Dany's Reaction to Quentyn & would Dany have liked Quentyn if he was hot?

teemo

I like the topic because the topic creator is hot!

and you can't blame Dany for not marrying QUentyn,she was already engaged.

I don't think people is blaming her for not marrying Quentyn but for the way she treated him, not taking him serious from the very beginning.

Let's leave Sansa out of this.

Dany was under no pressure to accept his marriage proposal, and I don't think she would have anyway. But what must be pointed out is her utter lack of political sense ! Here stands the next heir to one of the seven kingdoms, her first and probably only ally in Westeros, and all she does is laugh, Not at him, but in a royal court, you make a comment in another language and laugh at it. What is the petitioner going to understand.

Politics is a game of perceptions, and in Dorne's eyes, she is the reason why Quentyn is dead !

Ah Barristan, why can't you be less of a yes man ?

The thing is, Westeros has become rather immaterial to Daenerys, I think, At that point, she was more concerned with her immediate political situation than trying her luck and attempting to conquer a continent half a world away. She was rather narrow-minded with Quentyn, I agree, but I guess we have to grit our teeth and put ourselves in her shoes a little. Unlike us, readers, Daenerys has not been avidly following the politics of Westeros in minute detail for years. The fact that we all hope she would leave Essos and make her way to Westeros already is beside the point, I guess.

Who cares? Would Jaime have treated brienne differently if she was hot? Of course, would sansa have treated tyrion differently if he was not a dwarf ? Definitely. Dany is the same age as sansa and yet can you picture the latter having achieved what Dany has? Personally i think she was just bothered by his gall at turning up and basically informing her she was promised to him in place of her brother to his sister. She is an accomplishedleader who is struggling to keep her people safe and already engaged to someone for purely selfless reasons. . Give the kid a break.

Sansa was a Lady who always remembered her courtesies so I think she would've handled it a wee bit differently. She would have treated Tyrion the same regardless of his stature. What woman would be thrilled about being married off to a man who's family has practically destroyed her own? I think Tyrion understood that though.

I just wonder, if Quentyn was some hottie like Daario (well, in Dany's eyes), would she have done the same thing? Or "Wow, this guy really looks like a prince. Maybe I should reconsider this marriage to Hizdahr..."?

When I say the title of this thread that was the first thing that popped into my head. If Prince Quentyn possesed the same element of danger as Daario or was as comely as Ser Gerris Drinkwater mayhaps things might have gone differently.

I agree. If Dorne were so concerened, why didn't they reach out to Viserys and Dany sooner? I don't blame her one bit. They wait until they find out that she has dragons before they are interested in contacting her. The whole thing was disrespectful. How about coming to her and explaining the situation in Westeros and his father's intentions regarding a marriage with respect that she is a person and not just a vagina with dragons. Also, why would she want to marry a boy? Would Quentyn actually command respect from anyone? I don't think so. He obviously wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, if he really believed that he could just waltz into the dragons pit and take one back to Dorne with him. Dany is not responsible for Quentyn's stupidity, that falls squarely on his not so bright father, Doran.

Did anybody know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she really had dragons? How long has Prince Quentyn been travelling to see her? Did him and his loyal retainers start their quest before rumors or any hard evidence of dragons make it back to Dorne? Marwyn was just leaving Westeros to confirm reports of dragons upon Sam's arrival at the citadel in AFFC. That's probably long after Quentyn left. The only reason Dany gets the amount of respect she does is because of the Dragons. Without them she'd be treated the way Viserys was treated or she'd be dead. And as for her marrying a boy? C'mon he's at least the same age as her if not older. And again people only follow her because they fear the power that the dragons represent not because they fear or respect her in any way.

Let's leave Sansa out of this.

Dany was under no pressure to accept his marriage proposal, and I don't think she would have anyway. But what must be pointed out is her utter lack of political sense ! Here stands the next heir to one of the seven kingdoms, her first and probably only ally in Westeros, and all she does is laugh, Not at him, but in a royal court, you make a comment in another language and laugh at it. What is the petitioner going to understand.

Politics is a game of perceptions, and in Dorne's eyes, she is the reason why Quentyn is dead !

Ah Barristan, why can't you be less of a yes man ?

You're correct she really made a hash of things with Dorne. She may have been not laughing at him, if I were a teenage girl I'd find the moniker Frog silly as well but she totally caused the entire court to make mock of him. And as for Ser Barristan, he's spent his whole life being a yes man. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Dany was in a situation that she was hemmed in by a hostile navy, city surrounded. She married because she felt she had no choice. I agree that her treatment of prince Q was immature but she seemed destined for a "nervous breakdown", which culminated in her jumping into the pit and flying off with Drogon. At this point, this may have been an "awakening" for her and maybe now she will show some maturity and listen to Selmy for once, discover the truth and do something possetive for once.

