Would You Be An Atheist in Westeros?

Fearsome Fred

... or would you worship one of the religions mentioned so far in the books?

The Seven?

The Old Gods?

Rh'llor?

The Great Other?

The Great Shepherd?

Any other?

A similar question was asked in the GENERAL section of this forum, and some curious patterns emerged. I am curious if a similar pattern will be found among those who have finished GAME OF THRONES, but have not yet finished CLASH OF KINGS or STORM OF SWORDS.

Note, I am also, I admit, curious about corresponding RL religious beliefs. But of course, no-one need discuss that if they don't feel so inclined.

I'm an atheist in real life, but I think every person in Westeros or Essos is grown up with a specific religion, I don't think that there are any atheists at all. But if I had to pick a religion, I'd go for the Old Gods or the Seven.

I'm an atheist in real life, but I think every person in Westeros or Essos is grown up with a specific religion, I don't think that there are any atheists at all. But if I had to pick a religion, I'd go for the Old Gods or the Seven.

You have lots of company. A huge preponderance of atheists/agnostics showed up in the general section. I was wondering if it was equally true of early readers.

I am Christian myself ... and in a Westeros context would probably be partial to the Seven.

The old gods seem cool enough in my book.

I dont like the seven cause there are useless gods in there. the crone? come on...

I dont know why, but i perceive Rh'llor as a god who real life satanists would like. Seems obscure and a little rebellious somehow.

I'm an atheist too but i would go for the old gods or Rh'llor seeming to be the most awsome ones. I dont believe the Seven have any use just to be something to believe in as for the other gods u have the warging and looking through the heart trees as bran does and with Rh'llor the visions in fire, shadow 'baby' and the Berric Dondarion stuff... so they show to have some use for their worshippers :P

I am also an atheist IRL , although my family raised me in a christian environment, when I was about 15 I changed my mind :dunno:

But in Westeros... I beelieve if I was raised in the North, the old gods would be my religion. :bowdown:

If I was raised in the South, no way I would fall for the Seven... I detest the Septons with their fancy temples and all :ack: ... I guess I would end up an atheist after all!!!

I'm an atheist in real life, but for Westeros, The Old Gods seem cool enough, I never liked the Seven a lot, it seems to me that the trees with faces helped a lot more, and the baby shadow still creeps me out a bit.

The most practical religion in the series at this point is that of the God Rh'llor. It may seem wicked but there is a greater good that drives it despite the mania. It is a very powerful religion.

The Seven hold no more power than you choose to give them in your heart and when you really need them all that is left is the Stranger.

The Old Gods are good if you want that connected to nature vibe.

The Drowned God is good if you want to be a hardass marine type with CPR skills and possibly brain damage!

The Great Shepard is probably like being part of a hippy commune.

Is the Great Other even an option? I don't think wights should get the vote.

Ser Malthred Stark hit the nail on the head. Geography plays a huge role in religion.

I'm an atheist in real life too. I could identify myself mostly with the Old Gods in Westeros, being a nature friend. And I'm pretty sure, there are people, who don't believe in the gods in the books, but I would have to look that up.

Old Gods for me as well. I'm an atheist in real life, but I still absolutely love churches, mainly for the solitude. And as with churches, I love the idea of a godswood. Quiet, contemplative, relaxing; but at the same time filled with a distinctive seriousness and sense of power. I could see myself spending a lot of time lurking between those weirwoods.

Old Gods for me as well. I'm an atheist in real life, but I still absolutely love churches, mainly for the solitude. And as with churches, I love the idea of a godswood. Quiet, contemplative, relaxing; but at the same time filled with a distinctive seriousness and sense of power. I could see myself spending a lot of time lurking between those weirwoods.

Completely agree with this post. I wouldn't pray, it isn't in my nature, by I like the idea of sitting and contemplating surrounded by nature.

Completely agree with this post. I wouldn't pray, it isn't in my nature, by I like the idea of sitting and contemplating surrounded by nature.

You may have already read it, but the poem Church Going by Philip Larkin beautifully describes that feeling of contemplation without the religiosity. Never fails to move me.

I'm Agnostic, but I'd probably go old gods. Like others have mentioned I also enjoy churches (as well as libraries and bookstores) for the ambience if not for any spiritual reason. I do enjoy talking to myself when in quiet places, and imagine the Weirwoods would help make me feel less crazy lol. The godswood in Winterfell in the Series though looked like the most relaxing place ever. Nice place to reset, shrug off some stress and such before getting back to the grind.

Archived