What were the best/worst 'Dues Ex Machina' moments in ASoIaF?

A Content Peasant

Wikipedia on the subject:

For example:

Given what we learn of Stannis throughout the books, and how the last Davos chapter ended, the event is both in character for the participants and properly foreshadowed. The timing was convenient, for sure, but I don't think it's enough to qualify as a DEM.

My problem really is the timing. The entire series is ridiculed with inconsistencies of how long it takes to travel and the like. In some instances, characters traverse nearly the entirety Westeros in the span of 5-6 chapters, in others it takes them close to a whole book just to go halfway. (And it's not like one of them was riding a thoroughbred and the other was walking or anything.) And the fact that Stannis arrived right as Jon was about to make the most fateful decision of his life.... :rolleyes:

DEM. An object burried randomly and conviniently in wast lands brings down the greatest enemy.

Not a DEM - it's largely the backstory behind that part of the plot. The buried object was a weapon designed to bring down that enemy, and was (probably) for recovery later on when that enemy reappeared.

Dany having no idea what she is doing, walking into a funeral pyre, making it out alive and hatching three dragons on the way...that's the biggest one for me.

Yep, almost the very definition of Deus Ex Macchina - only with Dragons instead of the Gods.

@The King in the South

Burning a Florent alive will give your fleet some extra " ears " to catch the " screams ", but I see you´re point. I was so happy to see Stannis heeding Davos, that I gladly overlooked this. So I declare it one of the best Deus Ex Machina moment.

Edit for grammar

I dunno, not saying that the timing is bad or good, just really convenient to bring suspens and thrill until the last moment...

It was like, you know: all is lost, despair everywhere on the Wall, and then, suddenly: NO ! *epic music ala Helm's Deep*, charge of the cavalry, hope and light coming back to the hearts of the good people of the Night's Watch and hurray hurray, all is good.*

And to be honest, I found this a little bit too much and convenient.

Lord Mormont's raven popping out of the kettle and saying "Snow" during the voting for Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

if you believe

that the raven is being warged by Bloodraven, who is now mostly weirwood, and because weirwoods are considered gods by the COTF

then you have a real Deus in the Machina.

Lord Mormont's raven popping out of the kettle and saying "Snow" during the voting for Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

if you believe

that the raven is being warged by Bloodraven, who is now mostly weirwood, and because weirwoods are considered gods by the COTF

then you have a real Deus in the Machina.

I think Sam had done the groundwork for this already.The raven is kind of a boost to the resolution.

Even though Jon had written the kings to ask for aid and Davos had convinced Stannis to go?

Yes. Dany getting the dragons was pretty heavily foreshadowed and I definitely saw and reasoned the story going in that direction. Stannis showing up at the wall was not a very character-driven choice. It's understandable, but somewhat out of character and is relatively tenuously related only to Mellisandre's prophecies which have hijacked Stannis' character.

None of these really qualify for a Deus ex Machina. The Stannis saving Jon one comes closest but that had tons of proper build up with a firm place in Davos' and Stannis' story.

I actually agree here too. This, like the 'plotholes' thread, is pretty much based on thing's you have trouble believing rather than actual Deus ex machina.

My problem really is the timing. The entire series is ridiculed with inconsistencies of how long it takes to travel and the like. In some instances, characters traverse nearly the entirety Westeros in the span of 5-6 chapters, in others it takes them close to a whole book just to go halfway. (And it's not like one of them was riding a thoroughbred and the other was walking or anything.) And the fact that Stannis arrived right as Jon was about to make the most fateful decision of his life.... :rolleyes:

Yea also i would like to point out how Aegon 6th arrived and conquered storm's end and the southern minor houses(tarth,stepstones) in like what,about 200-300 pages that he's got screentime in the books?

And Daenerys takes about 400 pages to reach quarth? About 600 pages of ruling mereene???

Archived