Personal Favorite Quotes - Merged threads

Water Dancing

“At the edge of the wolfswood, Bran turned in his basket for one last glimpse of the castle that had been his life. Wisps of smoke still rose into the grey sky, but no more than might have risen from Winterfell’s chimneys on a cold autumn afternoon. Soot stains marked some of the arrow loops, and here and there a crack or a missing merlon could be seen in the curtain wall, but it seemed little enough from this distance. Beyond, the tops of the keeps and towers still stood as they had for hundreds of years, and it was hard to tell that the castle had been sacked and burned at all. The stone is strong, Bran told himself, the roots of the trees go deep, and under the ground the Kings of Winter sit their thrones. So long as those remained, Winterfell remained. It was not dead, just broken. Like me, he thought. I’m not dead either.

This passage has been standing out to me lately. Just such an immense amount of strength and determination in one little boy who has endured so much pain and tragedy.

The Hound: There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different.

Sansa: You're awful.

The Hound: I'm honest. It's the world that's awful.

"Tell Father I have gone to make him proud."

"He was always proud of you, Edmure. And he loves you fiercely. Believe that."

"I mean to give him a better reason than mere birth."

"And now it begins."

"No, now it ends."

“The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are.”

“A man can own a woman or a man can own a knife, but no man can own both. Every little girl learns that from her mother.”

“Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died.”

I have a lot more, but I don't see these as often and they just break my heart.

But I can't let a quotes thread go without saying:

“Winter will never come for the likes of us. Should we die in battle, they will surely sing of us, and it’s always summer in the songs. In the songs all knights are gallant, all maids are beautiful, and the sun is always shining.”

And:

“In his chainmail shirt with a sword in his hand, Gendry looked almost a man grown, and dangerous. Hot Pie looked like Hot Pie.”

-restraining myself from posting hundreds more-

"Afraid of being carried off, is she? I hope you never said how big me member is, Jon Snow, that’d frighten any woman. I always wanted me one with a mustache.” Tormund Giantsbane

"You," Tyrion studied him. "You are one judge in three. How could you save me?"

"Not as your judge. As your champion."

"If a man doesn't use his member, it grows smaller and smaller until one day he wants to piss and he cannot find it" Tormund Giantsbane

"Oh, very good." Jaime laughed. "Your wits are quicker than mine, I confess it. When they found me standing over my dead king, I never thought to say, 'No, no, it wasn't me, it was a shadow, a terrible cold shadow." He laughed again. "Tell me true, one kingslayer to another--did the Starks pay you to slit his throat, or was it Stannis? Had Renly spurned you, was that the way of it? Or perhaps your moon's blood was on you. Never give a wench a sword when she's bleeding."

From the most underrated badass Northman, Big Bucket Wull:

"I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night. What mean want does not matter...Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned's little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue."

"She once told me the sky is blue because we live in the eye of a blue-eyed giant named McCumber." "Maybe we do." (From the show, not the books, but this still makes me laugh every time.)

"Fear cuts deeper than swords."

"Words are wind."

Anything that comes out of Tyrion's mouth.

you know, call me stupid, but I never really completely understood what G Lannister meant when she said Tyrion is Tywins son and Jaime isn't, obviously she didn't mean litterally. But I just don't see how she could say that, is Jaime any less like Tywin? maybe she meant the 'new' jaime.

"...and for the first time in a hundred years, the night came alive with the sound of dragons."

i've always thought that passage was so poetic.

"And Jaime screamed."

"you raped her. you murdered her. you killed her children." the whole fight!!!

"do you want to know the horrible truth? i can’t even remember what she looked like. i only know she was the one thing i ever wanted, and someone took her away from me, and seven kingdoms couldn’t fill the hole she left behind." - robert

"there are no men like me. there’s only me." - kingslayer

"i'm honest. it's the world that's awful." - the hound

My book isn't on me, so these are paraphrased, or Wylla's is, anyway.

Lyanna Mormont: "House Mormont knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is STARK."

Wylla Manderly: "I know about the promise. A thousand years before the Conquest, oaths were sworn in the Wolf's Den, before the old gods and the new. When we were friendless and driven from our homes, the wolves took us in and nourished us. This castle is built on land they gave us, and from that moment, we swore that we would always be their men. Stark men!"

“You Westerosi are all the same. You sew some beast upon a scrap of silk, and suddenly you are all lions or dragons or eagles. I can take you to a real lion, my little friend. The prince keeps a pride in his menagerie. Would you like to share a cage with them?”

Thank you, Illiryo. About time someone called out a Westerosi noble for his obsession with his sigil. No, Lannisters, you aren't lions no matter what your sigil is.

Archived