What were the best/worst 'Dues Ex Machina' moments in ASoIaF?

A Content Peasant

Ramsay Bolton somehow manages to fight and slaughter an army of northmen, roughly five times the size of his own force... and loses only "twenty or thirty" men.

Eh. The element of surprise can be great and everything, but those odds are dubious.

I can't really think of anything that bad, other than Mance trusting Jon after the Fist of the First Men. This series doesn't really have that many plot holes, at least none as glaring as "Why didn't they just ride the eagles to Mordor?"

Because Sauron has spies in the air.

Not exactly "Deus ex mashina", but... maybe slightly. Jaqen gives Arya a coin and she is suddenly going not to find Jon at The Wall, but to the other end of the world :dunno:

I was going to say maybe Jaqen's appearance and the coin. But I'm a fan of where he took Arya's storyline.

But so far no one has pulled the Sword of Gryffindor out of a Sorting Hat randomly delivered by a mortal wound healing phoenix, so I'm happy.

I was going to say maybe Jaqen's appearance and the coin. But I'm a fan of where he took Arya's storyline.

But so far no one has pulled the Sword of Gryffindor out of a Sorting Hat randomly delivered by a mortal wound healing phoenix, so I'm happy.

Someone had pulled a dragonglass knife out of a bundle burried randomly in the ground :P And slayed an Other.

And if you like where the story goes, it does not make it not Deux ex Mashina. :D

And if you like where the story goes, it does not make it not Deux ex Mashina. :D

Oh, trust me, I know. I have a college degree in English Literature of all things. But this thread asked whether or not we thought the deus ex machina was good or bad. And I consider Arya's story awesome.

Wikipedia on the subject:

A deus ex machina (11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png/ˈd.əs ɛks ˈmɑːknə/ or /ˈdəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/ day-əs eks mah-kee-nə;[1] Latin: "god out of the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object.

For example:

Stannis attacking Mance

Given what we learn of Stannis throughout the books, and how the last Davos chapter ended, the event is both in character for the participants and properly foreshadowed. The timing was convenient, for sure, but I don't think it's enough to qualify as a DEM.

Given what we learn of Stannis throughout the books, and how the last Davos chapter ended, the event is both in character for the participants and properly foreshadowed. The timing was convenient, for sure, but I don't think it's enough to qualify as a DEM.

I think the same. It was reasonable.

Someone had pulled a dragonglass knife out of a bundle burried randomly in the ground

Well, not a DEM, but a mystery that is still to be explained that is... maybe, for me, the most intriguing one...

Yes, the dragons (and Dany surviving the fire) is definitely a great one. It totally changed the situation to her advantage (created faithful Dothraki servants who worshipped her, gave her the power of the dragons, made her famous with people flocking to see her and made people rally to her cause). Stannis deciding to save the Wall was another (it broke up the wildling alliance, put Mance out of power and into their hands, also changed Jon's fate). Another was Coldhands saving Sam and Gilly. Sam showing Bran, Hodor and the Reeds how to cross the Wall. Jaqen H'ghar helping Arya in Harrenhal and giving her the coin. Yoren taking Arya away from King's Landing. Bad ones would be Sansa telling Cersei about Ned's plans. The Red Wedding. Thoros bringing Catelyn back.

Wikipedia on the subject: For example: Given what we learn of Stannis throughout the books, and how the last Davos chapter ended, the event is both in character for the participants and properly foreshadowed. The timing was convenient, for sure, but I don't think it's enough to qualify as a DEM.
Well, the phrase Deus ex Machina came from ancient Greek theatre, where a god would usually show up at the end of a play to solve the main problem of the play, or give a satisfying conclusion for the audience. Gods would appear to come from the heavens, so the actor playing the god would descend to the stage by a crane, thus Machina==> Machine in English, meaning the crane. Strictly speaking the phrase (its modern meaning, that is), means an unexpected plot device solving the problem, but I guess we can apply it loosely here. With Martin's style of writing, many things can be foreshadowed but sometimes you think the plot is leading you some place but it ends up completely different. Also, the phrase can be applied in real life, not just fiction. So, for example, if I am in great debt and a wealthy benefactor shows up out of nowhere and gives me money, I can say that he was my Deus ex Machina. So, applied in that sense, if we take it from the characters' point of view (which is how the book is written), Stannis attacking the wildlings would have appeared as a Deus ex Machina for Jon and the other Black Brothers.

Archived