The Blackfish

crown of gold

I think he - when we least expect it - turns up with mr. Howland Reed himself, and BAAM, all seven hells break loose ...

No seriously, I think he will turn up as a person, we get to now under a different name, say e.g. in a Sansa POV, where she will see and describe him as just another knight. BF surely knows his way and people around in the Vale ... the only 'but' in my guess is that other Vale-people besides Sansa will recognise him ... unless he (have learned the art of the faceless men meanwhile :bowdown: ) is descised in some way...

As per Tywin when he was speaking to Tyrion, any marriage not consummated, can be set aside by the High Septon. Considering that Tyrion is an attainted traitor, this should not be too much of a problem. The main problem is that Sansa is still suspected of having a hand in killing Joffery.

Most importantly, we know that the Hight Septon is not a puppet or a fool. He knows who Cersei is and what she is (tramp, liar, etc.,). I have no doubt he could be persuaded (with a handsome pension and promise of friendship) to declare Sansa fit for remarriage.

I agree with you that the High Septon is neither puppet nor fool. I think he is the character LEAST likely to accept a bribe, however.

I think he - when we least expect it - turns up with mr. Howland Reed himself, and BAAM, all seven hells break loose ...

No seriously, I think he will turn up as a person, we get to now under a different name, say e.g. in a Sansa POV, where she will see and describe him as just another knight. BF surely knows his way and people around in the Vale ... the only 'but' in my guess is that other Vale-people besides Sansa will recognise him ... unless he (have learned the art of the faceless men meanwhile :bowdown: ) is descised in some way...

I disagree with everything you have to say, Blackwood.

i think its possible that he was the hooded man in winterfell thats why the hm knew theon was a turncloack, or maybe he is going to join cat "stone heart" to fight the armys still fighting int he riverlands

I agree with Blackfish being the Hooded Man. Unless there's a better candidate? But it's obviously somebody who knew Theon before and after his treachery. I hope he makes it to the Vale eventually, but I think it's more likely he's trying to rescue "Arya" from the Bastard.

Well he accepted a bribe from Cersei (Faith militant restored) in exchange for the crown's debts being forgiven.

I wouldn't say that's so much a bribe as a deal. A far better deal for the faith than for the crown IMO, based on how things are looking in KL.

The fact that he is willing to give up the crown's substantial debt should show that he doesn't care about money; something we've learned from his minimalist decor and other condemnations of oppulence in the faith.

That is why I don't think he is likely to accept a bribe (a monetary one, at least, as you initially suggested).

Forcing myself to topic: Too many strong possibilities for Ser Brynden!

-Is he with Jeyne who carries the unborn heir to the North?

-Meeting up with the BwB would be great and make sense geographically. He seems like he'd get along with them ideologically. Also, drama bomb when he meets Lady Stoneheart

-The Vale seems like a place he'd feel comfortable going, but relatively far away with plenty of trouble inbetween.

I want all of them.

I think Brynden Blackfish is somewhere in the Riverlands, or in the Reeds' stronghold, or in the Vale. Anywhere else would be too risky for him. I'm anticipating a Ser Barristan-like return from the Blackfish. I think he'll join up with either Stannis or somebody in the Vale to fight the Lannisters and Freys.

I'd love to see more of Brynden. He is just such a great character. His subtle bad-assery reminds me of Ned Stark and he's an above-the-nonsense sort of guy. Loved the scene where he shot the arrow to mark Hoster Tully's funeral.

I honestly don't see him going back to the vale unless he has heard of Lysa Arryn's death, which I cannot recall if he has or has not. However, I would love seeing him with the Jeyne protecting Robb's unborn heir like Ser Kevan has pointed out, the theory of the Westerling sister switch and the hips references by Cat and Jamie are very intriguing, and perhaps he'll go into the neck to seek refuge and Howland and Robb's envoy? I could also see him linking up with the Bw/oB and taking them over, something has to be done about UnCat and I hope it is good, I don't just want to see her get killed time and time again like Beric, and I think the Blackfish is the man to stop her.

However those are both just my favorite theories and if he did show up at the vale, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised, but I do believe that G.R.R.M is going to do something special with Sansa up there and the Blackfish might just get in the way. I'd hate to see her progress and growth crushed by the Blackfish coming in to save the day.

I never meant that the Vale would immediately decide to attack and join whatever cause the Blackfish wants to fight for. My point was once the Winter wreaks havoc a little more the Vale could be the beneficiary come Spring, and be in a better position than most of the other kingdoms. and the blackfish has just escaped Riverun while it was surrounded by Lannisters and Freys I'm sure he can find a way into the Vale especially since he was the Knight of the Gate, and I believe it can still be opened for friendlies during the Winter.

Keep in mind, Spring isn't three months away. It might be nine or ten years down the road.

That said, I don't really see Littlefinger attacking doing much of anything that's not in his own immediate interest right now. If he's going to join in the war, it's going to be when the time is right and the winner is pretty plain to see. The lords of the Vale aren't going to throw off Littlefinger/Sweetrobin in favor or their late lady's uncle. If they'd manage to do that for anybody, it'd be one of THEM. I think that possibility has already been dealt with effectively enough by Littlefinger.

