If you could ask George RR Martin one question about ASoIaF

a free shadow

[mod] Speculating about GRRM's health is in very poor taste and thus is not allowed on the forum. Thank you. [/mod]

I would ask him if he enjoys writing ASOIAF.

He has already answered this (multiple times, in fact): he does not like writing, he likes "having written." Which I understand completely -- I like everything about my editing job except, you know, the actual task of editing, which is the pits. :)

I have a crackpot theory about the seasons. The moon of their world is very heavy. It is, in fact, the iron core of an inner planet that was destroyed by a cosmic collision early in the accretion phase and sent further out where it was captured by their world's gravity. There are gas giants further out from their sun and when that heavy moon and those gas giants are aligned just so the orbit of their planet is elongated and when the alignment happens in the other direction the orbit is shortened.

Very simple and straightforward

"Mr. Martin, does Theon still have a *ahem* penis?"

I actually wish someone would ask him this in a Q & A session after a reading. Why not? It's a valid question. It offers insight into just how deep Ramsay's hatred of Theon goes.

I also wish someone would ask him, just to see if he answers, whether Ramsay actually wrote the letter to Jon from the end of ADWD. I'm curious about whether he ever intended that to be ambiguous, or whether he would be like, "duh, Ramsay." If he refuses to answer, whoa, that could set off another gajillion posts, because it means there actually IS some intended mystery about it.

I actually wish someone would ask him this in a Q & A session after a reading. Why not? It's a valid question. It offers insight into just how deep Ramsay's hatred of Theon goes.

I also wish someone would ask him, just to see if he answers, whether Ramsay actually wrote the letter to Jon from the end of ADWD. I'm curious about whether he ever intended that to be ambiguous, or whether he would be like, "duh, Ramsay." If he refuses to answer, whoa, that could set off another gajillion posts, because it means there actually IS some intended mystery about it.

That's another reason why I picked the question I did. It's pretty inconsequential so I should be able to expect a straightforward answer.

I would ask him, "Why Essos?" Why bring characters there, what does it add to ASOIAF as a whole, etc.

Sometimes I think Essos is like a way station to go until they are actually needed in the story and that's it. Dany's essentially been hanging out until her dragons get big enough and Tyrion is there to meet up with her so he can get back and do whatever it is he's meant to do.

Edit: Not sometimes. I think this all the time actually.

Sometimes I think Essos is like a way station to go until they are actually needed in the story and that's it. Dany's essentially been hanging out until her dragons get big enough and Tyrion is there to meet up with her so he can get back and do whatever it is he's meant to do.

Edit: Not sometimes. I think this all the time actually.

If I had to guess, I would say Essos is there to enliven the story through exoticism and to provide Dany with a place to develop as a character. It seems like most readers (on this forum, anyway), don't much enjoy the Essos chapters, though, for various reasons. They do have that weigh station effect, the characters are flat, etc.

If I had to guess, I would say Essos is there to enliven the story through exoticism and to provide Dany with a place to develop as a character. It seems like most readers (on this forum, anyway), don't much enjoy the Essos chapters, though, for various reasons. They do have that weigh station effect, the characters are flat, etc.

I think the exoticism come off as mostly cartoonish though. At least to me, I wouldn't want to speak for others. But, yeah, flat characters, clearly defined "evil" people, and whatnot. It lacks the richness of Westeros so I don't get sucked in to the world nearly as much.

My question would be thus

"If fifteen years from now, when I have read the complete novel, I spend five more years contemplating the outcomes and constructing a time machine, then return to the present day and whisper a question in my own ear, what question would I choose if I wished to force you into revealing the most surprising detail you are loathe to give up?"

There would be serious risk that the question is so convoluted that the blood oath penalty might be accidentally invoked, but I'd take the risk.

As boring as this is, I would ask if R + L = J is true.

I'd ask something similar but throw a wider net. I'd ask him who every characters biological parents were. That way I could not only get Jon's parantage but also clear up the Tyrion as a Targ theory, and if Aegon is legit or a fake. Plus there might be some more surprises thrown in that is not even considered.

Archived