Which characters you cannot forgive

David C. Hunter

This series is full of gray characters who a first we hate then love and vice versa. There are others we have been on the fence with since the beginning. However, which characters have you read that you cannot forgive for what they did or didn't do?

Melisandre. Sansa. Littlefinger. All Freys involved in the Red Wedding.

And most particularly, Cercei. She could do an about-face and act as the greatest do-gooder for the entire rest of the series, and I still would not have it in me to like her or forgive her for her highly questionable deeds.

Strange though, I'm almost okay with Theon now.

Melisandre. Sansa. Littlefinger. All Freys involved in the Red Wedding.

And most particularly, Cercei. She could do an about-face and act as the greatest do-gooder for the entire rest of the series, and I still would not have it in me to like her or forgive her for her highly questionable deeds.

Strange though, I'm almost okay with Theon now.

For what, being boring?

Why do people single Euron out? For Balon?

He ordered the massacre of the shield islands then gave away the women to all the soldiers and made them serve the men naked while their father watched, Still the most heinous act in the series to me.

For me probably:

Tywin Lannister

Cersei Lannister

Euron Greyjoy

Well, that's a question that is certain to create discord, since each person blames one or another for a certain event. I won't mention the obvious choices (Freys, Boltons, etc), but I'd say I can't forgive:

- Catelyn, for turning Jon into an emo. And for nearly killing Brienne.

- Robb, for being stupid enough to marry Jeyne (though I never really liked him, and I loved what came after his death, so... yeah, I can forgive him for being stupid and dying as a result.)

- Cersei, for making us believe she was much more interesting than she rally was. Or should I blame Sansa for giving us that impression?

- Areo Hotah, for the dull chapters.

- Stannis, for not having killed Victarion when he might have had the chance. Now we have to stand the psycho.

- Eddard Stark, for allowing himself to be killed that quickly.

- Robert, for not giving Stannis Storm's End.

- Renly, for not having supported Stannis (yep, big Stannis fan :laugh: )

- Daenerys, for becoming one of the most unbearable characters in the series.

Honestly, I can forgive a lot of the characters even if I don't condone their actions. Some of the most morally shady characters are my favorites like Theon, Littlefinger, Arya, Jaime.... But a character I can't forgive?

Ramsay Snow. What he did to Theon makes me sick. What he did to Kyra makes me sick. What he did to Jeyne makes me sick. Honestly, the man just makes me sick. There is absolutely nothing Martin could do at this point to make me think.... "Oh okay, maybe he's not that bad."

Viserys - For raising Dany to think that everything is just going to fall into place because their family once ruled.

Littlefinger - For ruining Ned, Cat, Lysa, Sansa, Jeyne, Robin, and others. Even for framing that annoying singer. For taking advantage of Hoster Tully's hospitality. For misappropriating KL funds, for being a terrible adviser to Robert...i could go on. I know there is more.

I think I'm hardest on the characters I love the best.

Tyrion is my favorite, and he cuts his nose off to spite his face so often that the author apparently felt it necessary to actually make it so. I won't bore you with all my "scream at Tyrion" moments.

And poor Arya, who has been through so much, how can I fault her for lacking insight and compassion for the Hound, or for losing touch with her identity and humanity? But I do.

It's because I expect so much from these two, that I feel more passionate about their mistakes, I guess.

Archived