TitanCon 2012 - Belfast - 22 Sept

The shiny brand new TitanCon 2012 website has now launched:

www.titancon.com

TitanCon 2012 will take place on Saturday 22 September 2012 at the Europa Hotel, Belfast. Once again our primary focus will be Game of Thrones but we'll also be offering an interesting and diverse mix of SF/F literary, media and gaming programming as well.

As with TitanCon 2011 we won't be able to confirm the full line up of Game of Thrones guests until probably just a couple of weeks before the convention. The filming schedule can change on a week by week basis but as soon as we know who is in Belfast and available to attend TitanCon we will announce the names everywhere as loudly as we can. I assure you this is more aggravating for us than you can imagine but we are determined to do our best not to announce a name only to retract them later because they can no longer make it. We would hate to do that to you.

But we can confirm a few definite guests for you right now - Ron Donachie (Rodrik Cassel), Kristian Nairn (Hodor), Miltos Yerolemou (Syrio Forel), Art Parkinson (Rickon Stark) and Aimee Richardson (Myrcella Baratheon). From the Game of Thrones crew we have storyboard artist William Simpson.

We will also have author guests in attendance: Ian McDonald, Peadar Ó Guilín, Leigh Bardugo (author of Shadow & Bone), Ruth Frances Long, Ken Magee and literary agent Joanna Volpe. We are also happy to announce that the cast and crew of new Joseph Campo's web series The Clandestine will be our guests at TitanCon. Screenwriters Spence Wright and Richard Crawford will be there. Comic creator Andy Luke will be running The Magnificent One Day Comic Book Factory with assistance from Patrick Brown and Paul J Holden of Judge Dredd fame.

We'll be announcing more guests over the coming weeks leading up to the convention so check the website and our Twitter feed for news and announcements.

UPDATE: Joining us from the Game of Thrones drapes department is Emma Andrews. She will be running a Dothraki Jewellery Workshop for us at TitanCon 2012. We're offering the opportunity to sit down with Emma and create your very own piece of Dothraki jewellery. All the materials will be provided for you including wooden beads and real horse hair from Emma's own horses to string it all together.

Photo session and special workshop sign-up details released

Included in our newly released programming information are all the details you need to know about purchasing photo sessions with our Game of Thrones guests and also details about signing up for our free special workshops including the Dothraki Jewellery Workshop and Game of Thrones Round Table sessions.

Photo session sales open at 12.00 midday on Saturday 15 September 2012

Special workshop sign-ups open at 12.00 midday on Sunday 16 September 2012

Fri 21 Sept 2012 - Culture Night Belfast

We'll be kicking off the weekend with a Friday evening event at McHughs Bar with readings from our author guests. This will be a FREE entry event open to the public and TitanCon members.

Sat 22 Sept 2012 - TitanCon

We have just announced our prospective programming schedule for the convention. This includes Game of Thrones panels, workshops and events, literary and media panels, gaming and evening entertainment.

Sun 23 Sept 2012 - Game of Thrones Coach Tour SOLD OUT

The Game of Thrones Coach Tour is SOLD OUT and no further tickets are available. We will not be adding extra spaces on the tour or at the feast, we don't expect anyone to cancel and we will not be running a waiting list. Sorry to those of you that have missed out this year, please remember to get in there a bit earlier next time.

Those lucky enough to have tickets for one of the three coaches on our 2012 Game of Thrones coach tour can look forward to a great day out including the Giant's Causeway, Ballintoy Harbour, Renly's camp at Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, Shane's Castle - the location of the tourney from season one and also the location where we will be holding this year's feast along with a combat demonstration by Clan Ulaidh.

Full membership = £18

Full membership currently costs £18 and will increase to £20 on 1 September 2012. BUY YOUR MEMBERSHIP NOW!

