When did Stannis Baratheon become your favourite character?

TheFlayedMan

I have a feeling that your hinting we should not hijack this thread. But i have never been one to pick up on hints. :D .

FDR beat the Nazis and Licnoln preserved the union. What did Adams do besides getting most of his laws reversed (thank God) by Jefferson.

The Interment camps and the suspension of habeas corpus are def unjustifiable yet both of these laws are only possible with John Adams precedents.

Also Lincoln was our 16th (USA is a century old) FDR was our 32nd (USA is a century and a half old) Adams was our 2nd (10 years old) Thats when we need a strong prez, not a psycho (I wont retract that statement)

Ok this is my last threadjack post, I'll let you have the last word. But if you think it's defensible to trash civil liberties in the service of a just war, you should also think it is defensible to trash civil liberities, as Adams, did, with the purpose of preventing war- which was the aim of the Alien and Sedition acts, cooling tensions with France and Britain/quieting pro-French and pro-British voices in America and avoiding war. Personally, I think it is not defensible (but is forgivable) in either the service of winning or preventing war, but I don't think it's fair to defend the one and not the other. Edit: I misread what you wrote so discount everything I said about you calling it defensible to trash civil liberties, :P.

Back to Stannis. Another great Stannis moment from the TWoW chapter:

"Lord Ramsay is the one Your Grace should fear."

Stannis bristled at that. "I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

I like Stannis as a vehicle to annoy the hell out of the powers that be at KL. He is strict with himself as he is with others. I did not like the Davos' fingers' method of punishment (a little community service mayhaps? He did save your life?) but I like that he has recognized what a good person Davos is. I agree that he is the true successor of Robert, but I am a little concerned about this Messiah complex he has developed because of Meli.

Upon re-reading the series he's certainly become one of my favourites. The sample chapter from TWoW has only made me more of a fan:

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

At first I was looking forward to seeing what this Stannis guy was all about. Then we meet him in ACoK and all I could think was 'this guy's family/situation is a trainwreck'. He doesn't come across as likeable and imagining a family photo of his household would just be... sad. But then you see him later in his chats with Davos and his memories of the rebellion and you really start pulling for him even though there seems to be nothing he can possibly do.

Then at the wall you realize again that this guy knows what was going on in KL before the story started and is a valuable source of information, as well as his dry humor becoming more and more evident. The quote in my sig had me laughing out loud, and after that I wanted more and more scenes with this guy. ADwD scenes with Jon are some of my favorites in the series.

I guess after reading parts of the story involving him, you think 'when is this guy going to give up?' and then you remember people saying earlier that he never gives up, no matter what. It's a freakin' miracle that he is where he is considering the oceans of adversity he's waded through, even if he still isn't in the greatest of situations.

I already felt some kind of morbid fascination for him; I laughed at his jokes in the few occasions he made one (reminded me of my own jokes, really O.o), but there was something in him that repelled me (I think it was both Melisandre and Selyse, actually). But he became my favorite after he arrived at the Wall and through all his interactions with Jon. Now I'm re-reading all the chapters he appears in before I even re-read the whole series. And I'm having so much fun doing that.

Okay, I'll be perfectly honest now: I began to love him after the Wall, but he only became my favorite after it was announced that Stephen Dillane would play him, and that put the character in a whole new perspective to me. :bowdown:

I definitely liked the old stannis when he choose to eat rat rather than to surrender storm's end during robbert's war and when he smashed iron fleet of Victorian. But now this new stannis i am not sure he seems like a man who has no self confidence. He uses magic of melisandre in every possible situation. He used shadow baby to kill renly, i can understand that in that case he has no other option than to use magic because renly had a great army behind him and stannis can not win against renly in battle but when he used the second shadow baby to kill the person in storm's end it was horrible, because at that time stannis had a great army in his back and he should have used other tactics than magic. Then he used three leaches to kill three king, believing again in magic ( i know all the three deaths were fully planned and the leaches has nothing to do with those death, but to stannis it was due to leaches). Stannis even goes as far as killing edric storm a mere boy who is totally innocent. I won't be surprised if stannis interprets the new development in the north ( his possible win against fray and bolton, his knowledge of karstark plane etc) as a gift of his fire god because he has just burned three people. I can not support this stannis he has no confidence in him.

I definitely liked the old stannis when he choose to eat rat rather than to surrender storm's end during robbert's war and when he smashed iron fleet of Victorian. But now this new stannis i am not sure he seems like a man who has no self confidence. He uses magic of melisandre in every possible situation. He used shadow baby to kill renly, i can understand that in that case he has no other option than to use magic because renly had a great army behind him and stannis can not win against renly in battle but when he used the second shadow baby to kill the person in storm's end it was horrible, because at that time stannis had a great army in his back and he should have used other tactics than magic. Then he used three leaches to kill three king, believing again in magic ( i know all the three deaths were fully planned and the leaches has nothing to do with those death, but to stannis it was due to leaches). Stannis even goes as far as killing edric storm a mere boy who is totally innocent. I won't be surprised if stannis interprets the new development in the north ( his possible win against fray and bolton, his knowledge of karstark plane etc) as a gift of his fire god because he has just burned three people. I can not support this stannis he has no confidence in him.

Have you read the Theon chapter from TWoW? I definitely don't think Stannis lacks confidence.

He didn't kill Edric, because Davos took him away, but he might have caved to Melissandre. I don't like any character who refuses to compromise. I mean, this is the same dude who wanted to close the brothels simply because he doesn't enjoy sex, and doesn't want anyone else to. No me gusta.

really? I like Stannis for sure, and John Adams... he created my fucking country, its impossible to not respect him for that reason alone. However Stannis is a fucking psycho that has big brother issues and would chop off his men's fingers, etc etc.

John Adams was a pretty shitty prez. He pissed off every other nation, he thought he was god, he pissed all over the 1st amendment and his wacky laws were precedents for all types of stupid presidental laws

Im an Englishman i mean a proper patriotic imperialist loving Englishman but i love John Adams!

To be honest I hated him in ACoK because of all the burning and everyone in Westeros saying how "hard" a man he is. Then he became alright I guess when he uttered THEN WE WILL MAKE NEW LORDS. When he came to the Wall I hated him again :drunk:

He became my favorite since I read The King's Prize chapter. I'm a latecomer. :ph34r:

Perhaps some bad foreshadowing here, if you recall what the Bastard of Bolton did to Winterfell...

Pfft, Stannis won't sweat that.

He'll retake Winterfell and hang the Bastard, or burn him. Probably burn some Freys as well cause that's how he rolls.

Archived