Personal Favorite Quotes - Merged threads

Water Dancing

“Lord Pea Pod. If you were a man, I would kill you for that, but my sword is made of too fine a steel to besmirch with craven’s blood.” He took a drink of ale and wiped his mouth. “Aye, men are dying. More will die before we see Winterfell. What of it? This is war. Men die in war. That is as it should be. As it has always been.”

“Do you want to die, Wull?”

That seemed to amuse the northman. “I want to live forever in a land where summer lasts a thousand years. I want a castle in the clouds where I can look down over the world. I want to be six-and-twenty again. When I was six-and-twenty I could fight all day and fuck all night.

What men want does not matter.

“Winter is almost upon us, boy. And winter is death. I would sooner my men die fighting for the Ned’s little girl than alone and hungry in the snow, weeping tears that freeze upon their cheeks. No one sings songs of men who die like that. As for me, I am old. This will be my last winter. Let me bathe in Bolton blood before I die. I want to feel it spatter across my face when my axe bites deep into a Bolton skull. I want to lick it off my lips and die with the taste of it on my tongue.”

You know thats an amazing quote, so amazing actually, that if you go one page back in this exact thread, you will see I left the same one lol, so I beat you to it haha. No worries, it's such a good one it deserves to be posted twice, people need to know how badass Big Bucket is.

I know this wasn't exactly a quote, more inner monologue from Theon, but it just broke my heart reading it...

"They were all dead now, Jory, old ser Rodrick, Lord Eddard, Harwin and Hullen, Cayn and Desmond and Fat Tom, Alyn with his dreams of knighthood, Mikken who had given him his first real sword. Even Old Nan, like as not. And Robb. Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy's loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him."

I never thought I would be able to shed a tear for Theon, but wow, his pov in adwd was really heartbreaking. I think there he realizes that Winterfell was as much of a home as he ever had, and the Starks were the most family he ever had, and he screwed them over, and he truly feels remorse. I mean it was true, Robb and the Starks where the only family he really ever had. Robb cared about Theon more than Balon Greyjoy obviously did. It's just sad to see him realize finally, obviously when its too late, that it was his home, and the Stark children were the only siblings he ever had.

Its obvious Theon considered Bran and Rickon his brothers as well, to an extent, when you see Rowan call him a kinslayer, he replies "I have done terrible things..Betrayed my own, turned my cloak,ordered the death of men who trusted me...but I am no kinslayer." To which Rowan replies "Stark's boys were never brothers to you, aye, we know." to which it reads..."That was not what Theon had meant" So obviously he thought of them as brothers, at least to an extent.

sorry I got a little sidetracked.

From AFFC

Jaime being certain he has to take arm against tully after his failed negotiation with the blackfish he thought........

" Well, what's one more broken vow to kingslayer? just more shit in the bucket"

You know thats an amazing quote, so amazing actually, that if you go one page back in this exact thread, you will see I left the same one lol, so I beat you to it haha. No worries, it's such a good one it deserves to be posted twice, people need to know how badass Big Bucket is.

I know this wasn't exactly a quote, more inner monologue from Theon, but it just broke my heart reading it...

"They were all dead now, Jory, old ser Rodrick, Lord Eddard, Harwin and Hullen, Cayn and Desmond and Fat Tom, Alyn with his dreams of knighthood, Mikken who had given him his first real sword. Even Old Nan, like as not. And Robb. Robb who had been more a brother to Theon than any son born of Balon Greyjoy's loins. Murdered at the Red Wedding, butchered by the Freys. I should have been with him. Where was I? I should have died with him."

I never thought I would be able to shed a tear for Theon, but wow, his pov in adwd was really heartbreaking. I think there he realizes that Winterfell was as much of a home as he ever had, and the Starks were the most family he ever had, and he screwed them over, and he truly feels remorse. I mean it was true, Robb and the Starks where the only family he really ever had. Robb cared about Theon more than Balon Greyjoy obviously did. It's just sad to see him realize finally, obviously when its too late, that it was his home, and the Stark children were the only siblings he ever had.

