Would You Be An Atheist in Westeros?

Fearsome Fred

Old Gods or R'hllor for me! I like the Old Gods for the same reasons everyone has already mentioned (solitude,nature etc). I also find the religion of the Lord of Light quite amusing as it has some similarities with Christianity (I am Orthodox myself) even though the red priests and their sacrifices freak me out sometimes :laugh:

How about "Would you use logic in Westeros?" If miracles happen and a god demonstrably performs them, then you have to believe in it.

Not true, since there is no proof that a 'god' is performing anything. In a place with Others, dragons, and other 'magical aspects' dark magic could also be responsible for these miracles. I find it odd that Stannis is weakened by making 'shadow babies' if the Red God is so powerful.

if i 'm a person of westeros i'd prey for the old gods. i don't think be so fanatic as who prey r'holl and so primitive as who prey the great sheperd. sincerely , i dont'like the seven because all prey the seven, while the old god are more essay and protectiv . i like the idea prey in front of a tree with a face.

• 2 weeks later...

Atheist here, I would choose the Old Gods. It seems simple somewhat and peaceful and the other people don't seem to give them too much crap since the worshippers of the Old gods mind their own business most of the time. It just seems like it would be a good choice since they seem to be accepted in Westeros.

im a theist and if i were living in westeros, i'd probably worship whatever the place i end up in worship. i would love to live in the free cities braavos perhaps, because all gods are honored there then i can choose carerfully, but i'll mostly go for the many-faced god (AKA the stranger) or R'hllor,the red god. its confusing a little because these religons are similar i think. like the seven includes the stranger which is worshipped by the faceless men and R'hllor sounds like the stranger! "It holds a very black-and-white view of the world.""the House of Black and White is the temple of the Many-Faced God."-A Wiki of Ice and Fire

Are they the same thing? i dunooo...

• 11 months later...

I would probably go for Seven. The only God(s) in Westeros that has enough dignity to not use any cheap tricks. Really what's cool in burning innocent birds, merging mind with trees or producing some damphair assholes.

Being atheist? Hell, I'm Roman Catholic in RW, so I suppose that in world of watching trees, shadow assasin babies, and other weird stuff atheism isn't really an option. Of course you can be indifferent, say all gods are assholes, and do not worship them, but is that an atheism? There is difference I suppose between being an anarchist and denying existence of Iron Throne...

Is the Great Other even an option?

Death is always an option.

I'm with the Maesters! Take down the dragons, destroy all magic!

And worship Seven.

Nothing like the stereotypical Dark Ages with a super-powerful Catholic Church Europe had.

I would say Westeros situation is in many aspects closer to real Dark Ages than those stereotypes.

I always seen

Old Gods = Paganism

The Seven = Roman Catholicism

Rh'llar = Evangelical Protestantism

Lord of Light is definitely taken from zoroastrianism, ancient Persian religion, fond of fire and all. The strict dualism of their theology is extremely similar.

Just wait until the old gods start demanding blood sacrifices. Then I'd like to see how all of you answer this question.

What's exactly wrong with bleeding unbelievers under our holy trees and decorating branches with their intestines?

It's strange how the particular flavor of patriarchy in Westeros seems like that of medieval Europe, when most of their religions are not patriarchical at all. I don't know what to make of that.

Old gods are gods of nature in those cold, brutal, non-wiccan way. I suppose they don't care aboout patriarchy as such. It just goes with natural way of harsh, northern life.

Seven have female aspects, but they also limit women possibilities and social roles.

And after all the most important and purest human being according to my faith was Mary, Mother of God. It doesn't really changed social reality.

The seven are i god exemplified in seven forms, which is a Hindu concept, altough GRRM meant for it to be based of of Catholicism.

Well the structures of the Faith are obviously based on Catholicism (but after all Hindu also had a concept of clergy I suppose). But the God itself, I suppose it's closer to your conception of avatars or aspects, than to our conception of Holy Trinity.

I don't like the term "atheist" since mankind has existed for many thousands years compared to the current mainstream religions... but in Westeros I would definitely be a proud atheist!!! Maybe enven and anti-theist!!!

:box:

• 5 months later...

Archived