GreenHand

Marwin: "I have traveled far and braved many perils to reach you. I'm here to advise you that you need to get your ass back to Westeros. I have so much to tell you about the situation over there while we are on the way so that when we get there you will be able to actually do something productive. We must leave now."

Dany: "Yea, whatever. You know how you can help me?. . . You can just stay here and rule over Meereen While I continue forward on my journey without you. I don't like you because you are a stranger anyway."

Marwyn: "So you mean to depart to Westeros now? Surely you will need my knowledge and connections. You will find me quite useful."

Dany: "Naw, I actually need to go back to Qarth; I think I left my wallet there . . . See ya."

If ADWD had anything to show us about Meereen and Daenerys, it was that the first gets to shape the second, not the other way around.

Daenerys (and Barristan) can't even sort out loyalties among Shavepate, Hizdahr and the Green Grace. They have no idea about what their actual connections and goals are. How did Hizdahr breed his peace with the Harpies? What roles did the other two have in it? Why trust without question a man (the Shavepate) that is so obviously using them as catspaws?

Daenerys will have no role of her choice in shaping the future of the city. At best, she will have a nice ceremony of transition and farewells.

If ADWD had anything to show us about Meereen and Daenerys, it was that the first gets to shape the second, not the other way around.

This is a layered and penetrating truth. But many things have been impacting Daenerys. She was a proto-pattern as a girl and now she's being forged in convoluted ways.

It is because of this, as you say, that the Daenerys will look upon Meereen and make her final move there is not the Daenerys that took Astapor or the Daenerys that first entered Meereen, nor perhaps even the same Daenerys that floundered in much ADWD. I for one think that her trip back into the Dothraki sea has knocked her and put her on a different direction. Her dragons are no longer "growing up", and she has the means and opportunity to bring vengeance to Maggo, and she has contemplated her methods and attitudes.

Let us not forget that a returning Daenerys will be forced into making some aggressive moves since Barristan has/will SHATTER her mishappen, sickly peace in the opening of TWOW.

Personally I think that she is, in point of fact, sick of Meereen and will leave at the soonest indication that she can resolve something in Meereen. She needs to leave something behind in Meereen. She will push them one way or the other

They have no idea about what their actual connections and goals are.

Perhaps we should rather be asking, how will pushing them into revealing they true intents? ...in light of Dany's newfound (ruthless?) resolve on the desolate plains.

• 3 weeks later...

i am beginning to wonder if she will ever leave, all i know is if and when she does she better take her unsullied and baristtan with her, since i know aegon already has the gold company which are kinda more fearsome and more than likely other strong allies. Still i just have the feeling the cities are doomed for some reason

i am beginning to wonder if she will ever leave, all i know is if and when she does she better take her unsullied and baristtan with her,

I think it's pretty certain she will. Martin knows people don't love her stuck in Mereen.

With the Iron Fleet at Slaver's Bay, it seems like all the pieces to get Daenerys, Barristan, Tyrion, the Unsullied, Dothraki, and dragons back to Westeros.

With the Iron Fleet at Slaver's Bay, it seems like all the pieces to get Daenerys, Barristan, Tyrion, the Unsullied, Dothraki, and dragons back to Westeros.

I think that Dany showing up at Westerors with a ridiculously large army of Unsullied, sellswords, freedmen and Dothraki would be way too cartoony. I'm not opposed to Dany making it to Westeros but not in such a mary sue way as rocking up with the entire might of the east at her back.

I think that Dany showing up at Westerors with a ridiculously large army of Unsullied, sellswords, freedmen and Dothraki would be way too cartoony. I'm not opposed to Dany making it to Westeros but not in such a mary sue way as rocking up with the entire might of the east at her back.

I'm not expecting her to pop up like Stannis at the wall, her forces all in one piece having made the journey really quickly, I just think the Iron Fleet facilitates her leaving Mereen and heading towards Westeros. Whether she goes straight to Westeros, or whether she manages to get everyone there at once are another matter. I just see it as the mechanism for the plot to progress.

I agree, with the Iron Fleet being the mechanism to get her there. I just don't want her to bring any Unsullied or Dothraki with her. The idea of her somehow uniting all the military forces of Essos just disgusts me.

If Meereen is torched once and for all. If GRRM goes that way... I think the mechanism for it will be the Dothraki she brings from the plains (to save her people) run amok out of control. The dragons have already made a start on Meereen. The uncontrolable ferocity of the Dothraki have always been a nagging terror in the back of my mind. 10 000 Dothraki screamers set loose on Westeros!! What was anyone thinking? There will be nothing left to rule. All the castles will starve cut off by Dothraki. Though the Dothraki may not handle winter well.

Nontheless, there is a reason there are no living settlement up the Rhoyne or on the Dothraki sea. None would survive the Dothraki. The Dothraki don't conquer and rule. They kill, pillage and burn.

There is a long-standing, carefully maintained balance between the Dothraki and the Free Cities. The Free Cities have an understanding with the Dothraki. But once loosed, they may not be leashable.

But the superstitious Dothraki fear dragons and so make raze and pillage the rest of Meereen leaving only two lone pyramids as testament to the presence of Old Ghis, each inhabited by a happy dragon.

Yes, the ironic ending for Meereen. Perhaps.

Archived