Gendry and Arya

Cap Ou Pas Cap

:love: Arya and Gendry :love: Those two have to meet up again.

Actually, Arya, Gendry, and Hot Pie all need to get back together and kick some ass throughout Westeros. They'll all be better at what they do now: Gendry a smith and now possible hammer wielding warrior; Arya the badass assassin girl, and Hot Pie is... well, better at baking hot pies probably (just imagine how much better they'll taste).

Ditto to all the comments above. The problem is Gendry is a bastard, even if he's the king's bastard. Henry VIII and a lot of other English and French kings had bastards that they recoginized, looked after, educated and gave lands and titles to. Henry VIII had a famous male bastard that was given quite a high position. And English history is full of male bastards made lords and female bastards married off to lords.

The reason the kings recognized these bastards was because they were evidence the kings could perform and could produce sons and daughters. Imagine how pissed Henry was over the fact that he could get sons outside of marriage but not with his wives.

But the important fact is, they recognized them and the court acknowledged them. Queen Cersei hated Robert's bastards, would not allow them to be acknowledged, and went about trying to kill them as soon as Robert was dead. There is no one around now who would ask for Gendry to be legitimized, and no on to take on his education and training. And no one to give him lands and titles. He doesn't seem interested in becoming a knight, which would be a path to raise himself up. If a Stark became king, and Gendry did something noble, perhaps he would be made a lord, but at the moment we don't have enough information to go on.

Sad to say, Gendry is simply not suitable for Arya at the moment.

I might be mistaken but wasn't Gendry already knighted by Donndorian?

Ditto to all the comments above. The problem is Gendry is a bastard, even if he's the king's bastard. Henry VIII and a lot of other English and French kings had bastards that they recoginized, looked after, educated and gave lands and titles to. Henry VIII had a famous male bastard that was given quite a high position. And English history is full of male bastards made lords and female bastards married off to lords.

The reason the kings recognized these bastards was because they were evidence the kings could perform and could produce sons and daughters. Imagine how pissed Henry was over the fact that he could get sons outside of marriage but not with his wives.

But the important fact is, they recognized them and the court acknowledged them. Queen Cersei hated Robert's bastards, would not allow them to be acknowledged, and went about trying to kill them as soon as Robert was dead. There is no one around now who would ask for Gendry to be legitimized, and no on to take on his education and training. And no one to give him lands and titles. He doesn't seem interested in becoming a knight, which would be a path to raise himself up. If a Stark became king, and Gendry did something noble, perhaps he would be made a lord, but at the moment we don't have enough information to go on.

@ Artos Stark

Yes, you're right about Ser Beric Dondarrion knighting people, and I should have expounded on that. I actually considered the knighthoods from Ser Beric a joke. Sandor certainly thought so. I just forgot about them, since everyone and anyone was knighted, and by a dead person to boot, in what was basically a thumbing of his nose at other knights. I have difficulty considering those knighthoods real. Gendry is actually more interested in continuing as a smith, not as a knight, ergo my comment.

I'm not sure of the actual criteria for knighthood - generally you had to prove yourself, then get annointed at the Sept, and then be knighted by the king or the Kingsguard. After the battle for King's Landing, 600 new knights are made, from those who had proved themselves in the battle.

Knights are also made in the field, the way Jaime was, but again, he was knighted by a member of the Kingsguard.

By the way, I've done multiple posts because I clicked Post and nothing seemed to happen, so I clicked again. I gather the system has really been busy, so it at times sort of churns away. I think the administrators clear away the repeats.

Yes, but it's also an empty title that isn't formally recognized anywhere outside of the Brotherhood without Banners.

Still, if Gendry distinguishes himself enough, and the Brotherhood is successful, he could go far in life. Plus I think whoever ends up head of House Stark will know better then to set up Arya with anyone she doesn't want to be with.

I'm not sure of the actual criteria for knighthood - generally you had to prove yourself, then get annointed at the Sept, and then be knighted by the king or the Kingsguard. After the battle for King's Landing, 600 new knights are made, from those who had proved themselves in the battle.

Any knight can make a knight, says Tyrion in book 2 or 3 (I forget. Probably book 2), with regard to the Kettleblacks.

Ser Duncan the Tall, eventually Lord Commander of the Kingsgard, tells people he was knighted by Ser Arlan before his death (though that's unverified). However, he ran into problems enrolling in the tourney in The Hedge Knight because no one remembered who Ser Arlan was.

