Seige of Storms End + confusion

Murder of Crows

I was a little confused as to why Renly wasn't behind the walls of Storms End when Stannis sailed to take it. Where did Renly come from to battle Stannis and why did he not enter the Castle with his army. Was this an honor thing (mmeeting the foe in the field) or was this because Stannis had blocked him from entering it?

I would have to check, but as I recall it it was not an honor thing; Renly simply decided to advance with his cavalry ("horse") without his infantry ("foot") in order to reach Stannis as soon as possible.

Catelyn thinks to herself that it isn't a very wise choice; it made his troops remarkably short on options, having to either fight or starve (since the cavalry doesn't bring enough food to support itself), IIRC.

I would have to check, but as I recall it it was not an honor thing; Renly simply decided to advance with his cavalry ("horse") without his infantry ("foot") in order to reach Stannis as soon as possible.

Catelyn thinks to herself that it isn't a very wise choice; it made his troops remarkably short on options, having to either fight or starve (since the cavalry doesn't bring enough food to support itself), IIRC.

Renly only did that because he was certain he could win the fight quickly (because he knew Stannis' numbers where fewer than his) and rejoin his infantry troops, saving time for a quicker approach to King's Landing....

i think he just wanted to talk Stannis out of the fight and make him join him.

Do you really think Renly thought that his stubborn brother (who was the right heir after all) would change his mind?

And if so how did he plan to make him join him? By mocking him and telling him about the size of his army?

I don't believe it ever crossed Renly's mind to convince Stannis, after all if Stannis died he would be the true heir...

But that's only my personal opinion after all :cheers:

• 1 year later...

Renly was a little over confident as he had the people's love, army and did not think anyone could and would seige Storm's End hat is why he did not leave a very big garrison. Renly was at Bitterbridge when Catelyn arrived and he was explaining to her and showing her his vast army that could take on anything. Renly obviously did not think Stannis would attack Storm's End and when he did Renly wanted to get there quick and that is why he only took his horse and thought he could take it back quickly. Stannis had a small number, but they had the castle surrounded by sea and Land and there was only a small garrison at Storm's End. Renly could not get to Storm's End w/o going through Stannis first. Catelyn deducted that they would have to fight quickly because they were cut off from their foot the larger part of his army and their supply train. Renly deduced that as well. Stannis thought incorrectly that Renly would bring his whole host and when Renly died those numbers would be under his command. Renly's foot being in Bitterbridge fell under Tyrell control and thus Lannister and fought Stannis later.

Archived