Supporting memberships = £5

If you are not sure whether you can attend TitanCon 2012, or know you cannot, but still want to help make the convention a success then you can purchase a supporting membership for just £5. Supporting membership can be upgraded to full membership at any time by paying the difference in price. This is based on your initial purchase date so if you buy a supporting membership before 1 June 2012 you can upgrade for just £10 at any point up to the convention. Supporting memberships bought between 1 June 2012 and 1 September 2012 can be upgraded for £13 and after 1 September 2012 for £15.

Anyone who would like to make a more substantial donation is welcome to purchase multiple supporting memberships. We greatly appreciate anyone that supports us and we'll keep all our supporting members up to date with news and special offers for future TitanCons.

Special room rate offer for TitanCon 2012 members - Days Hotel

We are pleased to announce that we have arranged a special room rate offer for TitanCon 2012 members at Days Hotel. Days are holding 25 rooms for us from 21st September for 2 nights - 15 twin rooms and 10 double rooms. The rates are:

£60 bed and breakfast per room per night for single occupancy

£65 bed and breakfast per room per night for double occupancy

Please see our hotel information page for more details about this offer and other accommodation available in Belfast.

Volunteers

TitanCon would be impossible to run without the help of dedicated members willing to give up their time at the convention to volunteer doing the necessary jobs to keep everything running smoothly. We greatly appreciate anyone who would be willing to help with early morning set up, door security, reception and panel assistants during the day and also evening clear up. If you would be willing to give up an hour or two to help us run TitanCon 2012 please fill in a volunteer form and we'll get in touch with you.

This year we have a Volunteer Coordinator whose sole responsibility is to organise the volunteer work schedule.

Questions?

Please get in touch with us if you have any questions you'd like to ask. We'll do our best to help.

We are really looking forward to bringing you another exciting TitanCon in September - see you there!

Full guest lineup:

Saturday night film entertainment: Strange Frame

Time: 9.00 pm

Room: King's Landing

TitanCon is thrilled to present the Irish Premiére of Strange Frame. This beautiful hand animated science fiction film, directed by G.B. Hajim, takes us on a psychedelic journey into love and music in a dystopian future. It describes itself as the first lesbian science fiction rock 'n roll animated film.

Featuring an outstanding cast of voice talent including:

• Tim Curry
  • Claudia Black
  • Ron Glass
  • Juliet Landau
  • Alan Tudyk
  • Tara Strong
  • Cree Summer
  • Michael Dorn
  • Claudia Christian
  • George Takei

Strange Frame was 13 years in the making with a full six years spent on animating every frame by hand using traditional cut-out style art - no computer cgi in this film. Read more about the making of this incredible animated film and see the trailer.

Westeros & Winter-is-Coming attendance list:

theMountainGoat

Silverjaime

Speculator

JacMac30

dreximgirl

Peadar

Hedgerow

Pebble that Hides

Maistjarnan

SamanthaofTarth

Rabbit_01

Isandregil (changed from Morchaint)

Uvatha

Qthulhu

"Steinman" or "Johan Sporre"

TinyUmber

Giant of Lannister

wee_birdie

Nick Larter/Thremnir

ezeqiel (@Westeros) / House Umber (@ WiC)

Padraig, Pod, Something or other

Patchy Face

GameofThronesJoe

shawlax

Marcus Wood

Kissed by Fire

iamarogue

DrNickVC

Dracarya

Adz of CCAA

Eira

Hamster of Doom

Eloisa

MC Geek

Targh

Fragile Bird

Winter's Lady

JonpoT

Kharn

williamjm

-MerlyN-

IrishHatGirl

Little Miss Sunshine

• 1 month later...

Confirmed going to TitainCon

Adz :grouphug: + Gummybears

Derfel Cardem

Eaeron (member 100)

Fire and Blood (Dracayra) (+1? ) +2?

Fragile Bird

JacMac + 5?

Kissdbyfire

MC Geek + Eloisa

Mountain Goat :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Peadar :drool:

Pebble

Pod :ph34r:

SamathaOfTarth

Six Table Jill the dealer +1?

