When did Stannis Baratheon become your favourite character?

TheFlayedMan

This is a silly term, it's basically everyone that's older than you :lol:

Older means way older to me lol.

When I saw Stannis in the series I knew lots of girls would be going gaga over his mature looks etc. And am I the only one who, upon hearing his name, thought he was older than Robert? xD

When I saw Stannis in the series I knew lots of girls would be going gaga over his mature looks etc. And am I the only one who, upon hearing his name, thought he was older than Robert? xD

Hmmm, not really saw, but when I first read about him, he has the air of being older, probably because he seemed to have acted like one when he and Renly were kids (especially when their parents died). It seemed like Robert can't be bothered/wasn't around because he was fostered.

“It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert’s heir. That is law. After me, it must pass to my daughter, unless Selyse should finally give me a son.” He ran three fingers lightly down the table, over the layers of smooth hard varnish, dark with age. “I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother. The Lannister woman gave him horns and made a motley fool of him. She may have murdered him as well, as she murdered Jon Arryn and Ned Stark. For such crimes there must be justice. Starting with Cersei and her abominations. But only starting. I mean to scour that court clean. As Robert should have done, after the Trident."

this is one of my favorite Stannis quotes and it is more than enough reason to throw on'es support behind him, he is the rightful heir to the iron throne and the one true king of westeros,

what a badass

and i do love the fact that in the end, when he had to choose between his king and his blood, that Stannis had chosen Robert and rose as well in rebellion. What a stand up guy.

and for everyone that says, "he knowingly killed renly", to me it didn't read that way in the novel, Stannis later remarked to Davos that he was alone and asleep in his chamber at dawn, when we know the shadow was stabbing renly. Not that we don't kniw for sure that Stannis's embrace with Melissandre create that shadow, we do, but the way Stannis explains where he was and how he felt, i'm left thinking that he didn't necessarily know Melissandre was going to birth a shadow as a result of their fornication, in a way i feel like she tricked him, and that he never would have endorsed a straight up assassination of renly if that was what was suggested, anyone else get the same feeling?

and i do love the fact that in the end, when he had to choose between his king and his blood, that Stannis had chosen Robert and rose as well in rebellion. What a stand up guy.

and for everyone that says, "he knowingly killed renly", to me it didn't read that way in the novel, Stannis later remarked to Davos that he was alone and asleep in his chamber at dawn, when we know the shadow was stabbing renly. Not that we don't kniw for sure that Stannis's embrace with Melissandre create that shadow, we do, but the way Stannis explains where he was and how he felt, i'm left thinking that he didn't necessarily know Melissandre was going to birth a shadow as a result of their fornication, in a way i feel like she tricked him, and that he never would have endorsed a straight up assassination of renly if that was what was suggested, anyone else get the same feeling?

I didnt know people thought otherwise. Stannis is an honest guy, so if he knew Mel was going to kill Renly he wouldnt lie about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ned to LF in got.

"the throne by rights passes to lord Stannis, the elder of roberts two brothers." Lord petyr stroked his pointed beard as he considered the matter. "So it would seem. Unless..." "unless, my lord? There is no seeming to this. Stannis is the heir. Nothing can change that."

Thats when I knew.

I didn't really think much of Stannis until joining this forum and starting my re-read of ASOS. In fact, initially I thought of him as a tight-ass, solemn, pouty, entitled jerk waiting for the realm to grant him his crown.

I can't say a definitive point in the books (although I will certainly identify them when I re-read his march to the wall), but I will share a couple of pinnacle moments in the HBO season:

The table sex scene with Mel made me realized he wasn't just espousing his entitlement, he was strong enough to TAKE BACK what was rightfully his.

Then when he nearly choked her to death after the battle at blackwater, I knew he wasn't afraid of her. Also his fearless fighting at Kings Landing was impressive.

Okay - so I'm not a die-hard Stannis fan, but I'm warming up to him.

Archived