for him to realize). That's because she IS A BETTER PERSON than any of them, whether she possess mannish qualities like (strength, loyalty to the knighthood etc) or woman qualities like compassion or gentleness (at least he saw a glimpse of those qualities).

I don't know anything about attraction or chemistry (she obviously likes him and he has some kind of attraction), but they definitely respect each other and understand each other in a way friends do. I think he realizes that she is the only one true friend he's ever had (except Tyrion, but he himself betrayed Tyrion, so this friendship is questionable), and I think friendship is the first thing a couple should have, so it is a possible scenario that their friendship would become something more. I actually began to like Jaime since he started changing, I pity his stupidity and self-confidence. I've liked Brienne since very beginning, when she appeared. I would be glad if they get together, but unfortunately I can't see Jaime surviving Dany's revenge (if she ever comes to Westeros and takes the iron throne).

I think he has never met anyone whom he actually RESPECTED in his life. Brienne does what is right even when no one is looking, even when it is counter-intuitive. I think he admires Brienne. He's never got hard from any woman but Cersei so when he gets hard in the bath with Brienne, I think that is his subconscious mind reacting to a woman who is attractive for qualities other than physical. I also think that moment is when Cersei's hold on Jaime begins to be broken. I don't know what the future holds for these 2, but I can see them getting together at some point.

• 2 months later...

Since ASoS i`ve been reading every mention they do about each other screaming in my head: "They love each other". I totally think they`re ending up together, She is so kind it didn`t took her too much to start seeing him as much more than the kingslayer (she is calling him Jaime now). Plus she doesn`t only trust him, he is her one, after all he is who she calls while in fever. And it happens the same to him (he dreamt with her being the only one to him in the darkness while Cersei laughed of him). He trustes her his last chance of honour and gives her Outhkeeper. She is softer than Cersei, She is brave, etc...All thought he has about her.

"I left something at Harrenhal". "You want her. Go get her. So he did".

I think he has met many men who he respected, but whose respect he feels that he lost - Ser Arthur Dayne and all the rest of his fellow brothers in the Kingsguard, even Ned Dayne. I think she reminds him of them, and he wants to win her respect, in part because it is too late for him to earn back the respect of his lost "brothers," and winning her respect in both worthwhile in itself and also a substitute for making things up to them. In attempting to do so, his focus has shifted to her from Cercei, and I think we are meant to perceive that although it is more blatant that she is developing feelings for him (dreaming of him in Renly's place, in place of her suitors, calling out his name when feverish), he is also subtly becoming emotionally attached to her.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely something cooking between these two. They are often in each others thoughts and after the whole episode with the Brave Companions, their bonding is pretty strong. Jaime finally has taken notice of another woman, albeit not exactly for her beauty.

And Brienne reluctantly respects Jaime for the warrior that he is.

Couldn't be more evident than in the following passages:

"...He averted his eyes, troubled by his body’s response. “That was unworthy,” he mumbled. “I’m a maimed man, and bitter. Forgive me, wench. You protected me as well as any man could have, and better than most.”

And...

"The bathhouse had been thick with the steam rising off the water, and Jaime had come walking through that mist naked as his name day, looking half a corpse and half a god. He climbed into the tub with me, she remembered, blushing. She seized a chunk of hard lye soap and scrubbed under her arms, trying to call up Renly’s face again."

I could see something like this happening, especially with Jamie's new-found resentment toward Cersei and the rest of his family. Brienne and Jamie did bond significantly during their time together, and he obviously grew to like her in some aspect. I don't know if Brienne would go for it, she seems to be an honor-heavy character, and he is the Kingslayer, after all. It's possible, don't get me wrong, but it would probably be near the end of the series if I were to hazard a guess.

Although Jamie is a member of the Kingsguard as well...and with their oath, and his recent re-commitment to the position in Feast, it may well be that it's something Brienne wants but Jamie refuses.

I don't know, now this has my head all twisted around. I'll think on it some more :P

These forums are awesome, I'm glad I joined up.

• 4 weeks later...

There's definitely chemistry between them, and I think affection and respect.

One time I do remember where Jaime compared Brienne to Cercei was when Jaime fainted (I think in the bath) and Brienne caught him in her arms. Jaime reflected that Brienne's embrace was much more gentle than Cercei.

Also, the dream Jaime had where Brienne was the only one to be with him in the darkness was a real indicator of his changing feelings.

I agree with this response. I don't think that they will ever have a romantic relationship, much less a physical relationship but they definitely have chemistry. I think their relationship such as it has been is to help them learn, help them grow as individuals.

Good theory, I had a slight suspicion this was going to be the case around the time of their bath and Jaime saving her from the bear. But I decided nah this can't be right and forgot about it.

Now I am not too sure, it'l be interesting to see this progress - especially after the FFC ending!

I totally ship that pair. It´s been decades since I have loved a fictional couple as much as I love these two. But, as to the original question of whether there is love growing between Brienne and the Kingslayer, Martin leaves us several clues.

a) In every Brienne chapter, she remembers Jaime. He seems to be on her mind all the time.

B) Despite herself, she is forgetting Renly

c) The many times she calls Jaime´s name in her fever.

d) Jaime punching Ronnet Connington after he disrespects “Brienne the beauty”

http://divinesecretsofthewritingsisterhood.blogspot.com/

http://reinosdefabula.blogspot.com/

I don't think Brienne will ever be able to live with the Kingslayer.

Ddn't she die? would be imposible to make a couple with her and Jaime if she is dead, but at last she won't be the first one you see diying through her POV Chapter and she isn't dead in the end. Just remember Davos after black water, I thought he was dead.

Archived