The Wise Man's Fear VII (Spoilers and speculation)

jumbles

Special emphasis on IF! It is irrelevant whether you want to read about WW2 or not. That was just an Analogy referring to a story whose ending is clearly known.

I am not retarded, I know what an analogy is, and you could have said anything instead of WW2, ancient egypt, rome, or whatever, and your post would still be irrelevant because you can not compare history books with fantasy... And like I said it depends on the kind of book it is. If we are talking about any history book, if I know what happened in broad stroke, I dont read it. And about fantasy I already said what i think.

I am not retarded, I know what an analogy is, and you could have said anything instead of WW2, ancient egypt, rome, or whatever, and your post would still be useless because you can not compare history books with fantasy... And like I said it depends on the kind of book it is. If we are talking about any history book, if I know what happened in broad stroke, I dont read it. And about fantasy I already said what i think.

I never implied that you were. I was clearing it up so as to ensure that I didn't make a mistake. And we can compare History to Fantast, as both share many similar traits. Though the primary differences are, 1) Presence of non earthly creatures & phenomenon. (2)Factual description to a convincing plot line.

But KKC is more similar to history than most other fantasy books, hence my analogy.

But in order to prevent this from becoming an argument lets end it here and agree to disagree.

Does anybody have any thoughts on Scarpi's likely role in book three?

I just brushed him off as a storyteller (never to appear again), but when I reread book one I noticed that the chronicler referred to him (As Kvothe's friend, I believe) when talking about how he found Kvothe.

Add that to Kvothe's proclaimation that he burned down Trebon(sp?) and do we have a daring rescue attempt in the offing?

I just brushed him off as a storyteller (never to appear again), but when I reread book one I noticed that the chronicler referred to him (As Kvothe's friend, I believe) when talking about how he found Kvothe.

Add that to Kvothe's proclaimation that he burned down Trebon(sp?) and do we have a daring rescue attempt in the offing?

Can't guess how they will meet again or anything.

As for burning Trebon, I thought he considers himself responsible for the Draccus trying to burn down the town (primarily because he himself fed it so much Denner Resin)

(Kinda surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet..)

In the draft immediately preceding the one we got and the ARCs folks received, chapter one of NotW involved Skapri and Chronicler hearing the rumors Bast was spreading and Chronicler setting off on his errand to check them out.

Chronicler mentions he's supposed to meet up with Skarpi in Baeden-Bryt, a meeting he's not really capable of making if he stays to hear Kvothe's story.

Looking back through this thread, you'll find a link to another discussion that describes a theory that the "sof and painless blanket of his sleep" Haliax urged Cinder to send Kvothe to was not a death threat but a tumble into his sleeping mind. The theory suggests that Skarpi named Kvothe during that last encounter in Tarbean and woke him back up, thus explaining the stark change in behavior we see. Please don't take me to task on it. I think it's the best idea anyone's come up with, but you're better off familiarizing yourself with the original before picking at it.

In this forum, Skarpi's been considered as a namer, an Amyr, as one of Selitos's Amyr, as nothing but a storyteller and rumor monger, as Kvothe puts it, and as Aleph. YMMV.

There's a pretty good chance he'll show up at the end of Day 3. :dunno:

FYI: I was messing about with the Tam thing. Tam's actually one of Trapis's orphans, so Trapis obviously wanted Kvothe dead. Kvothe's visit at the end of WMF was an implicit threat.

yeah, lets race this thread to oblivion...

Other people who could have ordered that hit in Imre:

Denna

Josn

Meluan Lackless

Baron Greyfallow

that dude that wanted to make the troupe play in a field and Kvothe's dad made him let them use the town hall

He already burned down Trebon while fighting the draccus in NotW.

And obviously Manet ordered the hit on Kvothe. Did you see how pissed he was when Kvothe misplayed his hand in corners? So much so that he asked him the same question in the tavern AND in admissions. And then travelled back in time to the first book to order the hit...

I agree in this kind of book even if you know how it will end, the why is important, but there are better ways of letting us know he will die, then bludgeoning us on the head with it every chance he gets... Like I said, I think that would be bad writing... And besides, we see a change for the better at the end of book 2 (he starts practicing the Ketan), so that would imply that he would go back to how he was... I mean the end of day 3 is probably the end of the story he is telling Chronicler, and it would be kinda lame if he finished the story, someone came in and killed him. But thats just what I think...

I agree, a depressing ending would suck.

I understand that it would be unrealistic for the good guys to always win,get the girl, etc...but I hate the new trend of things going terribly wrong for the "good guys".

I don't want Rothfuss to turn into another GRRM.

Archived