When did Stannis Baratheon become your favourite character?

TheFlayedMan

I started liking him when I read about him on Davos' POV. Just seeing how it appears that no one likes him but he was able to instill undying loyalty to the few who do like him says to me that he is going to be that blunt man with a sarcastic tongue for a sword. Yes, he did questionable things, but it did strike me that he is not confused as to what is right and wrong, I think he knows that some of the things he did are questionable but did it anyway (contrast that with e.g. Cersei who believes she is always right).

I was really able to connect to the character because although I try to be polite, I'm quite blunt, and that certainly did not do me any favors growing up, and I had few friends (although my few friends are proving to be very loyal).

In short, whatever comes out of his mouth is gold.

The sample chapter from TWOW.

exact same for me. When he said that little speech that ended with "let them come" i was PUMPED

All he had to do was sit inside his castle whilst we starved. Instead he has sent some portion of his strength forth to give us battle. His knights will be horsed, ours must fight afoot. His men will be well nourished, ours go into battle with empty bellies. It makes no matter. Ser Stupid, Lord Too-Fat, the Bastard, let them come.

BAD ASS :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

When he had his Hand burned alive. True King of Seven Kingdoms, him, keeping traditions alive and whatnot.

But yes, in sixth book I begin to find him actually likable. Goodness, he even said "rightful king" but once in the entire chapter.

• 1 month later...

It is sad that he's being manipulated by melisandre. She seems to be his one weakness, not the girl but the fact that she has convinced him he's the messiah. This plays into almost all of his actions. Its good he's not above most "unkingly" things like feasting the northern mountain tribes instead of going on about how they should come to him to pledge him fealty like a joffrey would, but in the end he still does questionable things like burning the seven and killing people with fire instead of a less painful execution. He does it all because he thinks its his duty as azor ahai but he still does them. He's one of my favorites which is why melisandre is one of my least favorites.

• 3 months later...

Nursing the hurt hawk back to health.

I had always respected him as a man of duty and I fully respected his claim and right to the throne and I'd been excited about meeting him since the first book. The hurt hawk shows he is not just a cold psychopath hell-bent on getting what he wants. Especially the speech about 'wants not coming into it'. Every time he mentions his daughter Shireen.

AND THE NOD AFTER 'EDD, FETCH ME A BLOCK'

YES, YES, ALWAYS YES.

Stannis at the Wall is GOLD.

And TWOW sample chapter; awwwwww yeaaaaah.

Not my favorite, but has grown on me and maybe on my re-reads will grow on me more as Jon Snow has (who is my favorite). But the moment when I switched from indifferent to starting to like him was when he made Davos his Hand. I loved that part and then when Davos defied him about Edric Storm and he listened to his advise about going North and then he showed up and saved the day. All of that was amazing and made me like him and he's growing on me. And I love the Theon chapter from TWOW - so here's hoping for more good Stannis stuff in the next book whenever we get to read it.

I noticed him for his sense of justice from the start and didn't dislike him. But when he went to the Wall, that's when I just realized that I really like him. The Jon/Stannis banter just proved me right :smug: He's one of my favourites, yes.

ETA: Also, Stannis love-fest, yay! :grouphug:

and then TV series came....and he: http://www.imdb.com/...32832/nm0226820 http://www.imdb.com/...54944/nm0226820 was in... What more I can say?

Swoon! :wub:

i dont really know tbh. somehow his character is infinitely more awesome on rereads.

Yeppers! I always liked him, but re-reading him is beyond awesome!

Nursing the hurt hawk back to health.

I had always respected him as a man of duty and I fully respected his claim and right to the throne and I'd been excited about meeting him since the first book. The hurt hawk shows he is not just a cold psychopath hell-bent on getting what he wants. Especially the speech about 'wants not coming into it'. Every time he mentions his daughter Shireen.

AND THE NOD AFTER 'EDD, FETCH ME A BLOCK'

YES, YES, ALWAYS YES.

Stannis at the Wall is GOLD.

And TWOW sample chapter; awwwwww yeaaaaah.

:agree:

Jon's Queen Consort!!! :o Where have you been? Welcome back! ^_^

I was on a trip to Valyria to find the egg that Euron threw out :drunk: ... but I am here now :smug: Nice to meet you again Little Wing :cheers:

Yes.

Good! I thought that I was the only one who find him beautiful :drunk:

Archived