Dealing with values dissonance

The Marquis de Leech

Huh? But of course it’s significant. It seems to be part of our basic psychological make-up. We all do it, as do all humans, as do all other animals. It’s obvious. It’s part of what makes us human. Let’s study the hell out of it.

And understanding this point is exactly why you should not edit or avoid Mark Twain, Astrid Lindgren, Tolkien, or Conan.

See, the value dissonance is entirely between wise and enlightened people like me, who grok human nature, and people who are authoritarian, religious, or censorial liars (while considering themselves to be good and virtuous). It’s absolutely interesting and worth debating, and touches upon issues that are both politically dear to me and scientifically interesting.

But to seriously discuss whether dead authors two generations ago were not well aligned with whatever values we have today is utterly boring, intellectually vapid, and ideologically facile. It’s not because I don’t understand the debate. It’s because it’s childish. I engage neither Creationists, nor cultural reductionists, postmodernists, or Sapir-Whorf defenders, for the same reason. I get their point. I just find it boring.

Happy Ent, most sociobiological studies are absolute bullshit.

Hades' Daughter. It's the Douglas book I was mainly referencing and it's one of the first things that pops into my head when I think of the word "foul".

Oh god, that means it's a recurring theme with her, then. I went and looked up the one I read when I stepped away from the board -- "Threshold." It had glassmakers and a pyramid.

Oh god, that means it's a recurring theme with her, then. I went and looked up the one I read when I stepped away from the board -- "Threshold." It had glassmakers and a pyramid.

One day my country will produce some decent, popular SF/F.

One day.

Oh man, I forgot about Threshold. Threshold is a tame childrens book compared to some of her other works.

Game of Thorns

Admittedly, I didn't fully think on the repercussions of the Nuban character when I read Prince of Thorns.

ETA: Put quote in quote box.

I read this piece, and it was good, bringing to light all of the little things that had bothered me about the book and some new ones as well. Reasoned, articulate approach. Thanks for this.

Oh man, I forgot about Threshold. Threshold is a tame childrens book compared to some of her other works.

Yikes. And yet...I'm not surprised. Is "Nameless Day" safe? I think I still own that one.

One day.

I'm already pretty grateful for Markus Zusak and Margo Lanagan, if that helps. (Not to mention Cate Blanchett; I'm fudging categories like crazy in this post, yes, but THANK YOU.)

One day.

It is mostly either/or at the moment. Garth Nix is perhaps the closest in being both decent and relatively popular.

It is mostly either/or at the moment. Garth Nix is perhaps the closest in being both decent and relatively popular.

I've only read Sabriel which I'd class as passable, not decent, and stuck in the YA-ish mould that Australian publishers appear to demand for SF/F writers.

Archived