ICE CROW

I have changed my avatar picture and it shows as if updated when I go to change my photo, but for some reason it has not changed on the boards. Anybody else having this issue? I thought it might be connected to the profiles being disabled.

Yeah I'm getting this at the moment too.

Maybe keep guest browsing restricted to only certain parts of the board? Like they can read aSoIaF novels and HBO sections, but General Chat/Lit/Entertainment is for users only? (or would this lead to weirder traffic patterns ... i dunno

• 3 weeks later...

Not a big issue, but for the last few days im not geting any notification's when somone quotes my post. I checked my settings and I should still be geting them.

This is happening to me as well, but it hasn't fixed itself. Its been like this for the past week or so. Any ideas? :dunno:

So since whatever changes were done last weekend SQL's seem to not be happening as much, but a new problem seems to keep popping up. A couple times a day when trying to access the page your Cloudflare page comes up saying something like " Page is not cached, website is down or unavailable", once this happens it has taken between 30 minutes and a few hours before being able to access the site again. I have spoken to others who are having the same issue from different parts of the world, i thought at first it was just affecting my region of Canada but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

This is happening to me as well, but it hasn't fixed itself. Its been like this for the past week or so. Any ideas? :dunno:

It's one of the features that gets turned off whne the board is in performace mode. The board is in performance mode from time to time to reduce the load on the servers, and hopefully minimise the number of SQL errors.

So since whatever changes were done last weekend SQL's seem to not be happening as much, but a new problem seems to keep popping up. A couple times a day when trying to access the page your Cloudflare page comes up saying something like " Page is not cached, website is down or unavailable", once this happens it has taken between 30 minutes and a few hours before being able to access the site again. I have spoken to others who are having the same issue from different parts of the world, i thought at first it was just affecting my region of Canada but it doesn't seem like that's the case.

This thread has some info on that issue.

Linda posted this:

The "Website Currently Unreachable" error appears when the connection to the website is slow. This may have been routing issues, so nothing directly to do with the server, though it could have to do with there being a lot of visitors as well.

The Apache test page gets shown when we take down the forum entirely to let the server catch up a bit. Hopefully that won't be needed now that we have the upgrade done, but the SQL errors and the slowness can still occur when the load is high.

Hope that helps. :)

It's one of the features that gets turned off whne the board is in performace mode. The board is in performance mode from time to time to reduce the load on the servers, and hopefully minimise the number of SQL errors.

Hope that helps. :)

Yes. Thank you. :)

The little blue button to go to unread posts that's on the left of each thread title seems to have stopped working - it thinks I haven't been on the board since last week. It's also not updating when I actually read the thread again.

I have changed my avatar picture and it shows as if updated when I go to change my photo, but for some reason it has not changed on the boards. Anybody else having this issue? I thought it might be connected to the profiles being disabled.

That issue has been around for a while. Try using an avatar from a URL (photobucket or other picture hosting sites), or Gravatar, rather than uploading from your computer. That worked for me.

It's because our CDN caches static images, like avatars uploaded to the server. They will eventually update when the cache flushes and recaches, but if you don't want to wait, yes, it's best if you host your images off-site.

Yesterday and today, I frequently get this message when trying to refresh. Usually, I just wait a few minutes, try again and everything works--so, no huge deal, just letting y'all know..

The website you are trying to access is currently offline. The most likely causes are the server is down for maintenance, there may be a network problem, or the site may be experiencing excessive load.

The site uses CloudFlare in order to help keep it online when the server is down by serving cached copies of pages where they are available. Unfortunately, a cached copy of the page you requested is not available, but you may be able to reach other cached pages on the site.

If you continue to receive this error after you believe the site is back online, you can retry a live version of the site

Yeah, we're working on all sort of things. We've introduced a rate limiter to try and help with load, but it also occasionally trips CloudFlare's "site offline" warning. Bear with us.

When hitting the site from a mobile device using the mobile theme all topics stay unread, and opening them always goes to the first post. This happens no matter how many times I click through it or update it.

It appears that "Mark this forum as read" doesn't work, it marks them read and then when you refresh the board, all posts appear again - as with new replies, even thought it's not true.

It's a part of the overall issues with the server.

See here and here for threads concerning issues with the unread posts and here for the main issue.

Is there a heresy 9 thread waiting to be approved for the Dance with Dragons sub forum? Heresy 8 has been closed for a couple days. I was away for the weekend and have a host of replies written out in a word doc. I don't want to start a new thread myself because I suspect Black Crow has already submitted a new thread.

Archived