Its obvious Theon considered Bran and Rickon his brothers as well, to an extent, when you see Rowan call him a kinslayer, he replies "I have done terrible things..Betrayed my own, turned my cloak,ordered the death of men who trusted me...but I am no kinslayer." To which Rowan replies "Stark's boys were never brothers to you, aye, we know." to which it reads..."That was not what Theon had meant" So obviously he thought of them as brothers, at least to an extent.

sorry I got a little sidetracked.

That quote is awesome, easily my favorite part of ADWD.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light. “No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

The whole TOJ dream is one of my favourite scenes. We have so much tension a man could cut the air with a knife. And the end it's just epic.

So many good ones in here so far. Here's two I didn't see yet, probably my favourite two as well:

"Later, when Arianne had gone, he put down his longaxe and lifted Prince Doran into his bed. "Until the mountain crushed my brother's skull, no Dornishmen had died in this War of the Five Kings," the prince murmured softly, as Hotah pulled a blanket over him. "Tell me, Captain, is that my shame or my glory?"

Doran is by far one of my favourite characters. I see lots of hate for him on these boards and it makes me sad. I think he is misunderstood. The man is a genius who understands the value of life and remains patient despite his own looming death and chronic immense pain. Doran and Stannis for life!

Also,

Rubies flew like drops of blood from the chest of a dying prince, and he sank to his knees in the water and with his last breath murmured a woman's name.

I think this is simply one of the best sentences I have ever had the pleasure to read. This one lone sentence paints a beautiful picture and tells an entire story...It's incredible. If I were an aspiring writer, George R. R. Martin would be my hero (he still kind of is).

Also, the entire Tower of Joy flashback is of similar quality. I can't get enough of this stuff.

For a man who was going to spend the rest of his life a prisoner, Edmure was entirely too pleased with himself.

Jaime could not deny that. “My father is dead as well.”

“May the Father judge him justly.”

Now, there’s an awful prospect.

Only out of the couple of pages read today.

Doran is by far one of my favourite characters. I see lots of hate for him on these boards and it makes me sad. I think he is misunderstood. The man is a genius who understands the value of life and remains patient despite his own looming death and chronic immense pain. Doran and Stannis for life!

I'm with you here, I like Doran's character. I actually find the events at Dorne very interesting.

From ACoK:

“They will garb your brother Robb in silks, satins, and velvets of a hundred different colours, while you live and die in black ringmail. He will wed some beautiful princess and father sons on her. You’ll have no wife, nor will you ever hold a child of your own blood in your arms. Robb will rule, you will serve. Men will call you a crow. Him they’ll call Your Grace. Singers will praise every little thing he does, while your greatest deeds all go unsung. Tell me that none of this troubles you, Jon... and I’ll name you a liar, and know I have the truth of it.”

Jon drew himself up, taut as a bowstring. “And if it did trouble me, what might I do, bastard as I am?”

“What will you do?” Mormont asked. “Bastard as you are?”

“Be troubled,” said Jon, “and keep my vows.

From ACoK:

“They will garb your brother Robb in silks, satins, and velvets of a hundred different colours, while you live and die in black ringmail. He will wed some beautiful princess and father sons on her. "

What amuses me is that at that point in the books, Robb is actually betrothed to a Frey.

You got off easy, Jon.

-Eddards TOJ dream in AGoT, whole thing. Specially part in my sig

-"Lord Roose never says a word, he only looks at me, & all I can think of is that room they have in the Dreadfort, where the Boltons hang the skins of their enemies." - Robb

-"Admit it imp, given a choice between fucking Lollys and fighting the mountain, you'd have your breeches down and cock up before a man could blink" -Bronn

"guilty, so guilty.is that what you wanted to hear?"

"you admit you poisoned the king?"

"nothing of the sort, of joffery's death i am innocent. i am guilty of a more monstrous crime, i was born, i lived, i am guilty of being a dwarf, i confess it."

"have you nothing to say in your defense."

"nothing but this: i did not do it. yet now i wish i had, i wish i had enough poison for you all, you make me sorry that i am not the monster you would have me be, yet there it is, i am innocent, but i will get no justice here. you leave me no choice but to appeal to the gods. i demand trial by battle."

Archived