Dany's Reaction to Quentyn & would Dany have liked Quentyn if he was hot?

teemo

I was so shocked the way that Dany treated Quentyn. That is when I seriously began to start disliking her. She treated them like traveling jesters or something and sent them away. I know Quentyn's task would have been more effective if he had more people with him, like a fleet, but they couldn't be conspicuous. I just thought a marriage proposal from the prince of Dorne may have been taken a bit more seriously. What really irked me were her thoughts along the lines of, "Maybe if he was the cuter one..." It really shocked me, and it seemed Barristan disapproved as well. Thoughts?

I don't blame Dany for turning down Quentyn's offer. She'd already become engaged to Hizdahr and there wasn't anything she could do to get out of it. I do think she could have handled it better, namely by not laughing at him or allowing Daario and the others to bully them. She took Quentyn to see the dragons later — which Barristan suggested, it was not her idea — to kind of make up for it (and also to show off the dragons and brag that she's the blood of the dragon, with precisely one inbred-marriage advantage over him in that department), but that doesn't excuse the public humiliation. I think she also wasted a good opportunity to learn more about Westeros and the goings on there.

I think it's going to come back to bite her when she gets to Westeros. The Dornish are probably going to side with Aegon. And Dorne didn't fall to Balerion, so why would it fall to Drogon?

It irked me when, after Quentyn's death, Barristan accused his friends of only coming to Dany because of her dragons. Well, duh. Nobody would be there without the dragons. Dany would not be queen of Meereen or anywhere else without them. She'd probably still be wandering the red waste with a few servants or dead. Considering that Dany herself entered into a political marriage without love, it's a bit rich to accuse Quentyn of seeking a political marriage without love as well.

To sum up: Understand why she rejected him, thought she handled it terribly.

Yes this irritated me aswell. I have never been a fan of Dany and this just made things worse. If she ever wants to return to Westeros she needs Dorne and Quentyn as a Martell is someone you want to have atleast good relations with, if not nescessarily marriage. Barristans reflections that Quentyn is like mud and not fire is rather apt imo. Dany wants fire but needs mud, IE she wants men like Daario etc but need men like Quentyn. She should atleast have made sure too have his support somehow, if for nothing then for the invasion of Westeros.

I just wonder, if Quentyn was some hottie like Daario (well, in Dany's eyes), would she have done the same thing? Or "Wow, this guy really looks like a prince. Maybe I should reconsider this marriage to Hizdahr..."?

I just wonder, if Quentyn was some hottie like Daario (well, in Dany's eyes), would she have done the same thing? Or "Wow, this guy really looks like a prince. Maybe I should reconsider this marriage to Hizdahr..."?

Who's to say. I like to hope that she would have done the same thing, but I honestly don't know.

Dany and Quentyn story did seem silly. She acted rather out of character... maybe Quentyn served as a plot device to release the dragons?

I'm leaning more toward Quentyn acting as a plot device to drive a wedge between Dany and Dorne. Anyone in the city could have sneaked in to release the dragons.

I was and wasn't suprised by her outburst about his looks. Dany is still pretty young, I think that may have just been a reminder, I know I kept forgetting how young she was because she didn't every really behave like a young teen often enough to keep it up there in the fore. I suppose it's just a reminder that she is still young and prone to saying and even doing things that perhaps an older Dany would not do?

Who's to say. I like to hope that she would have done the same thing, but I honestly don't know.

I agree with this though I do think she would have given Quentyn the benefit of the doubt if he had been more handsome, lets not forget she is still young and often acts like it.

I agree with this though I do think she would have given Quentyn the benefit of the doubt if he had been more handsome, lets not forget she is still young and often acts like it.

If Dany had taken up the offer of a hottie Quentyn when she rejected the offer of a plain Quentyn, I'd find her even more reprehensible than I already do. As such, I prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that either way, she'd've stuck to her promise to Hizdahr.

I think she was exasperated more than disrespecting Quenten. She had a large army right outside her walls and for all his talk of 50,000 spears (which they don't have), it would make little difference is they were killed in Mereen overrun by enemies with all of the 3 people they offered to help. The "cuter" comment was thrown in just to show us once again that she is a teenage girl, she thought it would be suicide to drop her marriage to Hizdar and just thought that Quenten wasn't the guy to die for love for (potentially, considering she just met him)

If Dany had taken up the offer of a hottie Quentyn when she rejected the offer of a plain Quentyn, I'd find her even more reprehensible than I already do. As such, I prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that either way, she'd've stuck to her promise to Hizdahr.

Yeah well I do think that Dany has a tendency to act out of heart rather than out of head, so to speak, and her rejecting Hizdahr in favor of a hottie Quentyn wouldnt have surprised me much. Rejecting Quentyn purely out of looks is of course wrong but not unrealistic..

Dany is not a smart person, she got lucky and with the blood magic has hatched dragons. The people who follow her believe she is some kind of walking Deity. She is not a Goddess. She is an ignorant, recovering abused, arrogant teen with the good fortune of winning a genetic pool lottery. Nothing more. She has done nothing right, everything is a dissaster, she is cursed.

I hate to say this, but Quentyn and that whole situation, felt like filler that was thrown in there because Martin was floundering and treading water. It was like he was taking the Dany character grinding, (is that terminology useful communication here?) He certainly doesn't need to be BSing with only 2 books to go, but it seemed like he didn't know where to go and just wanted to waste time with something "dramatic" and flashy.

I hate to say this, but Quentyn and that whole situation, felt like filler that was thrown in there because Martin was floundering and treading water. It was like he was taking the Dany character grinding, (is that terminology useful communication here?) He certainly doesn't need to be BSing with only 2 books to go, but it seemed like he didn't know where to go and just wanted to waste time with something "dramatic" and flashy.

That's kind of how it felt to me too....hopefully, there is more behind it, but not getting my hopes up.

And some people mentioned how she laughed at him. I forgot about that. She wasn't actually laughing at him if I recall correctly, but something about his Frog nickname reminded of her something amusing. Still, inappropriate at best.

That's kind of how it felt to me too....hopefully, there is more behind it, but not getting my hopes up.

And some people mentioned how she laughed at him. I forgot about that. She wasn't actually laughing at him if I recall correctly, but something about his Frog nickname reminded of her something amusing. Still, inappropriate at best.

In that case, perception's reality. His friends perceive that she laughed at him and abetted in his humiliation, and that's how they'll explain it to Doran Martell.

In that case, perception's reality. His friends perceive that she laughed at him and abetted in his humiliation, and that's how they'll explain it to Doran Martell.

Yeah, I remember one of them even emphasized to Barristan at the end about how Dany laughed at Quentyn. It's going to sound really, really bad to Doran. Oopsie.

I think Dany would have at least given more than glancing attention to Quentyn if he'd had the flash and swagger she seems to like...if he'd been more like Daario "the Situation" Naharis (he does seem like he could be a Jersey Shore cast member, doesn't he?).

I don't think she meant to be unkind, and the Quentyn proposal was very presumptuous.

Dany's perceived public dissing of Quentyn is not going to do anything to ease the grief of his family. I agree with the other posters, that careless laugh over her frog prince thought cost her Dorne, big time. And I would not want the Sand Snakes et al as my enemies.

Archived