Brans weirwood visions

shmoove

There are also tales from European prehistory of Kings of Winter who are sacrificed to bring an end to winter. Lots of wine & women for a short time. And then the chop. Perhaps in the very dim and distant past the Starks had to perform this aspect of being “kings of winter”. Especially if it has lasted longer than was comfortable and fears of a new Long Night are growing. And this is what Bran has seen.

And he has seen it because it is exactly this kind of blood sacrifice that will be needed again.

That's very good to know, you could be on to something. In ancient India, after a certain period of time the king would sacrifice himself.

Tall, hard, stern men with beards in fur and chain mail forcing a captive down on his knees. A white haired woman killing the captive with a bronze sickle.

Why does everyone assume the killing in front of the Weirwood heart tree is a sacrafice? If we look at what happened at Riverrun when Rickard Karstark was executed, it was done in the Godswood, in front of their Heart Tree.

Why does everyone assume the killing in front of the Weirwood heart tree is a sacrafice? If we look at what happened at Riverrun when Rickard Karstark was executed, it was done in the Godswood, in front of their Heart Tree.

That thought hadn't occurred to me. But you're right, it could be an execution rather than a sacrifice. But that the deed is done by a woman using a bronze sickle makes the scene feel like a sacrifice.

Yes, you're right about the Heart Tree but the three executions we have seen so far done by male Starks (Ned, Robb and Jon) looked pretty similar. A sword, a block and the person is beheaded, a clean death. This one looked more like a sacrifice, I don't know, it's done by a woman (with white hair I think?) maybe she was some kind of old sorcerer, then there's the bronze sickle too, she slashes the throat of the victim... Don't know, Bran could taste the blood in his mouth as he watched what could mean that the weirdwood was being fed with the blood of that man, to me looks like a sacrifice to the Old Gods. And IIRC Ned tells Bran in AGOT that they follow the "old ways and the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword", so wouldn't that imply that the way people have always been executed in the North is by sword and done by the Stark in Winterfell?

• 1 month later...

I pretty much agree with everything you said. Could the pregnant woman be that daughter of the Stark King that Bael the bard stole from Winterfell leaving a blue rose in her place? When the girl appeared again she had a baby and that kid killed Bael 30 years later.

But didn't she committ suicide after the son she had with bael killed him in battle. I could be misinformed about this.

• A girl and a younger boy play fighting with branches

i think its either Lyanna and Brandon or Lyanna and Robert

id like to think its robert shes fighting with and hes attracted to her because shes strong willed, skilled at fighting etc etc etc like arya but why would he did in the north when he was in the vale as a ward if im correct? but he must of fell in love with her at some stage as its so strong, is lyanna older then robert?

@Machinist

And still Mance Rayder ( the guy who beat up Jon, glamoured as Rattleshirt ) called Benjen the bane of his people. Maybe Lyanna was really awesome.

edit for corrections.

I got the impression that Bael the Bard story happened many a hundred years ago. Ygritte said that the wildlings and Starks shared a bloodline. For it to be such a norm, it must go back hundreds of years, at least. It doesn't fit in with the timeline if the tree was showing Bran things in the past in reverse order and if the tall man kissing the woman is indeed Duncan the Tall.

As for the pregnant woman being Jeyne Westerling, I doubt it. Jaime met Jeyne with her mother outside Riverrun, remember? I doubt Sybil (I hope that's her name) would lie about which daughter she was parading in front of Jaime. She always struck me as someone who was intent on her daughter's marriage to the Young Wolf failing so as to make sure that when the North lost the war, her family would be safe.

This leaves only one option as I see it.

Someone we haven't been introduced to yet. And why not? Who says every vision MUST add to the story and can't just be enrichment to the Martinverse?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think the man with the dark eyes is Bloodraven, besides the red eye BR has a red region (can't remember the proper word in English :bang: ) in his neck.

The word you are looking for in every day usage is birthmark. In medical terms, Bloodraven probably has a port wine stain or hemangioma.

I agree this not Bloodraven. Bran knows Bloodraven. He would have noted Bloodraven making arrows and not described a dark eyed young man.

Why he can't do that. she is a person that Ned trust very very much. it is very big I know and that thing about honor and stuff is correct. The thing is we can take two different meaning from that line and because I don't like this R+L=J theory, I wanna go with Jon being Ned's son and in that case he should beg Cat for forgiveness.

but in the other way he doesn't need to be that mush sorry, he did the right thing and it's the result of it.

In the end I consent that he needs Cat forgiveness .

He also needs her forgiveness for putting their whole family in danger for hiding Rhaegar's son among them. He is honorable enough to be ashamed of that as well, even if she doesn't know about this danger.

One has to assume that we're being shown all of these visions for a reason, otherwise he'd be watching somebody dabbling his feet in the pond while doing the crossword in the Westeros Times and other inconsequential stuff like that.

Ned is obviously Ned and the kids could be Benjen and Lyanna although at this stage I'm not sure about the significance, while the pregnant woman as others have said will no doubt be explained in the She-Wolves of Winterfell. The tall guy is obviously Dunk, but I have to come down on the side of the youth with the arrows being young Bloodraven simply because if he isn't what's the point of him. The youth and the arrows must tie into the story somewhere and I really don't see him being anonymous and unknowable - its a bit like Coldhands, he could possible be Benjen although I very much doubt it and for various reasons explained on other threads reckon him to be Bran Stark the Nights King, but either way the fact he's concealing his identity strongly points to his being a Stark and I just don't see a previously unknown Stark popping out of the woodwork. Similarly here, I can't see the point of showing us the youth is he isn't Bloodraven.

As to the old bat with the bronze sickle; classic Celtic human sacrifice and almost certainly signifying the Starks allegiance to the Old Gods

But didn't she committ suicide after the son she had with bael killed him in battle. I could be misinformed about this.

Yeah, I think so. Anyway, after my answer, Apple Martini said that the woman in the vision is probably one of the she wolves of Winterfell (which makes much more sense) , I haven't read the Dunk and Egg tales yet but I think she may be right.

Archived