Would You Be An Atheist in Westeros?

Fearsome Fred

I'd be an atheist in westeros too, assuming the mostly likely scenario in that i'd be among the 99.9%, living at the whims of the powerful.

The old gods... I'm not so sure they're as good as everyone here seems to think. We'll see in the next couple of books I imagine.

I'm with the Maesters! Take down the dragons, destroy all magic!

Being an atheist in real life, I'd either be one in Westeros too, or believe in the Old Gods. I just like the idea of using woods as a place of prayer or meditation. I enjoy the quietness of woods in RL too, so I'd probably wouldn't have much trouble just leaning against a tree and connecting with whatever spirits would be out there, or just listening to the forest making ,well,forest sounds.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a Pagan in RL and I would probably go for the old gods. The Seven are too structured, too... clergy-ish, and not very believable. I could more easily believe in spirits that communicate through white trees, hundreds of years old, with red faces on them. I dunno why.

And there are for sure atheists in Westeros, but I don't think most of them admit to it. The only one I think of off the top of my head to flat-out say "There are no gods" was The Hound.

I don't think you'd have many difficulties being an atheist in Martinworld, because as far as we've seen, religion is not enforced much, and the tolerance seems quite high. Nothing like the stereotypical Dark Ages with a super-powerful Catholic Church Europe had.

Concerning the question which religion I'd have if I were there...if I got picked up here and dropped there, I'd probably remain an atheist, but declare to follow the old gods if I had to, for social reasons. (and that kind of animism/religion is the closest kind I could relate to)

If I had been born there, I'd probably have the religion of the region I was raised in, but if I had the same critical mindset as now, and received no tangible proof of the existence of the gods of my region or any else, I'd probably participate as little in any religious actions as I could get away with.

I'm an atheist in real life, but the religion I would identify most with would be the old gods, this religion seems the most benign compared to the rest.

I always seen

Old Gods = Paganism

The Seven = Roman Catholicism

Rh'llar = Evangelical Protestantism

I guess you could probably call me an Agnostic. I would probably choose either the Old Gods because they just seem so much more peaceful and natural or R'hllor because

those that follow have some pretty insane powers!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived