When did Stannis Baratheon become your favourite character?

TheFlayedMan

this. (except the Robb parts)

Hey, we all can't have the ability to recognize sheer quality when we first start the series ;) I still like Robb a lot, but I like Stannis more now.

Hey, we all can't have the ability to recognize sheer quality when we first start the series ;) I still like Robb a lot, but I like Stannis more now.

LOL , I didn't mean Robb was/is bad , actually I kinda respected him and I still do. but because Robb wasn't in my top 5 favorite characters , I never compared him with Stannis . :)

^ Stannis a POV for one chapter? You know what is likely to happen then don't you? :/

The gift TWOW chapter is as close as we'll get to a Stannis POV imo, Theon is just the camera, but it's all about Stannis.

For me it was 'Stannis! Stannis! Stannis!'

I always thought he was interesting because, a man who Tywin is more or less afraid of? That has to be a badass. His speech about giving all those leeches in King's Landing their dues appealed to me as well. It was the moment he saves the day at the wall that really did it for me though, before that, on my first read, I was mostly rooting for Robb.

He's a means to an end for me. Once he seizes the Iron Throne, Shireen can rightly take her place as Crown Princess. After that point, the sooner Stannis dies the better. All hail Queen Shireen!

To be honest since her debut on the show I've become a lot more into the idea of Shireen becoming queen in the unfortunate event of Stannis' death. I'd love to see her pwn Dany in a "War of the Queens" or something like that.

When he turned down Ser Axell's stupid and evil suggestion of sacking Claw Isle, and instead followed Davos's advice and went North to the Wall to help the NW defeat the Wildlings and win the Northmen to his side. Also making him his Hand and naming him Lord of the Rainwood which sounds really awesome even though it's probably just a Title. It showed how much he appreciated Davos's service and sacrifices.

When he first ground his teeth :P

Seriously, when he elevated Davos of house Seaworth to Lord Hand. Yes, Stannis ain't personally too likeable, but he is pretty sensible. Quite often, leaders who were liked brought ruin (in Westeros, Robert... On Earth, lots of examples), while stern strict weirdos often proved their worth (unless they went too far, but Stannis knows how to - grinding his teeth - compromise).

He's now in my top 10 fave. l liked him in the beginning mainly because he is a just man with a huge amount of tenacity. By adwd he had my respect. ln twow, when the spoiler chapter was released, where he told Massey to place shireen on the lT or die trying...well let's just say l wish there more men who cared about their daughters like that. He gave absolutely no shits that shireen is female, his daughter is his heir, and that's that. Anyone who objects can take it up with him :bowdown:.

well done daddy Baratheon, well done.

I knew I liked Stannis from his first appearance, but it took me a while to admit it. I love his moral code, and that you can almost always predict what he will do because of it. His connection with Davos is another huge reason. Most lords would have been grateful for what the Onion Night did for him during the siege, but how many would make a low-born smuggler his most trusted non-religious zealot adviser? Maybe only Eddard Stark

Jon Snow was always been my favorite character, so when these two became one of GRRM's unusual pairings I was pleased. Their interactions made me like Stannis more and more, and I think Melisandre is correct, they are more similar than either would like to admit. The kicker for me was when Jon beheaded Janos Slint and then received a nod of approval from Stannis. That's game recognizing game.

But yeah, when he lists all the battles he's won in TWOW chapter, it just showed how freaking ruthless he is number one. Secondly, all Theon did by telling him that Ramsey is to be feared was put Stannis in little brother mode where he feels like he needs to prove himself one more time. In fact, that might be Stannis' most "like a boss" chapter in the whole series.

I think Stannis will be on the Iron Throne when Dany finally gets to Westeros.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Stannis is a close second only to Jon in terms of a favorite character. So naturally their interactions are amongst my favorite in the series. I definitely get the sense of an estranged father-son thing between them. I think they both notice their similarities but choose not to acknowledge them. Stannis's dry, bitter sense of humor always get me as well. He became a favorite of mine when he said something along the lines of: "Robert could piss in a cup and men would call it wine, but I offer them cold clear water and they squint in suspicion and mutter to each other about how queer it tastes." It also seems like Stannis is the only one who actually acknowledges Jon's worth and potential, when everyone else is so keen to write him off. Stannis sees himself in Jon. I had to re-read "The Nod" part after Janos beheading because I was so stoked. The TWoW Theon chapter gave me chills when Theon was so amused to say that everything including the terrain was against Stannis and Stannis rewarded Theon with one of his rare smiles and said "Yet". There isn't a single ounce of fuck-around in Stannis.

^^^I guess you're right but I don't think they realized his "ceiling" as a leader like Stannis and Mel do. Just my opinion. I was also referring to people of "substance" (poor term) as in lords and commanders. Jeor and Aemon, however, you are spot on about. Slipped my mind. I gets passionate about my Stannis, man.

Jon is my all time favourite, but Stannis became very close second when I read sample chapter of the winds of winter.

I still wish he'll be a POV. even if for just one chapter, when he's sitting on the iron throne. :)

I doubt the when he's sitting on the iron throne, but, I fervently hope that if there's a Robert's rebellion book for a prequel stannis will be a POV. one of the major ones I wish.

Stannis isn't even In my top ten

1. Jon Snow

2. Jaime Lannister

3. Theon Greyjoy

4. Ned Stark

5. Davos Seaworth

6. Catelyn Stark

7. Robb Stark

8. Samwell Tarly

9. Sansa Stark

10. Cersei Lannister

11. Arya Stark

12. Oberyn Martell

13. Ser Arthur Dayne(If he got more page time then He would probably be my #1)

14. Bran Stark

15. Edmure Tully

16. Blackfish

17. Wyman Manderly

18. STANNIS BARATHEON

19. Tyrion Lannister (because of his fuckin DWD chapters)

20. Greatjon Umber

Archived