I don't see Brynden Blackfish heading North either. He likely knows Winterfell has been taken. His sister was his only connection to the place, and she's not up there. Nor (to his knowledge) are any of her children left up there. We don't know that Blackfish has ever even been to Winterfell or the North. Basically he's got no connections up there, and there's not a worse place to be in the Winter than the North.

He could hook up with the Brotherhood Without Banners or try to find a place for himself in the Vale (even under Littlefinger, who fostered with his brother all those years ago). I just don't see him going there and "taking over" like some of you seem to expect.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks that we may have seen the last of the Blackfish. There's no great reason for him to reappear. He's a spent force, well past his peak. Everything he loved, and everything relevant to his existence has been destroyed. There is nothing left for him. His escape at the end of the siege was just a final "up yours" to Jaime and the Freys. I reckon he's fled to a quiet place to retire and spend his last days.

Am I the only one who thinks that we may have seen the last of the Blackfish. There's no great reason for him to reappear. He's a spent force, well past his peak. Everything he loved, and everything relevant to his existence has been destroyed. There is nothing left for him. His escape at the end of the siege was just a final "up yours" to Jaime and the Freys. I reckon he's fled to a quiet place to retire and spend his last days.

I think he was mentioned far too frequently for his story to be left at that; GRRM will at least tell us what happened to him. Also, it's not true there's nothing more for him; he can always die, and his death can be important ;)

I think he was mentioned far too frequently for his story to be left at that; GRRM will at least tell us what happened to him. Also, it's not true there's nothing more for him; he can always die, and his death can be important ;)

Agreed, the Blackfish is not done by a long shot. There is no way he will leave his house in ruins and the Riverlands to the Lannisters w/o a fight. He's likely with the BWOB and other Stark loyalists planning guerilla style warfare.

BF isnt gone forever. Even if he comes back for one chapter and dies theres a reason he wasnt at the RW. I highly doubt that reason was for George to have a reason to bring Jaime to the Riverlands

In regards to the Blackfish, he, as I have stated before, is going to stick with his last command given to him by his Great-Nephew/King- Robb, "protect my Queen". The girl that Ser Jaime thinks is Jeyne, is not Jeyne. Also, it has been mentioned by others, Bran's visions from the Weirwood/Gods wood in Winterfell, a woman heavy with child crawling out of the hot-pool as if she had been hiding, praying to the Gods for a son to avenge her. I do not think this is a past lady Stark. I think this is Jeyne in the near future. Which means, the Blackfish intended to get Robb's Queen and unborn Heir (I know, there is no confirmation she was pregnant but "good hips", by Cat says it all) to Robb's ancestorial seat, Winterfell. It makes perfect sense. The Blackfish might be the hooded man in Winterfell, killing Freys (he has motive, would'nt any of you agree?)

What do you people think about this?

In regards to the Blackfish, he, as I have stated before, is going to stick with his last command given to him by his Great-Nephew/King- Robb, "protect my Queen". The girl that Ser Jaime thinks is Jeyne, is not Jeyne. Also, it has been mentioned by others, Bran's visions from the Weirwood/Gods wood in Winterfell, a woman heavy with child crawling out of the hot-pool as if she had been hiding, praying to the Gods for a son to avenge her. I do not think this is a past lady Stark. I think this is Jeyne in the near future. Which means, the Blackfish intended to get Robb's Queen and unborn Heir (I know, there is no confirmation she was pregnant but "good hips", by Cat says it all) to Robb's ancestorial seat, Winterfell. It makes perfect sense. The Blackfish might be the hooded man in Winterfell, killing Freys (he has motive, would'nt any of you agree?)

So if badass Blackfish is offing Freys in Winterfell, where is Jeyne? She was already quite fragile. I cant see her surviving in the Northern winter, especially if she's pregnant. Also, wouldn't Jeyne's mother know that her daughter has been switched. Why would she play along with Blackfish's plans. She has lots to gain from switching allegiances to the Lannisters.

I can't agree with this theory. It was Jeyne's mother who was in on the betrayal of Robb withe Lannisters. She made Jeyne drink Moon Tea to ensure no pregnancy takes place. There is no way the Westerlings would risk the Lannisters wrath.

So if badass Blackfish is offing Freys in Winterfell, where is Jeyne? She was already quite fragile. I cant see her surviving in the Northern winter, especially if she's pregnant. Also, wouldn't Jeyne's mother know that her daughter has been switched. Why would she play along with Blackfish's plans. She has lots to gain from switching allegiances to the Lannisters.

Couldn't agree more. This theory makes no sense

This is only a theory if the Blackfish is in Winterfell. only one of many. The Blackfish, wherever he is, is with Jeyne. The Blackfish would not deny Jaime to his face only to do so at the command of his nit-wit nephew who he seems to already be disgusted with. The Blackfish could be anywhere, even still hiding in Riverrun (a lot of the servants stayed, they might help hide them). Opening the gate at Riverrun but staying put in hiding would certainly divert Lannister resources to find him, Jaime is already hunting him because he fears his capabilities to fight and more importantly, organize and lead men.

Archived