Ok, I haven't read through this entire thread, so forgive me if someone has made this point before, but Dany actually treated Quentyn with a lot of respect and courtesy as evidenced when they go into the pits to see the dragons. I don't know why the focus is always on that first initial laugh when he made a ridiculous image standing in her court, purporting to be a Prince. It was minor and should be taken as minor. Even Quent got over it and they went on to become friendly with each other. When he is scared of the dragons and recoils, Dany makes a point of not laughing at him and tells him that they scare her too. She rejectshim on the basis that she feels he cannot handle the fire and blood he came for, which as we know, he couldn't. The only reason Quent's friends are upset is because he's dead. Of course Gerris will not be thinking of her kindly. He's upset that his friend has come all this way only to end up dead by Dany's dragons. But the text clearly shows that Dany treated Quentyn as a friend, and their conversation in the pits ends with her asking him to tell her more about Dorne.

Technically, Quentyn isn't the heir to Dorne, Arianne is. Whether Dany knows this or not, I'm not sure, but there we go...

I think perhaps a little much is made out of that initial impression. Yes, Dany's laugh was probably not the best political move she could have made, and I can totally understand why Quentyn's companions looked back on it bitterly and saw it as her laughing at their friend- he was, after all, dead. HOWEVER, he had just turned up in the guise of a sellsword/ servant, before promptly presenting her with the Viserys/ Arianne marriage contract and saying that he was the Prince of Dorne- it was quite an absurd picture. And, whilst he couldn't have known this, she was already engaged to be married.

After the laughter incident, she stops the Meereenese from mocking him, she shows him the dragons, and seems quite friendly with him. Yes, perhaps if he was better looking (or, I suspect more accurately, had more of a dashing, fiery and fierce personality) she might have been more tempted by him, but I think at the end of the day, Dany knew that if she was planning to stay in Meereen, she had to marry Hizdahr to make peace. I can definitely understand why his friends are bitter after his death, and I DO think it might cost her Dorne, if that is what they emphasise when they return, but from the perspective of a reader, I don't see it the same way.

Do I think that perhaps it should have been handled differently? Maybe. But then, this series has a lot of leaders that have come to power very young, and most of them make collosal mistakes in one way or another, I think it's something to be expected.

The issue is, however nicely Dany treated Quentyn in private (like I said, at Barristan's suggestion), his friends only remember her laughing at him and the jokes at his expense. That's what they'll tell Doran about when they take Quentyn's remains back and that's what Doran will have to work with when he considers whether to side with Aegon or Dany. Is it fair? Probably not. But that's what I see happening.

Well, Gerris and Arch are still a long way from Dorne, though. Who knows what could happen to them until they get home?

True.

In the WoW Arianne sample, it does look like Dorne has at least somewhat thrown in with Aegon or is considering doing so. It may come down to who gets to Westeros first.

Dany certainly should have being more respectful. Prince or no Prince, Q made a long journey just to meet her and even if his mission was foolish, he was not to blame.

But she was also right to be pissed at the presumption, that she has to even consider marrying somebody, whom she doesn't care about and whom she doesn't like just because of some parchment.

Where was Doran Martel when she was starving at Red Waste? When she was sold like a slave to Khal Drogo? And even now his son comes only with 3 knights bringing some future promises. She is right when she says that they want her as a tool not a person, so her lashing back is understandable, even if it wasn't smart and not very fair for poor Quenteen.

And I don't think Doran can blame Dany for anything - it was Quenteen's stupid plan to steal the dragons that have got him killed and made a mess for Dany too.

It makes no sense why she spurned Quentyn. He was offering her an army of 50,000 soldiers, and the kingdom of Dorne on a platter, and she laughed in his face. Yet she married a man in order to protect her soldiers from a city that wants nothing to do with her. It feels like she no longer has any interest in returning to Westeros and ruling.

Where was Doran Martel when she was starving at Red Waste? When she was sold like a slave to Khal Drogo? And even now his son comes only with 3 knights bringing some future promises. She is right when she says that they want her as a tool not a person, so her lashing back is understandable, even if it wasn't smart and not very fair for poor Quenteen.

Where was anyone during that period? Where was Barristan? Where were the Tyrells? Where was Tyrion? Where were the ironborn?

