How Should Theon Be Judged? (Spoilers)

Drowsey Dragon

I feel bad for theon yet hate him at the same time. He was forced to make a difficult decision: his house and blood or the people who raised him and befriended despite being their prisoner. The starks did kill his brothers, but did he even know them? after the cold treatment he got upon his return, he could've easily gone back to robb and warned him of the ironborn invasion. he knew the people of winterfell, grew up around them, but put em to the sword just to "prove himself".

The decisions he made were poor and i have no sympathy for the road he took. but theon's truly a tragic character, one that i liked, and still feel somewhat sorry for him

I felt sorry for Theon in the first two chapters when he goes back to his family and to find a cold hearted father who is unforgiving and bent on revenge. I must admit, he is very arrogant and self-assured at first that everything will work in his favour. His own sister mocks him so he is rather taken a back by that. Theon becomes lost in what little self worth he has left so he decides to prove himself in order to gain his father's approval.

Its his decisions and lack of conscience (consequences of his actions) that I begin to question. At that point, Theon doesn't reallze this until it's too late.

Ned Stark was a much better role model for him. If Theon had stayed with his father, he would have the same grim outlook (Look at his uncle). Perhaps, Ned knew that as well and that was the reason he was willing to take him as a "ward". What he (Theon) did at Winterfell doesn't excuse his behaviour.

IMO, Theon is a paradox within himself.

I just finished reading a Clash of Kings, and I have to admit that my feelings on Theon have really, really changed.

Pertaining to the books, it was the conversation that he had with Maester Luwin about joining the Black; the fact that he, as the book described it, "daydreamed" about joining the Black, surviving, and gaining some level of honor back, was appealing for him and that showed a lot, to me, about his character - something about his character that we didn't see before.

At this point, I can't help but sum up Theon's story so far, as anything other than tragic.

He was a victim of war, taken away from his home and made to grow up in the unfamiliar territory of the Starks. Whle they treated him well, he was always reminded constantly of the fact that he was an outsider - something that the show does a terrific job of reminding it's viewers (remember the scene with Ros?). Then, once he finally returns home, the welcome is anything but expected; at the end of the day he seemed to be someone who was just so desperate to fit in, and to please. To dumb it down further, Theon had daddy issues!

Regaining respect and honor was the only thing on his mind, and is what really drove him. Did he make some grave mistakes on the way? Of course he did, and while he most definitely shouldn't be viewed in any sort of positive light for those mistakes, it's not at all hard to understand the motivation behind his actions.

For me, the story of Theon Greyjoy thus far, is a tragic one.

I can't understand him. He loves starks very much and he says so himself but he end up betraying Starks. He knows his father don't gives a shit about him and Eddard was a better father to him than his own( I know he was with ned when he was 10) but he betray his family and his borthers. In my mind he is a turncloak and he should be beheaded because of his treason. But GRRM makes him so miserable and weak that you feel sorry for him. I think if he help Bran or Rickon is some sort of way, people can forgive him for what he did.

True but his father is still his father. No matter how much time he spent with the Starks, they were no substitute for real family. Theon also strikes me as a bit of a weak character (not physically weak). He is easily influenced by those around him, including the ironmen who he was trying to impress. He was trying to show them that he was a hard, cold ironman (not Tony Stark, :-D) of Pyke and hadn't gone soft during his time with the Starks as his father was insinuating. Above all, it comes down to him seeking his father's approval after the cold welcome Balon Greyjoy gave him.

I agree that Theon's story is tragic. I like the line he had in the show (I don't think he had it in the book, but I could be wrong) where he arguing with his father and he says something along the lines of "you GAVE me away, and then you accuse me of being a traitor when I try to come back."

The Greyjoys will never accept him because he spent 10 years with the Starks. The Starks could never accept him because he's really a Greyjoy. No matter what, he's has no real home. Luwin's suggestion that he join the Night's Watch is genius, because it's probably the only way he'll ever find a "family" that completely accepts him.

That all said, I really don't like him. HIs actions at Winterfell are just totally unforgivable.

Archived