March 2012 Reads

mashiara

I have finished Midnight Tides [The Malazan Book of the Fallen #5] by Steven Erickson

It was somewhat disappointing but at the same time a good read. How so?

Disappointing in a sense that there were next to none of the characters I love from the previous books. Reading this book was almost like reading a stand alone. However, as a stand alone it was quite good - 8/10.

After Midnight Tides I have been advised to read Night of Knives by Ian Cameron Esslemont.

Thus I started it yesterday.

Still not finished the White Crow omnibus by Mary Gentle, haven't had much time to read lately. Only 20 pages to go now though.

Going to read How to Live Safely in a Science-Fictional Universe (or something to that extent, anyway), next.

Finished Kim Newman's Anno Dracula. It's a bit thin on plot, but the alternate Victorian Britain setting with Dracula as the Prince Consort is awesome and really fun to explore. I also loved spotting the many references to characters from other literature and movies.

I'm now reading Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix Plus, which includes the novel and all the Shaper/Mechanist short stories.

I am reading the Ramayana (The abridged version by RK Narayan) for a class and I wish Queen Cersei would read it with me and make snarky comments about it:P

I have started reading Lolita... It makes me feel unclean

So does anyone else who has read Lolita agree with the sentiments of this essay

http://books.google....20pratt&f=false

that actually Headmistress Pratt is actually right, and the reason Humbert dislikes her is that she focuses on moral education, where as Humbert, who is all about beautiful words (aka pure knowledge, which is knowledge without morals or practicality), has reason to be deeply scared about moral education.

Having said that, much as Humbert complains about Lolita's supposed banality and ignorance, he needs her to remain that way in order for her to remain his slave. So for this reason he is glad to place Lolita there.

When Headmistress Pratt, notices that Delores has poor grades, she rightly attributes it to sex, though then gets bogged down in Freudian psycho-babble, she thus suggests

that Delores to take part in the school play, which enables Delores to form friends and distance herself from Humbert.

A few weeks at the school enables Headmistress Pratt to understand Delores better than a year on the road does for Humbert Humbert (which goes back to the idea that Humbert is a monster of incuriousity).

I have finished Midnight Tides [The Malazan Book of the Fallen #5] by Steven Erickson

It was somewhat disappointing but at the same time a good read. How so?

Disappointing in a sense that there were next to none of the characters I love from the previous books. Reading this book was almost like reading a stand alone. However, as a stand alone it was quite good - 8/10.

I'm wrapping this up too and I should write some sort of review in the next few days. Despite for some readers this is one of the best volumes and I have no problem at all with the new cast, I still put this fifth volume behind all previous three, and better only of GotM. The main reason is that the prose has been more barren than usual and there are some scenes that needed some ramp up but didn't get it.

With the whole new context added it felt too undercooked, even if all the significant structures and good bits are there.

I finished my re-read of The Great Hunt. I think I like it more than the tEotW as it has a more original storyline and it sets the stage for so many things that pop up later in the books (ie prophecies, Rand's women, Seanchan, Birgitte, Black Ajah ect).

I find the humour devoid (I don't find Mat funny at all) in the series and I have a craving to read to read something funny next so James Herriot All Creatures Great and Small is up next.

I read The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides, which oddly enough was recommended by a scientist I met at a meeting, who had been consulted for technical, non-plot important details. He didn't know what the book was about, only that he was in the acknowledgments. The book is about a love triangle, the story of one young woman and two young men, in college flashbacks and the year after. It follows, quite self-consciously, the plot of a Victorian or Georgian novel, which ends in the marriage of the heroine. The story is beside the point (though it's pretty cute, in some ways, the love triangle reminded me of Jane Eyre, in that one of the suitors goes to India on a spiritual quest). More importantly, the book is shockingly perceptive and well-researched in a wide variety of areas, including contemporary English/cultural theory, biology, postmodern philosophy, religious studies, and especially manic depression. Or maybe it just looks good next to most genre fiction ;). Now I loved Eugenides MIddlesex, and this isn't nearly as amazing, but if you've been curious, it's definitely worth your while.

