The secret meaning of "Hodor"

Howling Mad

I literally just said Hodor ten times fast before I started this post to see what it sounds like. It sounds like "Other" to me. Old Nan tells stories of Others to the Stark kids all the time and Walder is her own grandson who must have been around to hear tons of stories in his own childhood as well as present day. There's plenty of indication that Hodor can comprehend complex language given how he carries out very specific orders from Bran. Maybe some part of these stories gets through to him. How much could range from all of it to perhaps just the fact that they're supposed to be scary, based on the reactions of the other listeners and the facial cues and voice of the storyteller.

Old Nan indicates that there was a point in time during which Walder did not say Hodor, and then he started saying Hodor. Walder basically has free reign of the castle. His movements aren't restricted. When he wants to take a dip in the hot springs, he does. He wanders around and amuses himself when he's not needed for a task. Maybe at one point he wandered into the Winterfell crypts and saw something in there that not only made him start saying "Hodor" but also made him frightened to go back in the crypts. When Bran dreams of Ned down there, he has to get Osha to carry him because Hodor is too scared.

So that's my theory. "Hodor" is Walder trying to say Other.

Ooh, that gave me goosebumps. As I was reading your post I said "hodor" aloud a few times, then immediately looked out the darkened window behind my back...eep. Solid theory too!

Hodor is obviously just Hodor trying to be honourable like the Starks and getting the word wrong. Every time I see the American spelling of honour I read Hodor now, even if it's in a serious context, and I burst out laughing. GRRM has taken over my life. :lol:

A bit of free flowing consciousness (otherwise known as a crackpot theory):-

What about Hot Door? Maybe he was roaming around the Winterfell crypts when he was young, went down to the deepest crypts, found a 'hot door' (i.e. door that was very hot), opened it, discovered the hibernating dragon down there (that either makes the hot springs hot or enjoys the warmth from the hot springs), disturbed it so it roared and spat some flame (which is why he hates thunderstorms) and ran away, forever traumatised but still trying to warn/tell people about the 'hot door'. :eek:

Maybe Hodor saying Hodor all the time provides comic relief now, and seems unimportant, but Bran's been warging Hodor more and more as the story progresses. This is a complete violation of Hodor's person and autonomy, but maybe it'll allow Bran to eventually find out why Hodor is always Hodoring and what it means. If Hodor is still suffering from previous trauma from an Other encounter, Bran could simultaneously glean valuable information and redeem himself by calming and helping Hodor from the inside. Or you know, he could just find valuable Other information that helps him do world saving stuff, THROUGH the violation of Hodor, and we can all ruminate on the ends and means moral dilemma. Bran's story arc is very Other and Children heavy. If Hodor means anything, Bran's going to be the one to find out and it'll have something to do with Others.

Of course, it doesn't seem like warging really works that way. The skinchanger just experiences his other skin's present and doesn't seem to have access to the possessed creature's past. But then, Bran is going to be the last greenseer and the greatest of them all, and he already transcends time through weirwoods, so who knows what he'll be able to do

My first read through GoT I was struck with how Hodor resembled a beast of burden, making him a simple plot device.

Hodor is somewhat similar to Other, when spoken by a simple minded person.

I've been thinking that Hodor was more than just a word. My friends and I say it a lot as jokes because it's hilarious but it's def not just something insignificant. Magic or no, it's important. I feel it in my bones!

I really like the theory someone posted about the word coming to be when Hodor/Walder ventured into the Winterfell crypts. I really do.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty early on when I was reading the series, I started to think there might be something going on with Hodor. I don't think it's a magic word or anything, but there's a story behind it.

Like RevengeOfTheStarks, I think that Hodor probably witnessed something that scared him and it might have something to do with Others. Maybe even that incident is the reason he became simple-minded. As far as I know, any real disability doesn't cause a person to just be able to speak one word while he is still able to understand what is spoken to him, so it might be something magically-induced or caused by severe trauma.

I recall Jon saying something in ADWD to the effect of giants being twice as big and twice as strong as Hodor, with half the wits. Is this foreshadowing?

The reason I say so is because the giant is able to communicate in the old tongue, as well as through a few words in the common. As Hodor can only say one word, having half the wits of Hodor may mean something bigger.

Archived