Knighting definitely does not need to be by the Kingsguard; there are -way- too many knights for that. Anointment and standing vigil etc might be part of it, but who knows. I imagine it's much easier to be accepted as a knight if you have nice equipment and a horse. There are definitely levels of knighthood, but a knighting is a knighting.

Edit: the way things are going, with regard to Gendry being appropriate for Arya. If Stannis wins, it's somewhat likely Gendry would be legitimized and declared an heir, given Shireen's condition and the EXTREME unlikelihood that Stannis is going to make another kid with Selyse. Although it's possible Selyse dies and Stannis remarries, I guess. Though I cannot at all see Arya as Queen Consort.

There are not that many friendships in ASoIaF. Two others I can think of is Robert/Eddard and Jon/Sam. But Robert and Ned are both dead, Sam and Jon are not really equals in their relationship. Couldn't Nymeria befriend Gendry until Arya omes back and REMEMBERS him, damn it! :idea: Befriend not meaning "eat".

I thought about that too. Then Arya can see him through Nymeriy's eyes. Is it possible that Gendry would know when Nymeria is being warged by Arya? I think lady Stoneheart would still recognise Nymeria if she saw her. Maybe it is even possible that seeing Stoneheart and Gendry through Nymeria is what will remind Arya of her name and bring her back to Westeros.

But there is that Willow Heddle girl around. I hope Gendry will not decide he would stay there and marry her or something before Arya arrives.

I have to be the voice of dissent here. The thought of a 15 year old falling in love with a 9 year old does not appeal to me at all.

I don't think anyone wants them to fall in love right now, that would be just wrong, I agree.

But isn't Arya almost 12 now? We don't know how much time will pass in future books, so Arya might be old enough by then. And I personally don't need to see a big wuv story unfolding, just a hint that there is something between them that can lead to that in the future...

Yes, I really thought that Arya and Gendry had a strong connection and he definitely was starting to have strong feelings for her. His derogatory comments about lords and ladies and the highborn screamed of his frustration that he is a low born bastard and does not believe he could ever have any future with her, hence his obvious jealousy when Edric Dayne came on the scene. However, Arya never cared about that kind of thing and after the war I am sure a lot of those social restrictions will be thrown out the window. I mean, if Arya doesn't care about who is lowborn and highborn, there is really not that many other people in her life who would care about it either. Of her immediate family, Ned and Catelyn would have cared but they are not around to object now (I don't count Lady Stoneheart as having any say). Jon certainly wouldn't care, nor would Bran or Rickon, and I don't even think Sansa would really care at this point either.

I hope they do get together in the end when they are older. GRRM had originally planned a five year time gap after AFFC and he left those characters in places of relative stability but far from each other. I got the sense that they would meet up again after some time had passed in later books. (I feel the same about Sandor and Sansa too). The only question is how they will be dealt with now that there is no time gap.

The Fun Ending is Gendry as the new Storm Lord ("earning it" through a mixture of heroic behavior in the war and by being Robert's son), with Arya as our new delightfully awkward Lady of Storm's End. The nobility would love to visit for the thrill of seeing what scandalous new changes Arya was making to the social order that week. Hot Pie of course would be the castle's baker, and so on.

They were freaking adorable, and then Gendry so rudely disappeared off the pages. I think he would re-appear to forge something important, there is a feeling that his story isn't quite fulfilled - but I'm not so sure there would be epic romance or even him learning who his father was. As much as I'd love to see it! George has left so many loose ends, I'm afraid he might give up on tying some of them.

And I don't think there was anything disturbing about them: crushes can be purely romantic and affectionate, it doesn't have to be sexual - and then something else could grow when Arya is of age.

They were freaking adorable, and then Gendry so rudely disappeared off the pages. I think he would re-appear to forge something important, there is a feeling that his story isn't quite fulfilled - but I'm not so sure there would be epic romance or even him learning who his father was. As much as I'd love to see it! George has left so many loose ends, I'm afraid he might give up on tying some of them.

And I don't think there was anything disturbing about them: crushes can be purely romantic and affectionate, it doesn't have to be sexual - and then something else could grow when Arya is of age.

Yes, I totally agree! I may be dating myself here, but does anyone remember the Thorn Birds? Ralph is a young man when he first meets Maggie but it's clear that there's something about her that attracts him. It's not weird or squicky that Maggie is so young because it's not a sexual thing at that point. Then later, when Maggie grows up, things change.

Archived