I also picked up It Can't Happen Here, by Sinclair Lewis, 1935. The year is pretty important. It's an alternate history of the United States detailing the rise and rule of a fascist government in the late 1930s. Lewis had just experienced the rise of Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini and others on the world stage, and set out to show how fascism could plausibly arise under the banner of American patriotism, exceptionalism, and of course, Christianity. It's very prescient - every totalitarian regime over the next 80 years seems to have followed this same playbook, deviating remarkably little. It's also more than a little creepy reading this book and hearing the same sort of populist, dangerous rhetoric used by politicians today (my bias would say, mainly among certain GOP candidates). I would like to think it can't happen here....

Bellis, I'm really glad you liked The Marriage Plot. It's one of the books I'm looking forward to, like you I found Middlesex to be amazing. I'm waiting for the paperback version to come out, whenever that will be.

I'm almost, almost done with Kate Mosse's Labyrinth. Something like 50 pages to go and I have no idea how long it will take me, this book just did not draw me in at all and I've had to force myself to keep reading. Any excuse to put it down would do, even changing dirty diapers -not that I have the option to ignore those. I don't know what I was hoping for with this book since it's not the first of its kind I've read. At first I at least enjoyed the parts that took place in the past but that wore off quickly and I was just reading to get to the end.

Finished Kim Newman's Anno Dracula. It's a bit thin on plot, but the alternate Victorian Britain setting with Dracula as the Prince Consort is awesome and really fun to explore. I also loved spotting the many references to characters from other literature and movies.

I'm now reading Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix Plus, which includes the novel and all the Shaper/Mechanist short stories.

You should get the rest of the AD series if you can get your hands on the books. Most of them are out of print, but you can find them you local used bookstores, or libraries. Well worth the time spent on finding them. They are a great continuation to the AD story. Can't wait till the next book comes out.

Reading Bernard Cornwells Saxon chronicles after seeing them recomended many times here enjoying the hell out of them super simply and pulpy but just straight up fun.

Just started Del Toro's the strain not a fan of vampire usually but seemed intriguing

On the non fiction side I am working my way through Coming Part by Charles Murray, and 1493 by Charles C man both of which I am enjoying so far. The past is a foreign country and its fascinating and shocking how foreign when someone gives you and in depth picture of change.

Finished A Madness of Angels and The Good Fairies of New York today. Love them both, though GFONY is a reread. Continuing the one on Kindle, on in hard copy trend, I am starting the second Eli Monpress book on the Kindle. And I am doing my first ever reread of Game of Thrones. Maybe once it is done I will have some clue what people are talking bout on the book forums here.

You should get the rest of the AD series if you can get your hands on the books. Most of them are out of print, but you can find them you local used bookstores, or libraries. Well worth the time spent on finding them. They are a great continuation to the AD story. Can't wait till the next book comes out.

Actually, Titan Books is gradually republishing the series. The second one, The Bloody Red Baron, is scheduled for a release next month. I've got the first novel of the series in the Titan Books edition and it's got tons of extra content. Worth checking out even if you already own an older edition.

Reading Bernard Cornwells Saxon chronicles after seeing them recomended many times here enjoying the hell out of them super simply and pulpy but just straight up fun.

Just started Del Toro's the strain not a fan of vampire usually but seemed intriguing

On the non fiction side I am working my way through Coming Part by Charles Murray, and 1493 by Charles C man both of which I am enjoying so far. The past is a foreign country and its fascinating and shocking how foreign when someone gives you and in depth picture of change.

If you like the Saxon books(which you better :P) Conwell's Warlord Trilogy is even better. Hell I'd put that trilogy in my top 5 of all time.

Actually, Titan Books is gradually republishing the series. The second one, The Bloody Red Baron, is scheduled for a release next month. I've got the first novel of the series in the Titan Books edition and it's got tons of extra content. Worth checking out even if you already own an older edition.

And it has a fantastic cover.

Archived