A Memory of Light official Release Date

kcf

I for one, as a WoT fan, can finally rest easy that no more butchering of the best epic fantasy will ever take place.

You might just be trolling, but I really do not understand this argument. If you find the Sanderson WoT to be upjumped fanfiction, fine, don't read it.

But getting pissed off that it is being published? When Jordan specifically asked that someone finish his work and made copious notes to help them get it as close to right as possible? It's just ridiculous.

Damn, i just thought again about how I've been reading this series for 20 years now. That's nuts. More than half of my life I have either been reading a WoT book or waiting for a WoT book. I'm not sure how I feel about the series ending.

I'm in a similar situation. i first picked up a WoT novel 13 years ago - so,my entire adult life I've been doing what you've been doing.

I'll be sad to see the series end, but also glad of it. It's such a long time to invest in waiting for the completion of something.

Damn, i just thought again about how I've been reading this series for 20 years now. That's nuts. More than half of my life I have either been reading a WoT book or waiting for a WoT book. I'm not sure how I feel about the series ending.

I'm in a similar situation. i first picked up a WoT novel 13 years ago - so,my entire adult life I've been doing what you've been doing.

I'll be sad to see the series end, but also glad of it. It's such a long time to invest in waiting for the completion of something.

I for one, as a WoT fan, can finally rest easy that no more butchering of the best epic fantasy will ever take place.

I am not really sure what to think about this, other than to say that if you feel Brandon has done anything less than an excellent job with Wheel of Time I disagree profoundly.

Probably summer or as late as November 2013, which would have been the case had AMoL come out in November 2012 anyway. Brandon thinks summer is doable, but he has to write the thing first.

Cool, thanks for answering Peter! Whenever he gets it done I am sure it will be great, Way of Kings is one of my favorite books of the last several years.

I'm thrilled to have a release date. I've been reading WoT for about 10 years, and am looking forward to seeing how it ends. I'm a member of the forums at Dragonmount.com, and the whole forums crashed yesterday...we broke the internet, LOL

The thing about WoT is, unlike most series, we knew exactly what was coming from TEOTW onwards. Pretty much, we have been waiting for the last battle and Shadar Logoth for a dozen books. No one knows how ASOIAF or other long awaited series end exactly, so the middle books feel just as important. This last WoT book has been what everyone was looking forward to since about book 3.

Also, I'm glad they're taking their time getting this one done. For better or worse, the series is going to be defined by this book.

The thing about WoT is, unlike most series, we knew exactly what was coming from TEOTW onwards. Pretty much, we have been waiting for the last battle and Shadar Logoth for a dozen books. No one knows how ASOIAF or other long awaited series end exactly, so the middle books feel just as important. This last WoT book has been what everyone was looking forward to since about book 3.

Also, I'm glad they're taking their time getting this one done. For better or worse, the series is going to be defined by this book.

OK... so tell us what's going to happen in the last book. How's it going to end?

As for the release date, Brandon's blog seems to indicate this may be moved ahead if they get done sooner, which I sincerely hope they won't be.

I am glad it's done. The long "wait" doesn't fuss me - 99% of the time I forget that that series even exists. I'll get it as soon as I can once it's released and tear through it. I've been with this series since the '90s, it will be nice to have closure.

And then I can rest. :)

I am probably one of the fortunate ones that came to WoT late (June last year) so I read 1-13 fairly quickly, I cant say that I noticed anything that I could describe as butchering. Perhaps it's harder when you have been waiting for so long for each book so you come to have a certain expectation of something (dunno)?

For me, I found the books written by Sanderson a little quicker paced and more humorous. I loved what he did with Matt, I struggled to like him before Sanderson got hold of him by the ears and shook him up a bit and frankly Nyavene ticked me right off until Gathering...

Anyhow, it's good to know they have pinned a release date :)

Judging by some of the responses, I know I'm not the only one who thinks Sanderson did a great job, I'd even say a better job than Jordan, at finishing up this long series. Jordan had lost sight of his end goal, if Crossroads is any indication. Sanderson helped get things back on track and moved the narrative forward, which is what needed to happen in this saga.

It'll be good to read and finish this one up.

OK... so tell us what's going to happen in the last book. How's it going to end?

As for the release date, Brandon's blog seems to indicate this may be moved ahead if they get done sooner, which I sincerely hope they won't be.

There's going to be a fairly massive battle that takes up most of the book. There's going to be a confrontation between Rand and the Dark One. Granted, we don't know details, whether it will be happy or sad, if Rand lives or dies, etc. But knowing there had to be a battle and Rand had to be there to lead it, it took some of the excitement out of the middle of the series and saved it all up for the end book. Additionally, after a couple books it became obvious that all the major characters were destined to live at least until the final book, which again takes some of the mystery out of the series and saves it all for the end.

Perrin's whole struggling with his wolf nature was not that interesting, because we knew he was going to lead the wolves at the last battle. The confrontation with Demandred has been saved for the last book, which you kind of knew it would be since Lord of Chaos. That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the books in between (some of them anyway), but I haven't felt like anything important was going to happen in them.

Take a look at the main players: Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Nyneeve, Elaine, and Morraine- Ready to fight in the last battle, pretty much were ready to do that at the end of TEOTW. They might have had interesting stories along the way, but there's definitely been a feeling for me at least that I was reading a LOT of pages of material that in the end made little difference. The last book is the only one that really matters.

Take a look at the main players: Rand, Mat, Perrin, Egwene, Nyneeve, Elaine, and Morraine- Ready to fight in the last battle, pretty much were ready to do that at the end of TEOTW. They might have had interesting stories along the way, but there's definitely been a feeling for me at least that I was reading a LOT of pages of material that in the end made little difference. The last book is the only one that really matters.

I don't understand. You really believe the unsophisticated, ignorant, powerless country bumpkins we had at the end of EotW were ready to defeat the Dark One? Maybe if this were a story about how stubborn country folk walk to a volcano and save the world, you'd have a point.

I guess the triumph over the Dark One has always been guaranteed. It is always really that way in dichotomy stories, good eventually triumphs over evil. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Kingkiller Chronicle and others all follow this same formula (I even suspect that Song of Ice and Fire will follow this formula to a degree, the Others will eventually be defeated, despite all the bad things that happen along the way). So I am not sure that I buy into the premise that WoT is so predictable, while other great series are totally unpredictable. I think that the Last Battle scenes may end up surprising quite a few of us.

I wanna see Logaine get his moment of glory. If I'm lucky, it will involve him laying a beat down on somebody who has just admitted to killing Asmodaen.

And for Rand to realize letting the Lews aspect take the hit means the Rand part can survive.

Archived