Best Chapter?

Sarnius

i really loved how jinglebell (i think that's his name) was SCREAMING the bear and the maiden over sansa and the tyrell's conversation. it struck me as hilarious and intense at the same time.

Nah, Jinglebell was the Frey Catelyn killed at the RW. You're thinking of Butterbumps I believe. Who, incidentally, is way cooler than Moon Boy or Patchface.

ASoS - Gotta go with Tyrion meeting the Red Viper. Just so much great back story.

ACoK - Jon and the Halfhand - “The fire will soon go out, but if the Wall should ever fall, all the fires will go out.”

AGoT - Cats last chapter, The King in the North.

AFfC - Jaime at Riverrun - Daven, Genna, 'but Tyrion is Tywin’s son, not you."

Dark Horse Candidate: Jaime's chapter before the RW in ASOS when Roose Bolton basically lays out the pros and cons of siding with Lannister over Stark. Then he lets Jaime go and we get an amazing piece of dialogue ending in, "Give my regards to Robb Stark."

This is such a difficult question to answer, there are so many chapters that I love in the books!

I read for the evolution of the characters, I really don't mind who wins as long as the characters that I love are around for the long haul.

I think CERSEI II in 'A Dance With Dragons' is such an excellent description of this character. I was willing her to hold on to her resolve not to cry, not to break or falter. Martin did an excellent job with Cersei's plight, i still feel so much for her on rereads.

I also loved BRIENNE VIII in 'A Feast For Crows' for a similar reason. To see her questioning her oaths was heartbreaking.

This is a great question since there's no right answer and everybody will have different opinions. Tons of amazing chapters to choose from; a few that stand out for me:

Jon giving Janos the chop in ADWD, I think everyone agrees that was a great moment. Seeing everything come full circle with Janos was epic.

Victorian's 2nd chapter, The Reaver, Vic kills about 10 people in 4 paragraphs, I have been a huge fan ever since then.

Epilogue for ASOS - I knew as soon as I realized it was a Frey he was going to die; of course that made me very happy, and then we find out Undead Cat has lots of unfinished business with the Frey family.

Upon my first reading of the series I would have said Sansa's chapter from the end of SoS, Ned's beheading, or any of the other brilliantly crafted shockers Martin has gifted us with.

Now that I'm on my re-read, I have to say ACoK Prologue...something about Cressen's description of a young Stannis and the 'Red Woman' really jumped out at me.

Kingsmoot- All the politcs I love about the series in one chapter. All the charcters so nicely outlined.

Second to last Tyrion chapter in ASoS- Brutal. From the Oberyn vs. the mountain to everyone laughing at Tyrion.

ADWD Epilogue- Was an excellent summary of events. But then *BAM* Varys come in.

Catelyn v. Jaime in ACoK- Loved the dialogue.

Now that I'm on my re-read, I have to say ACoK Prologue...something about Cressen's description of a young Stannis and the 'Red Woman' really jumped out at me.

It really set up the new characters quite well. Since it was a bit of a gamble to add a bunch of new characters, but as we later see GRRM is very adverse to this.

It really set up the new characters quite well. Since it was a bit of a gamble to add a bunch of new characters, but as we later see GRRM is very adverse to this.

Precisely. After finishing GoT for the first time, I was worried about who would fill the 'void' Ned had left. It took about 20 pgs for me to realize I would end up liking Stannis/Davos/Mel even more.

My favourite chapters (sorry, I don't know the numbers):

In no particular order:

Jaime, Brienne and the bear in ASOS (what the hell did he even think he could do? Watershed moment for Jaime.);

Jon's final chapter in the UK version of the first half of ASOS (this chapter is so clever; you start reading it wanting one thing to happen, then halfway through you think OK, no no no, never mind, move along, nowt to see here ... and it ends with a punching the air moment);

Davos' last ADWD chapter - two of my favourite plot strands are heading toward each other :D

Ooh, this one's tough. I have a few.

Love the King in the North chapter (Catelyn's) in GoT, I get chills when I read that, even now. Dany and the birth of her dragons. Love Sansa's chapter in Clash when she sings for Sandor. Davos's chapter in the same book about the Battle of the Blackwater. Dany in the House of the Undying. Jaime and Brienne in the bear pit in Storm, as well as the Red Wedding because it was such a huge shock. Dany getting the Unsullied. All of Theon's/Reek's chapters in Dance, but especially his last one, the only one called Theon. Asha's last chapter in Dance, too. Dany riding Drogon for the first time. And also her last chapter in Dance. I have lots more, these are just the standouts for me, the ones that come immediately to mind.

• 5 months later...

I'm doing a re-read and I just came across a chapter I really love, so much so that it inspired me to bump this thread.

Tyrion's PoV where he sends Janos to the wall. The dialogue is fantastic as the mood sways from friendly banter, to heated tension, to Tyrion basically commanding the discussion. It also shows that Tyrion is going to play the game all out, and really step up to a position of political power. To put the icing on the cake the discussion Tyrion has with Varys about power after Janos is sent off is absolutely fantastic. It's so well written, and so thought provoking.

Archived