Odds of Jaime and Brienne Ending Up Together

Ser Adam Dayne

Jaime's been surounded by manipulators, liars and dishonourable people his whole life. He may have joined the Kinsgard because he wanted to be honourable and good but the reality of life made him betray his ideals (not intervening when the mad king hurt his wife or killed people on a whim, getting involved with his sister and betraying King Robert, being the kingslayer, etc..). I think he sees the goodness and honour in Brienne as more and more desirable and a reminder of how far he has fallen. He is kind to Pia and protective of her due to her appalling treatment by men and finally starts showing some the true qualities of knighthood - e.g. protecting the weak regardless of birth. Love is blind and he may fall for Brienne but he may also sacrifice himself in an attempt to prove his honour. He may finally end up being the honourable (though guilt-ridden) knight he always wanted to be but people will still see him as the old, dishonourable, betrayer. I can't see him surviving the series even though I'm starting to respect him. (i.e. I haven't read ADWD yet so things may change).

Apart from Brienne, I wonder how many other people actually know the true story of what mad Aerys had planned for the final burning of all the people in KL? Jaime mentions that one of the requirements of the KG was to keep the king's secrets, including things like marital brutality and rape. Tyrion may know (can anyone confirm?), but I don't think Tywin ever did. Because if he had known, I am quite sure that as the proud Lannister patriarch, he would have told the nobles, other KG members and the KL people exactly what Jaime's actions had saved them from.

Interesting then that he told the true story to Brienne of all people. A recognition of what they have in common? An instictive appreciation that Brienne would keep the confidence and not tell others? Both Jaime and Brienne live their lives dealing with how people react to them on the basis of preconceptions - Brienne because of her physical appearance and manner, Jaime because he is the Kingslayer who broke his oath. Just as very few people would ever get to know the 'real' Brienne, it seems to me that her re-evaluation of Jaime's character starts from this incident, and not the later rescue from the bearpit.

• 1 month later...

Everyone saying that Brienne is ugly, are we so sure she is? The actress chosen to play her sure isn't, and she's apparently supposed to be how GRRM imagined Brienne, I think she's just called ugly by men because they feel threatened by her being stronger than them, and called ugly by women because of her masculine 'profession'. So Jaime might actually think she's pretty, she's supposed to have very nice eyes too, and he admires her. I think they definitely have feelings for each other, even if they've not acknowledged them yet, but sadly this is ASOIAF and there's probably not going to be a happy ending... I'm still hoping for them to fall in love before they die/are further maimed/other horrible stuff happens. Jaime getting Brienne pregnant with his bastard before dying would be bittersweet enough, and it's probably the best I can hope for :)

Edit: fixed my text, no idea why it was so small!

Come on, Jaime thinks she's VERY ugly,,, he comments on her ugliness or thinks about it more than twice per chapter.... And after her encounter with Biter, she could never be physically attractive.

At the beginning Jaime thought her very ugly but at they spend time together he starts to see her in different light. He starts to pick out her best features (her eyes) and start to see her as more womanly, similar to how Jon started to appreciate Ygritte's looks the longer Jon spent with her. I kinda think Jaime's falling in love (but he doesn't know it) because its classic that you see only the best about someone you're falling for, while their less attractive features/characteristics become insigificant. I wonder if he's ever truly been in love? Hopefully he will realise that what he feels for his sister is a poor imitation of head-over-heels, will-do-anything-to-be-near, glorious, crazy, painful, ecstatic love.

seemed to remember that Jaime found her fairly repulsive to look upon. I know that he is on a saintly character arc but that doesn't mean the guy has to drop his standards.

So gradually learning to value (perhaps even love) someone for their inner qualities and character rather than mere physical looks is somehow "dropping his standards"? I'd call it coming to his senses!

After he gave her Oathkeeper, he sat there for a while after she left, "the shadows crept across the room", then he wrote in the White Book:

Returned safely to King's Landing by Brienne, Maid of Tarth

But she didn't actually do that, she wanted to, and she tried, but it's interesting that in his mind, she did.

After he gave her Oathkeeper, he sat there for a while after she left, "the shadows crept across the room", then he wrote in the White Book:

But she didn't actually do that, she wanted to, and she tried, but it's interesting that in his mind, she did.

I think it's even more than that - he probably thinks she will never be acknowledged by history or songs for her valor as a knight; that's his way of honoring her and keeping the memory alive.

I think it's even more than that - he probably thinks she will never be acknowledged by history or songs for her valor as a knight; that's his way of honoring her and keeping the memory alive.

That's my take too. She made a vow and kept it.

Also, to answer the original question. The odds of them ending up together, I'd say they are somewhere between slim and none.

I've said it before and will again. Why, oh why, does Brienne have to love the best-looking guys in the Realm? First, Renly, who both Brienne and Sansa thought was the best-looking guy in the kingdom, then Jaime (my fave POV). It drives me as nuts as does Tyrion's desire for only gorgeous women. I want to reach through the book and give Brienne a copy of Smart Women, Foolish Choices.

I don't know about "Smart Women, Foolish Choices" - is that a self-help book? Does it imply that it is foolish for an intelligent person (woman) to want a partner "better looking" than herself? I hope it's not that simple...

Anyway, being a "smart woman" (many may not agree, me included, but I do suffer from an "impressing" IQ), and of rather average looks, I'd say this:

Genetic Reasons.

In Tyrion's case: He's got the brains (now that's just my opinion of course), but his offspring could certainly do with a bit of improvement in the looks department.

Brienne: Her potential kids could also benefit from some beauty genes, not to mention from some wits and sense of humour, which seems to be a frequent Lannister trait.

Don't take this too seriously... though so far I'm personally quite happy about my choice of partner (smart and good-looking) :blush:

If I get over the fact that I really don't want Jaime and Brienne to end up together, it's still unlikely.

Jaime is still Kingsguard, you see. If the Targaryen's win the Throne he'll be executed, most probably, if Stannis wins the Throne, he'll be arrested and put to trial. And as long as the Lannister-Tyrell combo keeps on paddling, to use a Varys phrase, Jaime remains Kingsguard and can't end up with Brienne.

From Brienne's POV. She's honorable beyond imagination and knows Jaime is Kingsguard.

Now the only way into a relationship for the two seems to be an arrested Jaime sentenced to death and Brienne helping him escape for the second time. Might be... But who knows.

0.1% that these two characters end up together. And the number of folks who want that to happen is surprising to me. No matter how much Jaime may change, he is not good enough for Brianne. He threw a child off a tower and crippled that child for life ... while he was 'sexing up' his sister. And why on earth so many folks want brave Brianne to be either stuck as a wife or stuck with a bastard is beyond me. What -- that Jaime's seed would be so terribly great that she would love being a mother? Does anybody see Brianne as the mother type? Because I don't. I like Brianne the very way she is and I do not view her as incomplete because she is not paired up with a man.

Finally, another poster mentioned that GRRM is not a zero-sum writer. First, if I assume that the number of happy couples is very low in ASOIAF (and it is), and then assume that the modest number of happy unions continues, then I have to decide if I, as a reader, want to spend my few 'happy every after coins' on Brienne and Jamie. Nope, I don't want to. I would rather see some happiness ahead for Sansa or Jon or Tyrion.

I was thinking that Brienne thinks a lot about her singing. She thinks that she hasn't sung to her father, or to Renly, and it's something she feels as protective about as she feels about her virginity. So I think that while the odds of Jaime's and Brienne's hook up are rather low (I just can't picture them in a sex scene!), she might sing to him instead of giving her maidenhood to him. Something symbolic like that

Archived