Your favorite Villain in the Series? SPOILERS

AngrySoviet

There are no villans in the series. Just rationally self interesting people pursuing their own goals with the means available to them. Confined only by societal norms and the ability and willingness of others in their society to impose those norms upon them.

You are of course articulating your own personal philosophy, which is moral nihilism. Whether or not you have said anything meaningful about the series itself depends upon whether the author shares your philosophy.

This. I've never really agreed with the people that think Cersei suddenly changed. She may have gotten a bit more batshit than she was before, but a lot of her blatant stupidity in AFfC stems from the fact that, for the first time in the series, there's literally no one to reign her in. Tywin, Jaime, Robert, even Tyrion are all gone, and now everyone has to do everything she says. Which combined with the fact that we're actually seeing her POV, results in her suddenly appearing much dumber than she was before.

I think you are spot on with this. She is cunning in a very manipulative way. She gets people to do what she wants. She just makes disastrous decisions fueled be her inflated self-worth/opinion and her massive paranoia following Joffery's death. This is a bad combo for a ruler with no one to keep her in check... On a different topic I want her end to be prodigious, but before she mucks up some stuff first. She seems pretty good at that.

The Boltons(Ramsay and Roose) without a doubt. IMO, they have absolutely zero redeeming qualities and are just plain evil. Ramsay is the more manic, crazy unpredictable of the two and Roose is more calculated, cold, and ruthless, but both terrify me equally. There is just no gray area with these two. "Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother." There is just so much wrong with that statement. Ramsay is just a sick, evil twisted fuck.

Euron also has potential for biggest villain, but we haven't seen much. There is something unsettling and disturbing about that man, though. The fact that he can unhinge BOTH the Damphair and Victarion, the super devout fanatic and macho, killing machine brothers Greyjoy, says a lot about who he is.

• 2 months later...

My vote is for Cersei.

I'm not a fan of her, but she offers a level of complexity - and the kind of villianism where she doesn't need a flashy sword to do it. It's all courtlife, flashy, dripping in gold and appearances, yet all of it is deadly underneath. It is refreshing in it's own way.

Well, the one that's succeeded in making me hate him the most is Ramsay. So...I guess he's the most effective villain for me.

Favorite? Not sure. I like Littlefinger and Varys and Melisandre is pretty interesting, but I'll have to give it the Others. I always get excited when they or their wights show up.

Stannis Baratheon (I have my theories)

I have read your theory lol, if it comes true, I'll switch my vote for him too.

Mine has to be Roose Bolton, what was his philosophy of ruling ....Quiet..., he was the owner of the original Reek! He's the one that stabbed Robb at the Red Wedding and said "JL sends his regards."

Marrying Fat Walda for her weight in gold! He also wants to have many sons with her but he knew that Ramsey will kill them, and he doesn't really feel anything here.

The TV series doesn't do Roose justice, seems like a boring extra---

ETA: link to evil Stannis theory lol http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/66380-twow-spoilernights-king-a-turn-from-fire-to-ice-the-story-of-stannis-baratheon/page__p__3194132#entry3194132

Stannis. Tywin is a runner-up, but Stannis succeeds better at deluding himself. And his insistence in bringing his own downfall is impressive due to the sheer amount of hubris.

I find myself practically drooling to read his parts in TWOW.

Stannis. Tywin is a runner-up, but Stannis succeeds better at deluding himself. And his insistence in bringing his own downfall is impressive due to the sheer amount of hubris.

I find myself practically drooling to read his parts in TWOW.

I don't think Stannis is evil but I heard a rumor on here, I was just trying to find it but can't.

The rumor is RR Martin told the producers the gist of .. the ending he/she said the music choice for Stannis was based on that information.

:bowdown:

Cersei might be my favorite character but I've always seen her as much a victim as a villain. That being so, I think my vote goes to her father. I spent the latter half of ASoS wishing him devastation, destruction and grief and was consequently crushed when Tyrion very quickly put him out of existence. My disappointment has only magnified with time as I bitterly wish him still alive to see the utter annihilation of House Lannister.

Archived