The only reason anyone is giving her the time of day is because she has dragons. The sooner she realizes that, the better off she'll be.

She laughed at Quentyn because he was a "frog" who became a "prince", like in the stories. Other than that she treated him wonderfully, and even took him to see her dragons and suggested him as one of the heads. However, he was not suited for fire and blood.

Would she have preferred it if Quentyn was more attractive? Of course. She's the "most beautiful woman in the world", and he's a plain-looking prince without much of a personality. But she didn't reject him based on his appearance; she rejected him because she was about to get married.

I just wonder, if Quentyn was some hottie like Daario (well, in Dany's eyes), would she have done the same thing? Or "Wow, this guy really looks like a prince. Maybe I should reconsider this marriage to Hizdahr..."?

Daario was a total bad foot character that Dany liked. He was the baddest man in Essos and a ruthless cutthroat like her former Husband Khal Drogo. She longed for power, strength and protection and a man like Daario could provide that.

If Quentyn Martell came in looking more like the Red Viper instead of Danny Devito he would have had a better chance, also if he arrived with a real force behind him. That marriage contract would have been annulled, her freedmen and supporters would have been out of town after she crushed the Yunkai'i.

It makes no sense why she spurned Quentyn. He was offering her an army of 50,000 soldiers, and the kingdom of Dorne on a platter, and she laughed in his face. Yet she married a man in order to protect her soldiers from a city that wants nothing to do with her. It feels like she no longer has any interest in returning to Westeros and ruling.

The phrase words are wind has never been truer to apply to what Quentyn was offering Dany. You say 50,000 swords, when it's a fact that Dorne doesn't have anything near that number and Doran admits it to Arianne. As for handing her Dorne on a platter: Aegon is the one who will be feasting from that dish, given he's supposedly Elia's son and all. Dany was not willing to desert Meereen, it has nothing to do with her not being interested in Westeros anymore.

The main problem with Quentyn in Daenerys' eyes was not his looks, but what he (didn't) have to offer her. As fas as she was concerned, he showed up with nothing but the promise of an army half a world away:

Yes, the army is half a world away, but half a world away is where she's supposed to be going. I find it astonishing that she'd be ticked about the Dornish, who are six inches away from a world of trouble themselves, not knowing that her current plan wasn't to come to Westeros and take over but to stay in Meeren indefinitely, and that she'd backed herself into a corner because her dragons were basically useless. It's not like you could read up on it on Google News.

Also, I have to agree that Sansa would have done a better job with Quentyn, though she, like any human, would have been hoping for someone better looking as well. She loathed Tyrion, who makes Quentyn look dead sexy, in part because he was a Lannister (I rather suspect she'd have been almost as disgusted by Jaime), and she still managed to be astonishingly polite to him. On the other hand, Sansa has never had an ounce of power with anyone. She has never had dragons, or an army of Unsullied, or a badass Khal to back her up; her courtesy has not only been her armor, it has been her only weapon as well. Even so, especially at this point, I'm not sure any of those would be enough to make her laugh in someone's face. And this is coming from someone who has wanted to hit Sansa with a brick for almost the entire series.

If Quentyn Martell came in looking more like the Red Viper instead of Danny Devito he would have had a better chance

Lol!

Seriously now, I think Quentyn Martell would have stood a better chance if he had not gone to Meereen himself. O.o Doran could have sent someone more cunning in Quentyn's stead, like, say, one of the Sand Snakes. They would have at least a better chance at passing Daenerys' "dragon test", in which poor Quentyn almost soiled himself.

I find it astonishing that she'd be ticked about the Dornish

I don't think Daenerys was angry with the Dornish. The way I see it, she just treated them with cold skepticism; she evaluated their offer and rejected it, deciding she had more pressing concerns. Remember she was mostly kind to Quentyn, and she even humored him to some extent, when she could have easily sent him packing right away.

Please note that I'm not saying I agree with Daenerys' actions - I'm pretty much playing devil's advocate here.

The issue is, however nicely Dany treated Quentyn in private (like I said, at Barristan's suggestion), his friends only remember her laughing at him and the jokes at his expense. That's what they'll tell Doran about when they take Quentyn's remains back and that's what Doran will have to work with when he considers whether to side with Aegon or Dany. Is it fair? Probably not. But that's what I see happening.

Exactly.

Daenerys did not have bad intentions but that ultimately means very little in the grand scheme of things. I actually think it is a mistake to send the Dornish back home, by themselves, with Quentyn's body. Now Doran is not only going to hear about this diplomatic catastrophe, he is going to hear about it from an extremely bias perspective.

Archived