Targh + JonpoT

Wee_Birdie

Uvatha +1

Possible/maybe's

Giant of Lannister

Lanky316

Luisa Aoiftrazzini

Winters Lady

People Looking for Roomies (please let me know when you have found a roomie so I can take you off this list)

Adz (Female)

People who plan on going on the coach tour (note you can't buy tickets yet)

Peadar

SamanthaofTarth

Six Table Jill the dealer

Pebble

Fire and Blood (Dracayra) (+1? ) +2?

Adz

Targh

Fragile Bird

Eaeron (member 100)

Derfel Cardem

MC Geek + Eloisa

JacMac + 5?

If I've missed you off and would like to be added please say so

Yes I know MG allready knows all this, but its nice for us to keep a list. I will keep updating this as people post.

You only have this much time left

This sounds amazing! If anyone can give me some advice on the best places to stay and what to expect there, I'd be grateful :)

The Europa is in central Belfast so there are plenty of places to stay around there. The Europa itself seemed like a nice hotel (despite apparently holding the unenviable title of being the most-bombed building in Europe), but I think it's a bit pricey. For the con last year I stayed in the Premiere Inn which was fairly close and affordable and perfectly adequate for somewhere to sleep that you won't spend much time in.

The Europa is in central Belfast so there are plenty of places to stay around there. The Europa itself seemed like a nice hotel (despite apparently holding the unenviable title of being the most-bombed building in Europe), but I think it's a bit pricey. For the con last year I stayed in the Premiere Inn which was fairly close and affordable and perfectly adequate for somewhere to sleep that you won't spend much time in.

I saw that on the website, what a title to hold!

I'm trying to get some friends to come with me, travelling all that way on my own seems a bit daunting, and as I'm a poor student I was looking at the hostels. Are there any I should definitely avoid?

The coach trip looks brilliant too, are there any guesses as to how much that might cost? It seems that it wouldn't be included in the price of the membership.

Total n00b here, apologies for all the questions! :P

I'm trying to get some friends to come with me, travelling all that way on my own seems a bit daunting, and as I'm a poor student I was looking at the hostels. Are there any I should definitely avoid?

For the Belfast meet for the first pilot a few years ago a few of us stayed in the Linen House Hostel, which was very cheap (I think £10 a night), but also very basic (even after we persuaded them to move us to a room with intact windows). I wouldn't really recommend it. I think there may have been other alternatives suggested in last year's TitanCon thread, maybe you can look back at it.

The coach trip looks brilliant too, are there any guesses as to how much that might cost? It seems that it wouldn't be included in the price of the membership.

I'm not sure if the price has been confirmed for this year, but last year I think it was about £25 for the coach tour, which I thought was quite reasonable for a day's entertainment including a nice meal.

For the Belfast meet for the first pilot a few years ago a few of us stayed in the Linen House Hostel, which was very cheap (I think £10 a night), but also very basic (even after we persuaded them to move us to a room with intact windows). I wouldn't really recommend it. I think there may have been other alternatives suggested in last year's TitanCon thread, maybe you can look back at it.

Will do, thank you! There's a comment on the website about that hostel I believe, I was looking at the youth hostel one in particular. I will definitely try to find some reviews - a hotel would be nice, but I think even the cheapest ones are a bit too much for me.

I'm not sure if the price has been confirmed for this year, but last year I think it was about £25 for the coach tour, which I thought was quite reasonable for a day's entertainment including a nice meal.

That's very reasonable, it's nice to have a rough idea of how much money I'll need to scrape together :)

There is also the option of travelling by coach rather than flying. Eurolines do a coach into Belfast. I know they go from London and Manchester - you'd have to look on their website to see if they go from another station close to you (as I don't know where abouts you're based). I know when I looked between Manchester/Belfast it would cost £50 - that's 3x less than what the airfare is going to cost.

Archived